• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
my current problem is i keep underestimating the amount of fuel I need to get from munar orbit descent -> ascent -> kerbin orbin maneuvering -> atmo re-entry. Right now I'm stranded in space lowering my periapsis by hand.

You'd want to go see a doctor about that instead of using your own hands.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
what, seriously? yeah there's a whole solar system. the Mars equivalent isn't too hard to land on, assuming you can get there. it has low gravity and an atmosphere so you can just parachute down. I accidentally landed on another planet once. that's kind of it as far as I've made it. it takes a ton of fuel, a lot of waiting, and very careful flying to hit other planets.

as long as you launch into the correct orbit (something Vinny has trouble with), you can basically hit the moon by accident, assuming you have the fuel

I mean my exposure to that game is entirely through GB and Vinny hasn't managed to get *off* the moon yet, so I hadn't really thought about what's beyond that.

I'm hoping for some Witness talk on the Beastcast this week.

Patryn

hope so - I don't think it'll get that great of a score from the GB guys but I'm still really interested to hear how they like it since Jeff seemed to only play the original campaign once and wasn't that interested in going back to EW.

The first one won GOTY from GB.

Why do you think the second wouldn't get a great score?

Could you actually make a space station in orbit?

of course. though it's somewhat limited in usefulness. great for interplanetary flights though, because you can make a space refueling station.

apparently you can mine for ore and convert that into fuel now, so I'm in the process of trying to build a refueling station on Mun, but I crashed my heavy-ass drilling station trying to land it last night.

but can i reach girl in kerbal space program

well?

Is girl on her way back from pluto? You can just meet in the middle.

Well that moment at 1:13:00ish was exactly what I was hoping would happen.
Actually would cutting the engine have helped at all? I feel like he needed to have dumped the engine before he hit the atomosphere

Wow this series just keeps on giving. Holy shit.

of course. though it's somewhat limited in usefulness. great for interplanetary flights though, because you can make a space refueling station.

apparently you can mine for ore and convert that into fuel now, so I'm in the process of trying to build a refueling station on Mun, but I crashed my heavy-ass drilling station trying to land it last night.
All of this sounds difficult so I need GBeast to do all of it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean it's really not a new thing.

Plus you know it's us getting back to nature man. Cavemen didn't care about other cavemen watching them have a wank. Totally paleo.

In fact I would go as far to say that Kerbal: Project B.E.A.S.T - Part 08 is one of the best pieces of content they've ever uploaded. I mean holy shit.

Well that moment at 1:13:00ish was exactly what I was hoping would happen.
Actually would cutting the engine have helped at all? I feel like he needed to have dumped the engine before he hit the atomosphere

he hit the atmosphere at 10 times the speed of sound, he was fucked no matter what he did

whoa, actually Apollo 11 had a reentry speed of 11km/s, that's insane

looking it up, it seems like a capsule in Kerbal with a heat shield can survive about 3km/s though you'll probably rip all your parachutes at that speed?

Brashnir

whoa, actually Apollo 11 had a reentry speed of 11km/s, that's insane

looking it up, it seems like a capsule in Kerbal with a heat shield can survive about 3km/s though you'll probably rip all your parachutes at that speed?

Everything in Kerbal is on a much smaller scale than reality.

Strax

What is the ultimate goal of the Kerbal videos from the Beast crew?
Is there "We are not gonna stop until we do X" like the plan was with Dan and Punch-Out?

And to hear the lamentations of their women.

776283_c832_625x1000.jpg

Everything in Kerbal is on a much smaller scale than reality.

I dug a little deeper and it seems to be consistent with reality when adjusted for scale. so even still,
Vinny was approaching the atmosphere at apollo-scale speeds, but at a near 90 degree angle, and without heat shields

demidar

I dug a little deeper and it seems to be consistent with reality when adjusted for scale. so even still,
Vinny was approaching the atmosphere at apollo-scale speeds, but at a near 90 degree angle, and without heat shields

Are you saying Vinny is a bad rocket engineer, plot planner and pilot? >_>

Are you saying Vinny is a bad rocket engineer, plot planner and pilot? >_>

he's actually, fantastically, unintentionally(?) creating a fascinating series because he's constantly making progress but failing at every step at least once

it's actually pretty impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom