• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to find this whole shirt thing in bad taste.

It's like, ok, the first couple of them were cute and funny. But at this point he's just milking GB fans(And, Dan Fans I guess?). Yeah yeah people will spend money on whatever, but this just seems abusive.

It's like, ok, the first couple of them were cute and funny. But at this point he's just milking GB fans(And, Dan Fans I guess?). Yeah yeah people will spend money on whatever, but this just seems abusive.

That's how I've felt from the start, people can buy what they want, clearly some are from the amount of those that he's done but it just feels gross and kind of scummy to me.

Megasoum

Banned

Yup agree.

That's how I've felt from the start, people can buy what they want, clearly some are from the amount of those that he's done but it just feels gross and kind of scummy to me.

That too

Bacon

The one time I agree with Breezy

Xyrmellon

Okay, joke's over, you guys can come clean and tell me that I'm the only person in this thread who isn't ordering all of Dan's shirts.

I ordered one of his shirts around Christmas, but I'm with most of the others, this seems, idunno, kind of bad taste and really unnecessary.

And the sad thing is, based on past experience, the more outcry the more he'll do it.

Tubobutts

I'm all for spending money on stupid stuff, but I also don't get why you would want such ugly shirts. I don't really think it's exploitative since I don't see how anyone is being tricked into buying them, I just don't know why anyone would want to buy one.

Would this be better or worse if the shirts looked awesome?
I still wouldn't buy one, but then I would at least understand why other people do.

Dineren

Banned
I'm all for spending money on stupid stuff, but I also don't get why you would want such ugly shirts. I don't really think it's exploitative since I don't see how anyone is being tricked into buying them, I just don't know why anyone would want to buy one.

I still wouldn't buy one, but then I would at least understand why other people do.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it's exploitative at all. I do think the people that buy them are pretty silly, but more power to Dan for marketing himself.

Frenden

Banned
I was an apparel designer for over a decade. I don't object morally, much*. But that's an unnattractive shirt. At least bilk me with good art.

*Screen printed soft goods is a pretty awful industry as an art dude, though. Glad I don't do that anymore.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nestle trying to make water a privatised thing is exploitative.

Dan making dumb shirt for people who are presumably rational adults is not exploitative.

Basically essentials vs non-essentials.

Frenden

Banned
Nestle trying to make water a privatised thing is exploitative.

Dan making dumb shirt for people who are presumably rational adults is not exploitative.

Basically essentials vs non-essentials.
Yeah. I don't have any objections. Apparently people want them.

Shrug-o-meter level: a solid eight.

hamchan

Giant Bomb fans can spend their money on whatever they want.

It's not like he's taking advantage of mentally ill people. Maybe.

justjim89

I much prefer Dan's pop ins to the thread than Brad's. Brad always pops in angry, like a dad that hears you playing your Gameboy when you're supposed to be asleep.

valeo

Any one of us can make dumb t-shirts with our names on it.

It just so happens that a few people seem to ironically buy his. That's fine.

Megasoum

Banned
Any one of us can make dumb t-shirts with our names on it.

It just so happens that a few people seem to ironically buy his. That's fine.

The difference is that we didn't happen to automaticaly get tens of thousands new followers the day we started working our current job.

jambo

I wonder how Jeff feels about all this stuff Dan does.

If Dan had stayed at GameInformer, he would probably have way less followers on Periscope and Twitter, and therefore wouldn't have anywhere near as many people buying his shirts and sending him Amiibos. Feels like GB should some how get something from all the shirts he sells.

On the other hand, he is doing all of this stuff on his own time so maybe it's fine.

From Jeff.zone

Anonymous asked:
Given how personality-based your website's content and appeal is, does it ever feel like something of a conflict of interest when an employee (like Dan, or formerly Patrick) gets something of a following on their own personal Youtube and Twitch channels with series of their own? Like, I'm not saying you should lay the hammer down on home-streaming or anything, but is there ever a time when you feel the urge to go, "Hey, save it for site content." I'm just curious.

We don’t really have a hard and fast rule about that stuff. On some level, we survive by exposing what we do to as many new people as possible. So getting out there and doing stuff outside of the site (like this Tumblr, for example) can only help with that goal.

(Though it sorta sucks when people write about the Patrick/Dan stuff and don’t link the words “Giant Bomb” back to the site. Eh. Whatever.)

hamchan

Giantbomb.com sells awfully designed shirts to their fanbase too to try and make some money.
So does the WWE with their bad merch.
Dan is just a smart guy learning from the top.

I much prefer Dan's pop ins to the thread than Brad's. Brad always pops in angry, like a dad that hears you playing your Gameboy when you're supposed to be asleep.

Dan "Good Cop" Ryckert!

Internet History.

front.png

It's such an ironic T that it comes back around to not being that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom