• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Death Note is like Dexter.

It's really good until about halfway through. Then the ending actively ruins all that came before.

The second half being bad only makes you realize that the first half is good pretty much only due to a single character and as a whole, wasn't that great anyway.

daydream

Banned
jeff has already seen modern anime peak, to be fair

UWQuQFd.gif

Looking forward to the GOTY thread!

not gonna be super crazy or anything, just polished up last year's thread real good

also, what stump said

justjim89

The second half being bad only makes you realize that the first half is good pretty much only due to a single character and as a whole, wasn't that great anyway.

It's literally an anime version of Dexter. Every character but the protagonist sucks, every story but the story directly affecting the protagonist sucks, and as they stall for ways to prolong the inevitable it just gets downright insulting.

At least
Kira didn't get off scott free and become a lumberjack.
Ugh, fuck.

yami4ct

It's literally an anime version of Dexter. Every character but the protagonist sucks, every story but the story directly affecting the protagonist sucks, and as they stall for ways to prolong the inevitable it just gets downright insulting.

At least
Kira didn't get off scott free and become a lumberjack.
Ugh, fuck.

Wait, are you calling L the protagonist or do you thing Light isn't just the goddamn worst? One of those things I can agree with.

Light is one of the damn worst parts of the show. His evilness isn't even done in a semi-likable way like it is for Dexter. He's just an unlikable , unrelatable, juvenile asshat.

L, on the other hand, is the only redeeming part of the show.

FluxWaveZ

Death Note is good, Attack on Titan is good, School Days is good.

Haven't seen Sword Art Online anything, so I can't talk about that.

Myggen

People talking about Dexter, if you haven't watched Six Feet Under: Watch that instead. Michael C. Hall's best role by far, and one of the best shows ever.

yami4ct

Jeff should really watch Revolutionary Girl Utena. That's shows particular brand of insanity would either blow his mind or push him completely away. Would be interesting to see which side he'd come down on.

Death Note is good, Attack on Titan is good, School Days is good.

Haven't seen Sword Art Online anything, so I can't talk about that.

Attack on Titan is the biggest pile of shit I've had the displeasure of reading and the anime is somehow even worse. Its popularity seems to be coming from a good style and cool premise alone, because the pacing, plotting and writing are damn atrocious.

SAO is terrible, but it's a pandering fan service show that is giving its audience exactly what they want.

Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D are both great older movies.

Also SAO and AoT are bad to mediocre, but the AoT game looks surprisingly decent.

Mostly because I agree with the poster above, the concept of AoT is cool, but everything else about it is kinda bland.

SAO is terrible, but it's a pandering fan service show that is giving its audience exactly what they want.

show would actually be better if they just went all-in on the incest angle

at least the fucking video games have the decency to just be full harem and drop the pretense

I'm not going to take that from someone who liked Kill la Kill.

at least it owned its stupidity and Mako is like GOAT sidekick material

it's funny because now it reads like any old book about cyberpunk runs and AI gone amock and whatever but reality is only that way because Neuromancer exists

It's like Gibson wrote a book in the future and sent it back in time so that he could create the future where he could write the book

Did Gibson also have a mirror-eyed girl street-samurai riding shotgun while he wrote the silicon-quick, bleakly prohetic adventure that upped the ante on an entire genre of fiction?

still got like two seasons of dexter to watch. show really went downhill fast after the halfway point after peaking with season

I don't know what kind of trick you thought you were playing by adding another digit there, because the show doesn't get to double-digits in the first place

show would actually be better if they just went all-in on the incest angle

Are we still talking about Dexter?

Your friendly reminder that Dexter did in fact have a incest story arc in the sixth season.

I'm replaying Divinity:Dragon Commander, and damn that game never got its dues, did it? It's a pretty great game. I love the politics aspect of it, and the voice acting is pretty great.

yami4ct

which anime editor would like one punch man

OPM still isn't doing anything for me. It's got great art, but the comedy is sort of flat. GinTama does everything OPM attempts better and does way more as well.

Sidonia no Kishi is a better Shingeki no Kyojin; at least it's good-looking. It ain't good though.

Knights of SIdonia is a pretty fantastic manga from what I've read of it (Haven't gotten passed volume 10 or so). It dives into some shitty harem territory, but I don't think that aspect ruins it. It has such an interesting world and the pacing is actually good. Too bad that anime went with that awful all CG style.

yami4ct

I like the premise of OPM more than the show itself. The action is cool though

Every time I read a new chapter of OPM, it makes me desperately wish Murata was doing literally anything else. His talent is so wasted on that series. It should've just stayed a dumb, poorly drawn webcomic.

I will agree with Jeff that there are certain scenes in the GITS movie that seems to just be show pieces or not moving the story along

like that scene were she's swimming for instance iirc

The best part of Death Note was Ryuk and L

especially in that POS they called an ending.

daydream

Banned
I don't know what kind of trick you thought you were playing by adding another digit there, because the show doesn't get to double-digits in the first place

tricks are for kids

OPM still isn't doing anything for me. It's got great art, but the comedy is sort of flat. GinTama does everything OPM attempts better and does way more as well

it's the the comedy that hits, though, with everything else being flat

shame there's less of the former in the second half

yami4ct

tricks are for kids

it's the the comedy that hits, though, with everything else being flat

shame there's less of the former in the second half

Comedy is super subjective of course, but I don't think I've ever laughed reading OPM. Everything feels so damn tired and standard.

Bowlie

Banned
Friend of the site Greg Miller's GOTY

Knights of SIdonia is a pretty fantastic manga from what I've read of it (Haven't gotten passed volume 10 or so). It dives into some shitty harem territory, but I don't think that aspect ruins it. It has such an interesting world and the pacing is actually good. Too bad that anime went with that awful all CG style.

Wow, then you read more than I did; I got a little further than anime's season one. I don't know why then chose CG for it, maybe it's cheaper?

Death Note has some issues, but I thought it was fine. Fantastic dubbing and music, an interesting psychological battle, and at the least, a main character who's more interesting than 90% of main characters from the shonen genre.

Code Geass is awesome tho and I'll fight anyone that disagrees.

Every time I read a new chapter of OPM, it makes me desperately wish Murata was doing literally anything else. His talent is so wasted on that series. It should've just stayed a dumb, poorly drawn webcomic.

it is kind of odd that someone who might honestly be one of the top 5 most talented modern manga artists is doing... that. but you also can't say that he hasn't used some parts of that series to really show off.

then again Akira Hiramoto is a ridiculously talented artist and he's been making Prison School for 4 years now. actually I kind of admire someone with that much skill just drawing a bunch of camel toes and sweaty boobs for a living

yami4ct

Wow, then you read more than I did; I got a little further than anime's season one. I don't know why then chose CG for it, maybe it's cheaper?

The sad part is, the studio they're using is capable of doing some pretty great CG work. They also did Transformers Prime which consistently looked pretty great. They must just be on a shoestring budget for KoS. It's sad because some of the action is absolutely stunning and epic in the manga and it just doesn't get to translate well to the screen.

Code Geass is awesome tho and I'll fight anyone that disagrees.

CG is actual trash masquerading as campy trash.

yami4ct

one day the fellow gb-gaffer with kogoro ava is gonna reciprocate my repping of detective conan

one day

I've started watching DC a few times and I love it, but I always get put off because there's so damn much of it.

At least those two artists are continuously drawing something most people like. Murata and Togashi pls! ;_;

Togashi is almost certainly the most talented manga (or maybe even action comic in general) writer of his generation, and yet he's always so damn inconsistent. It's frustrating as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom