• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also just might end up being better than the TV show. Not exactly a high bar from what I've heard, considering it's already cancelled again before the game even came out.

But hey, how about those 12 or so episodes where Heroes wasn't terrible? 2005 was good times.

I loved that first season (like everybody else) and I think I got through most of that second season... But I can't for the life of me remember anything that happened in it. I've been tempted to look it up to refresh my memory, but I think I might just live with that 1st season being the only thing I can remember.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I loved that first season (like everybody else) and I think I got through most of that second season... But I can't for the life of me remember anything that happened in it. I've been tempted to look it up to refresh my memory, but I think I might just live with that 1st season being the only thing I can remember.

I really really liked the middle of the first season, by the end I was hopeful that they would do the second season right. Before the first episode of that next season ended I had all sorts of alarms going and bailed the fuck out within a month. Never looked back until the series was ending and I checked out the last few episodes out of curiosity. Didn't regret anything.

I don't remember what happened passed save the cheerleader. Sylar became a good guy or something?

Also Sylar's power didn't make any fucking sense at all. "Oh I can understand things well so if I kill someone and look in their brain I'll be able to do what they do."

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't remember what happened passed save the cheerleader. Sylar became a good guy or something?

Also Sylar's power didn't make any fucking sense at all. "Oh I can understand things well so if I kill someone and look in their brain I'll be able to do what they do."

By the end of the series I think Sylar, JJ Abrams best friend, and maybe politician older brother were all living in the same body? The hulk girl was actually the third of a set of triplets and the one from the first season died long ago. Hiro was probably dead. I could be making all of this up. I couldn't tell you what if any conclusion there was to what if any overall plot there was.

LiK

Heroes went to shit right after the original showrunner left right before the final ep of Season 1. the writers strike also didn't help. it was a fucking mess.

santeesioux

Speaking of Metal Gear Scanlon
I wonder how much Dan is going to help out Drew for Chapter 2 about getting the missions to appear? I had to look at guides and it was a bit of a pain.

I watched all of Heroes and couldn't tell you a damn thing about it besides some vague ideas of what powers people had. I remember HRG and the Haitian being awesome characters that then got turned to shit.

Heroes went to shit right after the original showrunner left right before the final ep of Season 1. the writers strike also didn't help. it was a fucking mess.

Wait, what? Tim Kring was onboard long after season one and is in charge of the reboot, too. The writer's strike was really what helped fuck over season two.

Meneses

I wish I could watch their streams live, but I never can. My video always keeps stopping every few seconds, which makes it pretty much impossible to follow.

I think the only content I can always watch live, for some reason, is UPF.

LiK

Wait, what? Tim Kring was onboard long after season one and is in charge of the reboot, too. The writer's strike was really what helped fuck over season two.

I read different back in the day when I was following the show closely. if they updated that info then my knowledge is outdated.

Speaking of Metal Gear Scanlon
I wonder how much Dan is going to help out Drew for Chapter 2 about getting the missions to appear? I had to look at guides and it was a bit of a pain.

It's basically just "do the yellow side ops, then if no new missions appear, just do a few side ops until they do." They probably won't know that, but hopefully Jason tells them.

Though Konami has changed up the game more than I remember, so who knows at this point.

Xater

I read different back in the day when I was following the show closely. if they updated that info then my knowledge is outdated.

Brian Fuller left as a writer and that was felt. He went on to do Pushing Daisies (great but no one watched it) and the even better Hannibal (which of course was also cancelled).

I am pretty excited for him on American Gods.

Brian Fuller left as a writer and that was felt. He went on to do Pushing Daisies (great but no one watched it) and the even better Hannibal (which of course was also cancelled).

Don't you dare forget Dead Like Me!(even though it was before, but still bares mentioning) Brian Fuller never gets the appreciation he deserves.

Also Mockingbird Lane, which was a pretty interesting attempt to reboot Munsters that got turned into a one off movie type thing.

LiK

ye, that was the guy I was talking about. guess he wasn't showrunner.

I've never seen anyone mention Pushing Daisies, I'm glad to know that someone else watched it and also thought that it was great.

santeesioux

It's basically just "do the yellow side ops, then if no new missions appear, just do a few side ops until they do." They probably won't know that, but hopefully Jason tells them.

Though Konami has changed up the game more than I remember, so who knows at this point.

Maybe there's some micro-transactions to just unlock every mission now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I had no idea Brian Fuller was involved in Hannibal. His shows are always great. Also always cancelled. I thought Wonderfalls was much better than what it got, Pushing Daisies was better in every way and got axed just as quickly, and Dead Like Me probably got cancelled at the appropriate time but it was enjoyable before the movie that brought it back.

Brashnir

I always suspected that the real problem was the fact that they had a good idea, wrote a solid full season worth of episodes to flesh out that idea, and then by the end of season one, circumstances within the show had changed to the point where the original theme no longer worked. It was basically the same problem as the Matrix sequels -- You have a basic coming-of-age storyline of people coming to grips with their abilities, and once that's done, you're thrust into continuing to write for characters that have already had their major arc. All that's left to write at that point is a bunch of amped-up schlock.

I've never seen anyone mention Pushing Daisies, I'm glad to know that someone else watched it and also thought that it was great.

That and Better off Ted are two shows ABC had at the time that were way too good and were so completely ignored. At least ABC tried and gave them both a second season.

I always suspected that the real problem was the fact that they had a good idea, wrote a solid full season worth of episodes to flesh out that idea, and then by the end of season one, circumstances within the show had changed to the point where the original theme no longer worked. It was basically the same problem as the Matrix sequels -- You have a basic coming-of-age storyline of people coming to grips with their abilities, and once that's done, you're thrust into continuing to write for characters that have already had their major arc. All that's left to write at that point is a bunch of amped-up schlock.

Maybe I have this wrong but I think a lot of why Fuller left Heroes is because it was originally supposed to be new cast and heroes each season and Kring went with the studio in thinking the cast was too popular and axing that idea. I know that was a big change at the time, but I could be making up the Fuller leaving because of it aspect.

Xater

Don't you dare forget Dead Like Me!(even though it was before, but still bares mentioning) Brian Fuller never gets the appreciation he deserves.

Also Mockingbird Lane, which was a pretty interesting attempt to reboot Munsters that got turned into a one off movie type thing.

I never saw any of those. I was kinda following Fuller by the time Mockingbird Lane was a thing but somehow I completely missed out on that show.

I had no idea Brian Fuller was involved in Hannibal. His shows are always great. Also always cancelled. I thought Wonderfalls was much better than what it got, Pushing Daisies was better in every way and got axed just as quickly, and Dead Like Me probably got cancelled at the appropriate time but it was enjoyable before the movie that brought it back.

You should watch Hannibal. It's a show that defies expectations. It also has tons of talented people involved. Fuller is the showrunner and wrote most of it. Vincenzo Natali and Neil Marshall actually directed episodes. Hugh Dancy, Mads Mikkelsen and Gillian Anderson are all great in it. No to mention that it is a fantastic looking show.

Despite it being canceled the show actually has a fitting end. I can't recommend it enough. For me it's up there with the best of the best. By the that I mean the likes of Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones or Mad men.

I never saw any of those. I was kinda following Fuller by the time Mockingbird Lane was a thing but somehow I completely missed out on that show.

Mockingbird Lane was interesting because it seemed like Pushing Daisies oddness being applied to an old idea made in today's world. It was a lot like the feeling of The Munsters reboot/tv movie that was made in the 90's, but better. It was very strange but it was OK because I think it being turned down as a series is what gave us Hannibal.

Brashnir

Maybe I have this wrong but I think a lot of why Fuller left Heroes is because it was originally supposed to be new cast and heroes each season and Kring went with the studio in thinking the cast was too popular and axing that idea. I know that was a big change at the time, but I could be making up the Fuller leaving because of it aspect.

I have no idea about any of the behind-the-scenes drama, but I recognize a narrative dead-end when I see one.

Oh damn, Brian Fuller wrote for Heroes? Yeah, him leaving after just one season would certainly explain the drop in quality.

Zaph

Brian Fuller wasn't just involved with Hannibal, that show was Brian Fuller. Utterly fantastic series, but can't really be mad they cancelled it - the fact we got three seasons is a miracle.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
DRgF8Dx.png

LiK

Oh damn, Brian Fuller wrote for Heroes? Yeah, him leaving after just one season would certainly explain the drop in quality.

yea, from what I recall, the other writers were scrambling without him. such a shame because Heroes could've been a legendary show.

Xater

Yup, left after the first season and went on to create Pushing Daisies. He does have some production credits for Heroe later, but wasn't really involved.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Despite it being canceled the show actually has a fitting end. I can't recommend it enough. For me it's up there with the best of the best. By the that I mean the likes of Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones or Mad men.

I'd generally prefer series end earlier than later, but his shows just never seemed to get the chance to wrap anything up in a satisfying way. Glad to hear that's different with Hannibal. I was uninterested in the idea for the show from the start so I never really paid it any attention.

Xater

I'd generally prefer series end earlier than later, but his shows just never seemed to get the chance to wrap anything up in a satisfying way. Glad to hear that's different with Hannibal. I was uninterested in the idea for the show from the start so I never really paid it any attention.

Trust me I thought it was super dumb that they are making a series out of that source material. Then I heard about who was involved and gave it a shot. Super worth watching.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Aw tuned in and no stream. Did they say they'd be back or something?

EDIT: wait its not streaming on the front page, I had to click into "join the chat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom