• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Now we are back in here I am disappointed in the lack of drive by Bloodborne / Witcher 3 robbed posts in the goty thread

That's because Joke Gerstfail and Fad Poomaker suck at video games so they would never appreciate something as divine as Bloodborne.

As for Witcher 3, the entire site's humour is based on pretentious cynical hipster meme lowest common denominator of course they didn't recognise that game's transcendent writing.

hamchan

Now we are back in here I am disappointed in the lack of drive by Bloodborne / Witcher 3 robbed posts in the goty thread

The most passion I heard from Dan over the entire five days of GOTY casts was arguing against The Witcher 3 winning anything in any category and he couldn't even accomplish that.

Made a breakfast tortilla for myself today.

It was real good.

LhGIHn9.gif

Tubobutts

That's because Joke Gerstfail and Fad Poomaker suck at video games so they would never appreciate something as divine as Bloodborne.

As for Witcher 3, the entire site's humour is based on pretentious cynical hipster meme lowest common denominator of course they didn't recognise that game's transcendent writing.

Wait a minute, I thought it was Def(initely the) Worstmann.

The most passion I heard from Dan over the entire five days of GOTY casts was arguing against The Witcher 3 winning anything in any category and he couldn't even accomplish that.

Brutal but true, Dan was one of the weaker GOTY players for sure. His arguments against Witcher and for Mario Maker were pretty bad.

neshcom

Banned
I'm glad the GOTY thread is over only because I couldn't keep up with them as they released. Barely even watched all of the day one recap.

Was gonna knock out 4 and 5 on my flight home today, but damn, they're both over 3 hours.

Zaph

Brutal but true, Dan was one of the weaker GOTY players for sure. His arguments against Witcher and for Mario Maker were pretty bad.

Dan was similar to Jeff in not caring about #2-#10. He knew his top favourite games were a lock for #1 & #2, so he just had to pretend to care about the rest and get involved with the odd bit of a horse-trading like for Ori.

danm999

Project B.E.A.S.T. on Monday, and a Ryckert cast on Tuesday-ish. Excellent.

Is there a place to see upcoming content on the site with the GOTY layout at the moment?

so he just had to pretend to care about the rest and get involved with the odd bit of a horse-trading like for Ori.

Dan's Ori moment was great. He sounded like a disapproving dad telling you that your room better be all cleaned up by the time he checks in on you again.

Myggen

Is there a place to see upcoming content on the site with the GOTY layout at the moment?

Nope. The Live Bomb! Chrome extension shows that there's nothing on the schedule. But they mentioned on the Beastcast that a Project BEAST video would go up on Monday, and Dan said on his latest MM stream that the Ryckertcast would go up early next week.

Dan was similar to Jeff in not caring about #2-#10. He knew his top favourite games were a lock for #1 & #2, so he just had to pretend to care about the rest and get involved with the odd bit of a horse-trading like for Ori.

That Ori bit was the best. And yeah, Dan and especially Jeff took an all-in on #1 approach this year. I can't remember the last time Jeff was so laser-focused on getting a game to the top spot.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm still cackling over Austin getting Anno on Best Clicker Game.

Austin and Jeff both deserve awards for their GOTY performances. Austin had a strong overall showing, Jeff on the other hand went into the week knowing two absolute facts: Fallout 4 was incredibly disappointing but not necessarily the most disappointing and Mario Maker is the best thing that was sold for money this year. And he was not going to stop podcasting until Giant Bomb as a whole recognized those two facts.

Harpuia

Whoah there's a new beastcast. During the GOTY week?! Yet the chuckleheads in the California office went all "weh, I can't do a podcast, there's already enough!"

I think we've all learned where the real hard work comes from.

Bowlie

Banned
Yeah, I posted most of them in the comment section. You might want to repost them since I'm sure they've been buried by now.

okay, done that! Thank you anyway c:

And yeah, often I had to go back and listen to segments again to get the exact time. I think I've never given so much attention to a podcast.

Myggen

Whoah there's a new beastcast. During the GOTY week?! Yet the chuckleheads in the California office went all "weh, I can't do a podcast, there's already enough!"

I think we've all learned where the real hard work comes from.

Never miss a Friday.

Harpuia

Never miss a Friday.

I would've been just fine with them using Day 5 as their "podcast for Friday." But dudes whipped up a podcast!

The beastcast... a podcast to surpass the bombcast. From day one it won me over, and it completely became better once Austin joined.

Fireblend

Banned
It's gonna suck not having any GOTY deliberations to listen to today. I think this was the first year I listened the whole way through the proceedings and they were so damn good.

chrixter

I will continue to rail against the argument that GB's platform enables a uniquely enjoyable Mario Maker experience for them that isn't available to the average player. Lots of comments over on GB once again lamenting how difficult/impossible it is to watch people play your levels.

As I type this I see 10 people accepting viewer levels on Twitch. You could submit a level to all of them right now and probably watch it get played by several of them within the next hour. It's been extremely easy to do since the game launched and will continue to be at least until the Mario Maker streaming community dies.

Myggen

I would've been just fine with them using Day 5 as their "podcast for Friday." But dudes whipped up a podcast!

Wouldn't have counted since it's in the Bombcast feed.

edit: I had completely forgotten that Awesome Games Done Quick starts tomorrow. Sweet!

There should be an amazing amount of salt coming out of the Mario Maker decision, despite the fact that it was telegraphed for weeks and certainly has been a bright neon sign for the last week of deliberations.

I'm just glad Destiny didn't somehow sneak in.

Also I'm glad we're back in the proper topic.

This is a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the episode number of the Bombcast where Vinny was hosting / editing and Patrick was on the show telling a story... Vinny edited it in a really cool way but chopping it up and adding in music and sound effects and stuff.

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Zaph

Just realised I never watched the infamous dmx upf. Fixing that later.

There should be an amazing amount of salt coming out of the Mario Maker decision, despite the fact that it was telegraphed for weeks and certainly has been a bright neon sign for the last week of deliberations.

I'm not really seeing much of it, maybe it's on the GB forums? Most people seem to be going 'yup, smm was pretty obviously their goty'.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm actually surprised at how well represented the games I played and enjoyed are in this list, considering I skipped next to all AAA releases this year. Didn't play Fallout, Witcher, MGS, Bloodborne, etc.

I should really play Grow Home.

danm999

That's not the instance I'm talking about. It wasn't edited to be funny. It was edited to sound awesome, like a radio story. I'm pretty sure Patrick was telling a story about EVE?

I remember the incident you're talking about. Patrick said something like there was only one of something and Vinny slowed down the words "only one" or something and repeated them in slow motion a bunch of times with an ominous musical backdrop as Patrick was saying it.

Edit; ah you found it.

I'd watch a feature where Austin plays Invisible Inc and I never thought I'd be saying that about a rougelike.

I liked Patrick's Spelunky and Binding of Issac daily shows, and I can see Austin making Invisible Inc. work as a feature.

Going to need an actual Build Club with Vinny's woodworking segment though. And I loved seeing the tortilla maker in action at last this year.

Lelcar

Wouldn't have counted since it's in the Bombcast feed.

Yep, and the Beastcast has its own fans. Vinny mentions that some people only listen to the Beastcast. I'm there in spirit. I still listen to the Bombcast every week because it's instinctively ingrained into my routine having listened to it since 2008, but my heart is with the Beastcast, so it's awesome that they put out an episode for their fans and that Vinny really enjoys doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom