• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

Q7ZR3oX.jpg

strafer

Can't wait for Episode 43: Shining Lights, Even in Death, that's my favorite part in the entire game.

The feels struck me like a bolt of lightning.

Jintor

I DID IT

I FUCKING PUSHED A STRANDED SPACECRAFT INTO BELOW 15,000 PERIAPSIS AND LANDED THAT SUCKER WITHOUT KILLING EVERYBODY ON BOARD

And I did it just as Vinny blew up the luv lander

god i need to sleep holy shit but i feel so alive

Did anyone try that CoolGames inc podcast? I gave it a shot and just can't get into it. I don't think there's anything entertaining at all between those two. Fifteen minutes of them trying to figure out what the hell the podcast is even going to be and then some awful one sentence pitches to which they say "Like ____ but with [pitch sentence]"

well, we'll never know if that was the intention for that scene, if it was to play out that way, or if that scene suffered from the same feeling that a lot of that game has where it feels like the back half was just barely cobbled together because konami stopped writing checks for it.

I played vanilla and I thought it was still great.

i played it and found it annoying. Too much having to go into first person because snake couldn't see 20 feet ahead of him due to the overhead camera. It felt pretty antiquated by then.

The game didn't click with me till subsistence

I'm still reeling from Kerbal:

The best thing is they unintentionally foreshadowed both deaths.

"Jack tumbled from the sky"

"She missed the burn, she got caught in the moment"

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I can see why somebody might hate MGS3 if they really like the Metal Gear Solid series seeing how it's actually a good game with decent characters. It's an outlier in the franchise.

3 and V are the best.

Can't wait for Episode 43: Shining Lights, Even in Death, that's my favorite part in the entire game.

The feels struck me like a bolt of lightning.

Such a good mission.

Drew killing himself with that bombardment haha

Drew struggling against a boss all episode. Them nostalgic MGScanlon memories.

Drew's reaction to the jeep scene is gonna be so good.

I can't wait for the next episode. How many times will Drew die during the next two missions and how is he gonna react to the next few cutscenes?

I finished RotTR yesterday and have no clue what Brad was thinking nominating the ending for Best Moment. I'm not even that down on the story because I expect every video game story to be trash, but that ending had no business being brought up.

I never knew I was supposed to hate any part of MGS3 before the Internet told me. I played vanilla 3, thought "well this sure is one of the best games ever made", and then saw how the camera apparently makes it unplayable and the camouflage/food systems are incredibly annoying to manage.

They were? Didn't notice.

I finished RotTR yesterday and have no clue what Brad was thinking nominating the ending for Best Moment. I'm not even that down on the story because I expect every video game story to be trash, but that ending had no business being brought up.

Brad tactics. Pick a moment that nobody else (including most listeners) had known about to use it as leverage in the future.

SomberOwl

Did anyone try that CoolGames inc podcast? I gave it a shot and just can't get into it. I don't think there's anything entertaining at all between those two. Fifteen minutes of them trying to figure out what the hell the podcast is even going to be and then some awful one sentence pitches to which they say "Like ____ but with [pitch sentence]"

I was going to until i read what the podcast was going to be about and it sounded uninteresting to me. I don't really need to hear their comedy act with video games somehow tied in.

justjim89

Fuuuuuck. I had no idea you could run around the whole airport in that mission. I thought you had to stay relatively close to Codetalker or else they'd just kill him. I made that mission 100 times harder on myself than it needed to be. Basically just ran around that small first area and took them all down with an LMG.

omgkitty

Fuuuuuck. I had no idea you could run around the whole airport in that mission. I thought you had to stay relatively close to Codetalker or else they'd just kill him. I made that mission 100 times harder on myself than it needed to be. Basically just ran around that small first area and took them all down with an LMG.

Yep you can completely ignore him. That mission is fucked even on normal difficulty and the fact that they make that one of the hard missions later is bullshit. Actually most of the hard missions are some of the worst missions in the game. "Oh you hated this? Here, play it again but now it's brutally difficult!"

Curufinwe

Yep you can completely ignore him. That mission is fucked even on normal difficulty and the fact that they make that one of the hard missions later is bullshit. Actually most of the hard missions are some of the worst missions in the game. "Oh you hated this? Here, play it again but now it's brutally difficult!"

You can ignore most of them and still unlock the final story missions.

Amazing Kerbal episode. Such a beautiful mess, Vinny's magic touch is quite something. The teaser makes it look like they're actually going to
perform a sane reentry
next time.

Weird. What a poorly structured sequence.

It becomes extra hilarious when put into context. Even for Metal Gear it's just utterly absurd.

(final ending spoilers)

So Skull Face has spent 9 years preparing his revenge against Big Boss, for... some reason. To make Zero sad, I guess. Then he didn't even kill Big Boss when he had him during the Honeybee mission because???? (there was no "I needed to manipulate you while you were alive" twist, Skull Face had no reason not to kill him there)

So then Big Boss is with him AGAIN, and Skull Face decides to explain his motivations: as a child, foreign soldiers invaded and he was burned and also became a soldier and kept changing countries and doesn't even have a native language anymore. So because of this, he views language as a disease and English as the worst because it's so popular. And guess who's English? That's right, ZERO!

So Skull Face will use parasites that SPECIFICALLY TARGET HUMAN LANGUAGES to wipe out English and thus... force people to speak other languages. They'll have to speak with NUKES! A TRUE language! And he'll sell them mini mechs with nuke technology that will be disabled with metal eating bacteria if they try to actually get used! So the world will be at peace!

Anyway, he whips out his ONLY vials of the parasite right in front of Big Boss, fearless CQC expert and super soldier, but luckily Big Boss isn't even paying attention. Also he fucks up the timing on his speech, so they ride for like 5 minutes in utter silence as Skull Face is staring at Big Boss and Big Boss is looking around awkwardly like it's a date and he's nervous or bored.

Then Skull Face shows Big Boss how he'll spread the parasite: thanks to fate of whatever Volgin woke up when Big Boss did, which resonated with Little Psycho Mantis, and so that lead them to the hospital, but then Skull Face was madder than Volgin, and Little Psycho Mantis attaches himself to whoever is Maddest, so he could use Little Psycho Mantis to control the Metal Gear Gundam with a dinosaur head and flamewhip and tiny baby cockpit that Otacon's dad built with Baby Otacon in mind.

Good thing he happened to find Little Psycho Mantis!!!

Anyway, Diamond Dogs flies in with a chopper and Little Liquid is there and he's the Maddest of all (and also some tape explains that children connect more becausd myelin sheaths blah blah) and so now Little Psycho Mantis attaches to Little Liquid and they take over the Metal Gear and Skull Face screams about a lust for revenge WHOOOOOOO as he gets dragged out. Then a radio tower falls on him and he's paralyzed, because his entire master plan was foiled by complete accident when a little boy was angrier than him.

So later this guy (who was explained in tapes and stuff to be following you the entire time in MGS3 to help you out ????? and capable of killing The Boss if you had failed) is dying without you ever fighting him. Instead of mercy killing him, Big Boss and Kaz shoot off his limbs and walk away. Then two seconds later Otacon's dad shoots Skull Face in the head and shouts REVENGE!!! in the dorkiest voice while throwing his hands up.

And then like 10 hours later you find out that you're not the real Big Boss but a hypnotized body double with plastic surgery.

So to recap, Skull Face spends 9 years before finding the key component that will make his plan work, then he fails to actually do anything for the rest of the game, then he tells his rehearsed nonsense speech to the wrong guy who isn't even paying attention, and he fucks up the timing, and then his plot is unintentionally undone when a little boy has a tantrum, then he's killed by fucking Huey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom