• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
Content droughts are dangerous. You find yourself saying things like, "I'm gonna spend today learning about TES lore!"

Still not sure what C0DA is. An authorization of fanfiction?

If you go into r/teslore, you'll find many convoluted answers (but if you've read it, then you know that an undemanding interpretation is almost a disservice).

If we head down to the facts, it's a Kirkbride's script for a graphic novel set in Tamriel's 5th era (way after Skyrim), when a Numidium destroyed the world and Dunmer, Khajiit and other survivors had to flee to one of its moons to live there.
It has themes that forbids it to be canonical, because it's actually a reinterpretation of that world like any fanfiction. And since C0DA came from Kirkbride, an esteemed person who created a lot of canonical lore, it showed people that you can write whatever you want about Mundus, kalpas or Hists or anything else, and that your version of the story isn't less true than Bethesda's take on it (you just won't see yours in the games, and they won't see theirs in your piece).

(i said things like that in the past)

--------

https://my.mixtape.moe/mpwgmk.webm

edit: hell yeah new page

chrixter

If Burnout Paradise is Jeff's GOTG I wonder what he thinks about GTAIV now considering he listed it over Burnout as his 2008 GOTY. GTAIV was such an emotional experience for him. I recall Ryan talking about how Jeff would be really bummed out the next day after having played GTAIV the night before because parts of the story hit so close to home.

Phew, managed to complete Undertale just before GOTY time. I posted some semi-long (spoilery!) impressions in the Undertale OT. Now I only have to finish Patrick's playthrough of SOMA and buy and play the entirety of the Witcher 3 and I'm ready for the podcasts!

PS: everyone talking smack about Burnout Paradise can get bent.

Par Score

Think I'm going to buy Invisible Inc, does it make any difference if I buy the Continguency Plan DLC straight away?

It's a lot like the XCOM DLC, in that it makes a good game even better, especially if it's your first time through. I would recommend picking it up all in one.

If Burnout Paradise is Jeff's GOTG I wonder what he thinks about GTAIV now considering he listed it over Burnout as his 2008 GOTY. GTAIV was such an emotional experience for him. I recall Ryan talking about how Jeff would be really bummed out the next day after having played GTAIV the night before because parts of the story hit so close to home.

If they did ever do a GotG, I'd really like the twist of them all being hamstrung by their past decisions, no backsies.

Bowlie

Banned
Jeff should watch haruhi: endless 8 if he wants to watch a show with substance.

*searches*

"Haruhi Suzumiya is the founding member of the SOS Brigade with the purpose of finding aliens, time travelers and espers."

welp

edit: now he should watch Paprika, Baccano or Ping Pong

jeff should watch ASURA'S WRATH

zaG5QHS.gif

Imagine how embarrassed Tim Anime must be that the best Anime is not even an anime, but a game.

FluxWaveZ

If Jeff wants to watch something else and people are serious about recommendations, they should go with what he wants to see and not what people want him to see.

That or Cowboy Bebop. There's a reason Cowboy Bebop is a constant.

Steamworld Heist is great, continuing the fantastic string of December games that won't be considered on most goty lists.

I could really do without hearing Jeff jerking his nostalgia boner again for the game he obsessed over when he was unemployed. It's not even the best Burnout game.

Damn.

kinda reminds me of neuromancer in that sense
I finished that book a couple days ago and maaaan does the climax of that book get kind of impenetrable in spots. I can't imagine reading that book in the 80s and having to wrap your mind around the whole internet/cyberspace concept in addition to all the crazy metaphysical shit.

Jintor

I finished that book a couple days ago and maaaan does the climax of that book get kind of impenetrable in spots. I can't imagine reading that book in the 80s and having to wrap your mind around the whole internet/cyberspace concept in addition to all the crazy metaphysical shit.

it's funny because now it reads like any old book about cyberpunk runs and AI gone amock and whatever but reality is only that way because Neuromancer exists

It's like Gibson wrote a book in the future and sent it back in time so that he could create the future where he could write the book

yami4ct

He should watch Death Note. It's pretty ridiculous.

Like most anime that get a massive and wide western following, Death Note has cool ideas but ultimately not able to execute on them and ends up kind of terrible. It isn't Code Geass or Attack on Titan levels of terrible, but it's not a series I would recommend.

Knowing Jeff's taste, he'd probably one of the people who would get super into JoJo. It's also a style series, but it leans so damn hard into that it works. Given he wanted more out of GitS, he should check out Stand Alone Complex. I have a feeling that series does what Jeff hoped the movie was going to.

Most of my general recommendations probably wouldn't jive with Jeff's taste. I can't see him liking Gundam all that much, though he might dig the more grounded OVAs like 08th MS team and 0080. I also can't see him falling in love with Mushi-Shi or Hosoda's works.

I also can't recommend Hunter x Hunter anymore. It's one of my favorite manga of all time and the anime adaptation is fantastic, but not only is it super long, falling in love with the series will lead only to depressions. Togas erratic work schedule is god dang infuriating at times.

god Death Note is such a piece of shit

jeff really isn't going to like any modern anime. wouldn't surprise me if he liked Patlabor or something though

yami4ct

god Death Note is such a piece of shit

jeff really isn't going to like any modern anime. wouldn't surprise me if he liked Patlabor or something though

There's been a real trend of modern anime going back to 80s/90s style. I could see him digging JoJo, Parasyte or Ushio and Tora. The last one is probably a bit too anime for his taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom