• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doop

It becomes extra hilarious when put into context. Even for Metal Gear it's just utterly absurd.

(final ending spoilers)

So later this guy (who was explained in tapes and stuff to be following you the entire time in MGS3 to help you out ????? and capable of killing The Boss if you had failed) is dying without you ever fighting him. Instead of mercy killing him, Big Boss and Kaz shoot off his limbs and walk away. Then two seconds later Otacon's dad shoots Skull Face in the head and shouts REVENGE!!! in the dorkiest voice while throwing his hands up.

This part is seriously awful. No interesting boss fight, no buildup, just dead. It was so awful that I actually thought it was Snake hallucinating killing Skull Face, until Huey walked up and blasted him.

It becomes extra hilarious when put into context. Even for Metal Gear it's just utterly absurd.

(final ending spoilers)

So to recap, Skull Face spends 9 years before finding the key component that will make his plan work, then he fails to actually do anything for the rest of the game, then he tells his rehearsed nonsense speech to the wrong guy who isn't even paying attention, and he fucks up the timing, and then his plot is unintentionally undone when a little boy has a tantrum, then he's killed by fucking Huey.
MGS3.jpg

solid-snake-saluting-in-metal-gear-solid-4.jpg

MGS_Big_Boss.jpg

MGSV spoiler
Huey failing to understand the nuances of revenge and artlessly killing Skullface was the one Plot Thing I appreciated in that game. It was like something out of The Wire.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
(MGSV final ending spoilers)

So to recap, Skull Face spends 9 years before finding the key component that will make his plan work, then he fails to actually do anything for the rest of the game, then he tells his rehearsed nonsense speech to the wrong guy who isn't even paying attention, and he fucks up the timing, and then his plot is unintentionally undone when a little boy has a tantrum, then he's killed by fucking Huey.

So it's a Hideo Kojima game then? This all is part of the Metal Gear (TM) flavor. Nonsensical villains with no motivations doing whatever in order to make the plot end the way Kojima wants. I gave up expecting logic and sanity in these games long ago.

EmCee, did you just have that in your back pocket ready to whip out at a moment's notice?

So it's a Hideo Kojima game then? This all is part of the Metal Gear (TM) flavor. Nonsensical villains with no motivations doing whatever in order to make the plot end the way Kojima wants. I gave up expecting logic and sanity in these games long ago.

Oh fuck right off, you know the games have had much better plots. Rising was better than MGSV!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
EmCee, did you just have that in your back pocket ready to whip out at a moment's notice?

Oh fuck right off, you know the games have had much better plots. Rising was better than MGSV!

Oh, absolutely the other games have had better plots. But I still don't come to Metal Gear for the plots. Good or Bad.

MGSV stuff:
Christ, I forgot about Huey yelling revenge.

I almost want metal gear to continue just so there are more chances for EmCee to post long breakdowns like that.

Nah, this isn't true. Liquid wanted to surpass Big Boss because he had an inferiority complex, Solidus wanted to be this savior and stop the Patriots, Volgin was just a greedy asshole in it for money and power, and Ocelot was trying to fulfill what he thought Big Boss would want. Even Hot Coldman's whole "we'll launch a nuke to scare people off launching nukes" thing made a sort of twisted internal sense.

Skull Face's motivations are like dream logic where he's connecting random dots to justify the fact that
he's angry about words

MG310

no, that's how that scene plays out. It's skullface talking a lot, snake not even paying attention, and then silence, and then a song kicks in, and then its over.

it's a beautiful mess, MGSV is

Missed opportunity to let you use the phantom cigar but not make it obvious that you can.

Skull Face's motivations are like dream logic where he's connecting random dots to justify the fact that
he's angry about words

Also it seems like the thing he is angry about is the thing Snake has been doing to people the entire game...but he doesn't seem angry at Snake about it.

Wunder

The first one won GOTY from GB.

Why do you think the second wouldn't get a great score?

Little late but I think a number of factors contributed to GB giving XCOM GOTY in 2012. I think the biggest factor was simply that there weren't that many other good games. Top 3 were XCOM, Walking Dead and Far Cry 3. XCOM also hit the perfect storm of accessibility and hardcore, with the Normal difficulty allowing for mistakes and tension while still being able to be beaten by most.

Also I think the overall attitude towards XCOM in the GB offices has shifted since the release and Enemy Within. Jeff put XCOM at #3, having Persona 4 and Far Cry 3 ahead of it. I think Ryan pushed XCOM the hardest, and unless Austin or Vinny really push for it this year, I highly doubt it's reaching anywhere near the top 3.

Patryn

Little late but I think a number of factors contributed to GB giving XCOM GOTY in 2012. I think the biggest factor was simply that there weren't that many other good games. Top 3 were XCOM, Walking Dead and Far Cry 3. XCOM also hit the perfect storm of accessibility and hardcore, with the Normal difficulty allowing for mistakes and tension while still being able to be beaten by most.

Also I think the overall attitude towards XCOM in the GB offices has shifted since the release and Enemy Within. Jeff put XCOM at #3, having Persona 4 and Far Cry 3 ahead of it. I think Ryan pushed XCOM the hardest, and unless Austin or Vinny really push for it this year, I highly doubt it's reaching anywhere near the top 3.

I wasn't arguing it would win GOTY, I was simply arguing that they'd be more inclined to give it a good score.

justjim89

The fact that they put some of the only legitimately compelling story beats into those fucking tapes that are entirely optional is absurd. Hell, the only time we hear
Zero speak in the whole series since he's been after-the-fact made into a villain
is on those tapes.
Zero saying goodbye to the real comatose Big Boss while he's still able, and being rather apologetic about their whole falling out,
could have made for a really great and poignant cutscene. Even if they were going to tell the story that's there, there are dozens of opportunities to have done it exponentially better right there in the game!

I hate that MGSV plays so well, because if it didn't it would be easier to dismiss. Honestly, the most disappointed I've maybe ever been in a video game.

Megasoum

Banned
40min into the KSP video...

Vinny really needs to learn how the electric charge works in the game. Why the hell is he afraid to open solar panels?

Patryn

Well a good score usually translates to the GOTY and I don't think it'll get 5 stars this time around if GB West reviews it

Axiom Verge got 5 stars, but wasn't on the list.

That's just one quick example off the top of my head.

Basically, there's no reason to be so negative.

Nero18

Nah, this isn't true. Liquid wanted to surpass Big Boss because he had an inferiority complex, Solidus wanted to be this savior and stop the Patriots, Volgin was just a greedy asshole in it for money and power, and Ocelot was trying to fulfill what he thought Big Boss would want. Even Hot Coldman's whole "we'll launch a nuke to scare people off launching nukes" thing made a sort of twisted internal sense.

he's angry about words

Breaking them down like that makes MGS characters a huge service as they all start to fall about once we get to dig deeper. Skull Face on a philosophical level made some sense.

~

MGS has always been dumb, we were younger and more tolerable. And also, video game plots used to suck.

Fireblend

Banned
damn I'm listening to last week's Beastcast (got a ton of stuff to catch up on) and holy shit, it sure went off the rails quick. It took them like 30 minutes to describe this Icebound game and I still have no idea what it is supposed to be about after all that derailing.

LiK

damn I'm listening to last week's Beastcast (got a ton of stuff to catch up on) and holy shit, it sure went off the rails quick. It took them like 30 minutes to describe this Icebound game and I still have no idea what it is supposed to be about after all that derailing.

I didn't even care anymore. i'll just wait for a QL.

daveo42

Banned
Man, that ending to the latest Project Beast episode.
The break after the first accident, Austin almost giving up the ghost...and then KSP straight up crashing after something (or Vinny) flubbed the time warp.
Best part of my Monday hands down.

Wunder

Axiom Verge got 5 stars, but wasn't on the list.

That's just one quick example off the top of my head.

Basically, there's no reason to be so negative.

That's fair. I don't think I was that negative though, just speculating about review scores, I'll enjoy the game either way I'm just interested to hear their thoughts on it coming from someone who plays through it once or twice and then puts it down, like me.

Man, that ending to the latest Project Beast episode.
The break after the first accident, Austin almost giving up the ghost...and then KSP straight up crashing after something (or Vinny) flubbed the time warp.
Best part of my Monday hands down.

that was all Vinny, you can see him nudge the warp up. the only reason it slowed down long enough for him to see it explode is because the game switches warp modes automatically when you're below a certain altitude

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Explaining games on podcasts never works if they're not very similar to others. I have absolutely no idea about Austin's game even after 30 minutes of talk about it.

popo

I doubt they will bother to review xcom 2 unless someone on the crew is really in to it. Reviews take so damn long.

omgkitty

Honestly surprised they still do reviews at all. Even when they do, they're usually late. REMEMBER VIDEO REVIEWS??? Good times.

Patryn

it's been rough these past few weeks if you think mgscanlon is bunk and you're only kind of into kerbal

rough, i tells ya

Setting up a new studio takes time.

I'm sure they'll be ready by E3, but of course they'll then have a slowdown to accommodate planning and recovering from E3 itself.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
This latest B.E.A.S.T is a real roller coaster. Holy shit.

He was home! THEY KILLED HIM! All that work undone by not remembering to turn off the engines. Heartbreak.

I doubt they will bother to review xcom 2 unless someone on the crew is really in to it. Reviews take so damn long.
I would have pegged XCOM 2 as one of the games that they would review this year, the whole staff was really into EU. I wouldn't be surprised if one goes up later.

I've definitely gotten my GBWest fix between my two favorite features RoF and MGScanlon and TOGS has been great as well the UPFs. Don't really care to follow Kerbal though ill eventually put it on the background while i play some games or do homework or something. Looking forward to whatever GBEast does next though since LiS and Vinnyvania were awesome.

daveo42

Banned
that was all Vinny, you can see him nudge the warp up. the only reason it slowed down long enough for him to see it explode is because the game switches warp modes automatically when you're below a certain altitude

I assumed so based on what was happening. Didn't see the nudge during my watch. I think that second run was in far too much of a haste after the first failure. Next week might finally be the week they complete a full mission as long as they can avoid those flubs.

kvk1

"I can see the people in Jack's life so clearly."

lmao

the East crew have a lovely kind of rapport with each other

well I guess I have a little over $40 in psn credit now, I guess the question is whether I get The Witness or EDF 4.1
or just hold on to it until Gal Gun 2 comes out

Man, I so want to like project BEAST, but watching kerbal just bores me to tears. The beginning recaps are probably the best way for me to get the high points of the episode anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom