• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did any of y'all actually read his tweets? There were only two of them and he was just sad to see the number of pirates so high. A far cry from "freaking out" or "pissing himself." It's the reality of the industry, yeah, but that doesn't mean it isn't shitty to see it being pirated so much.

I think the last game I pirated (not counting ROMs) was a copy of starcraft in 1998 or something

starcraft's copy protection was so bad that sometimes i would install it just to see how many attempts at randomly inputting numbers it would take to get past it.

It usually took a couple of tries lol

Did any of y'all actually read his tweets? There were only two of them and he was just sad to see the number of pirates so high. A far cry from "freaking out" or "pissing himself." It's the reality of the industry, yeah, but that doesn't mean it isn't shitty to see it being pirated so much.

why say anything if it didn't bother you in some way, though?

Blow is seen as a sort of ambassador to the indie scene by many, it makes a big splash if he's coming out and saying stuff like 90% of the PC copies of his game are pirated copies.

If he didn't intend for the big bruhaha about this stuff then why mention it?

yami4ct

I think the last game I pirated (not counting ROMs) was a copy of starcraft in 1998 or something

I occasionally have to pirate shit due to availability (I feel like shit every time and I try to buy march or something to make up for it). I honestly can't remember the last time I pirated something I could legally purchase. I don't even have that much expendable cash, being a poor college student with many other hobbies.

If I want a game at launch, I plan and budget it in. I then make what games I buy count and if I'm about to pick up a backlog, I try to push stuff back and buy on sale. I really don't see a need to pirate. I would feel like such a shitty person if I did.

It's how the tweets were read/reported on.

Hey, we now know Austin's age (more or less). On the Beastcast, he said he was born in 1985. (Edit- It's on the Wiki already)

According to the Wiki it goes like this:
Jeff (08/01/1975), Jason (1977 maybe*), Vinny (05/10/1978), Brad (07/20/1979) Rorie (11/10/1979), Alex (11/18/1981), Dan (06/16/1984), Austin (07/26/1985), and Drew (05/19/1986).

*He doesn't have a Wiki entry for some reason. I came up with 1977 because last year he said his first son was 22, which meant he was born in 1993. Jason said he as 16 when his son was born. If Jason was 16 in 1993, that would mean he was born in 1977.

why say anything if it didn't bother you in some way, though?

Blow is seen as a sort of ambassador to the indie scene by many, it makes a big splash if he's coming out and saying stuff like 90% of the PC copies of his game are pirated copies.

If he didn't intend for the big bruhaha about this stuff then why mention it?

Because it sucks? I don't think he opened his twitter app and thought "hmm, time to start a shitstorm." He was just expressing his disappointment at seeing it so pirated so soon in the context of future projects. I wouldn't read so much into it.

Here's a quote from the thread about it that sums up my thoughts pretty well:

I've only really seen one post that seems to actually do that. Most I've seen are people saying that 1 pirated copy != 1 lost sale. That is also sort of weird because I didn't get that at all from Blow's comments. I interpreted it more like, "Hey people who pirated: If you want to help us continue to create games of this size and scope, please consider buying it."

jaina

xFfdeIk.png
great <3

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
After 2 hours with the Division I'm convinced that the game could be really cool if you have some friends to play with and really, really dull otherwise.

Because it sucks? I don't think he opened his twitter app and thought "hmm, time to start a shitstorm." He was just expressing his frustration at seeing it so pirated so soon. I wouldn't read so much into it.

He had to have known it would cause a shitstorm unless he's completely oblivious to how the entire gaming industry reads his texts. Whatever his intent was, the reaction should've been expected given the man's reach in the industry.

Let me give an example: If Phil Fish releases Fez 2 tomorrow and then a couple of days after, he tweets that 90% of the PC copies of his game are pirated and, also, that his latest game is the top tracking game on torrent sites, you think people are just going to shrug and not pay it any mind or is there going to be a similar shitshow to come of it?

I'd say Blow either knew that this would be the outcome of his comments or he's pretty dense if he thought there would be zero traction to the comments. And Blow doesn't strike me as a dense person.

Hey, we now know Austin's age (more or less). On the Beastcast, he said he was born in 1985. Add it to the Giant Bomb wiki!

As far as I'm aware, it goes like this: Jeff (1975), Jason (1977 maybe), Vinny (1978), Brad and Rorie (1979), Alex (1981), Dan (1984), Austin (1985), and Drew (1986).

I had no idea that Rorie was 4 years older than me. I always assumed he was among the younger crew and that Drew was about my age (I was born in 83).

Bowlie

Banned
Thanks to you all I understood "high grade", "master grade", "wing", "seed", and other gundam terms Vinny mentioned on the podcast.

Which you can find in your nearest B&N Store! Use the promo code BEASTCAS-

justjim89

Hey, we now know Austin's age (more or less). On the Beastcast, he said he was born in 1985. Add it to the Giant Bomb wiki!

As far as I'm aware, it goes like this: Jeff (1975), Jason (1977 maybe), Vinny (1978), Brad and Rorie (1979), Alex (1981), Dan (1984), Austin (1985), and Drew (1986).

Man, Drew is only three years older than me? Shit, I need to get my life together.

KingKong

Thanks to you all I understood "high grade", "master grade", "wing", "seed", and other gundam terms Vinny mentioned on the podcast.

Which you can find in your nearest B&N Store! Use the promo code BEASTCAS-

He is in rare form on todays cast, its one of the best theyve done. I expect the gamestop story to be animated soon

popo

Attitudes to piracy are strange. Game piracy is seen as shitty on here, rightly so, and admitting to it is bannable. Whereas a thread in OT about streaming TV just had to be locked because everyone was telling the OP to just pirate that shit.

justjim89

Technically, since he's been working at Giant Bomb for over 6 years now, you're well behind.

Yeah, I know. It's just that when I was 20, 21, 22, it was easy to say "Well a lot of people don't know what they're doing at my age, I'll be ok!" But with me turning 27 in 3 months and seeing a lot of pretty successful people around my age like Drew, Max Scoville, etc it always makes me feel like a bum.

yami4ct

I hadn't heard the Detective Pikachu trailer until this week's Beastcast. My god, that game sounds like the most amazing thing I never knew I wanted.

Attitudes to piracy are strange. Game piracy is seen as shitty on here, rightly so, and admitting to it is bannable. Whereas a thread in OT about streaming TV just had to be locked because everyone was telling the OP to just pirate that shit.

I think a lot of it is because TV is pretty much the exclusive purview of large companies. If you're taking from large companies, the internet thinks it's A-Ok.

Brashnir

I wish I still had all my musical gear. I have an itch to do a cover of Five Man Electrical Band's "Signs," for The Witness (replacing "Signs" with 'Lines.")

Free idea to anyone who wants it.

Lines, Lines, everywhere a line
Breaking up the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you see the lines?

Hell, this is the internet, someone probably did it already.

I think a lot of it is because TV is pretty much the exclusive purview of large companies. If you're taking from large companies, the internet thinks it's A-Ok.

well,

it's also about distribution. Sometimes, depending on your region, there is literally no legal way to watch something, either via a streaming service or a download service or trying to rent/purchase physical copies from a location.

So it's less frowned upon because there's some real bullshit stopping people from having legit access. That's why you saw Australia heavily pirating Game of Thrones, they had no legit means of acquiring the show (though i think that's been resolved now).

i guess not letting them have 40 percent of something is better than getting 100 percent of nothing?

cmon patrick, do yourself a solid and get over it. Make something instead of nothing

Yeah, I know. It's just that when I was 20, 21, 22, it was easy to say "Well a lot of people don't know what they're doing at my age, I'll be ok!" But with me turning 27 in 3 months and seeing a lot of pretty successful people around my age like Drew, Max Scoville, etc it always makes me feel like a bum.

Eh, don't take that approach. Always leads to a more depressive attitude on life. It's not fair to compare yourself to someone who has completely different experiences in their life.

Oh come on Patrick.

Brashnir

I mean, couldn't it also be said that without Nintendo's game, nobody outside of like 37 people would give a fuck about Patrick's channel?

I'm pretty sure he got way more viewers for Spelunky and BOI back in the day than he does now for these.

Other than the big Ryckert Rivalry episodes, which again, goes to show that it's not the game.

Eh, don't take that approach. Always leads to a more depressive attitude on life. It's not fair to compare yourself to someone who has completely different experiences in their life.

Exactly. I mean, look at Danny O'Dwyer. He was also born in 1986 like Drew (and myself). In fact, he just turned 30 weeks ago. Danny has moved from Ireland to England and then to America. He was also set to be married at one point. He's been at GameSpot (in America) since 2013, so a lot of what I mentioned he did when he was 27 and even younger.

Yeah I don't know if 40% is the right amount, but if you think the creator of the tools that you use to make money doesn't deserve a cut of that, then maybe you should create your own web site and your own game and try to make money that way. I typically like Patrick, but I think he's way off there.

yami4ct

I mean, couldn't it also be said that without Nintendo's game, nobody outside of like 37 people would give a fuck about Patrick's channel?

Absolutely. Trying to put a value on the game being played for a for-profit LP scenario is really really hard. The original game maker absolutely deserves something IMO. If the person is trying to make money, I don't think the 'free advertising' justification holds for me. Whether that number is more or less than 40% is something I don't feel in the position to decide.

The Division beta is giving me the exact same feeling I got from the Destiny beta, solid gameplay but it feels like the game will be lacking in content.

FWIW I definitely find issue with Nintendo's policy but it made me think about why I watch Mario Maker on Patrick's channel sometimes and I figured out it wasn't Patrick.

Maybe more hubris with Patrick's stance than Nintendo as well tbh given that weird reply!

yami4ct

FWIW I definitely find issue with Nintendo's policy but it made me think about why I watch Mario Maker on Patrick's channel sometimes and I figured out it wasn't Patrick.

Maybe more hubris with Patrick's stance than Nintendo as well tbh given that weird reply!

With Mario Maker Mornings and, honestly, most LPs, I found that at least half of why I'm tuning in is the game being played. Clearly that half has value.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The Division beta is giving me the exact same feeling I got from the Destiny beta, solid gameplay but it feels like the game will be lacking in content.

Yeah, same here. I feel like random firefights will get boring pretty quickly.
Also with only 2 skills I wonder how much variety there will be. If I can convince a buddy of mine to get it I would still play it though, just not alone. Don't buy this game if you want to play it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom