• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Cyber sleuth for sure, eo untold and lol strong contenders when I brush off my backlog and bravely second needs to do a lot of convincing for me. Definitely strong though.

I also need to polish off tits SC, tits CS, atelier ayesha and xenoblade aaaaaaaaaaaah.

i've had the weirdest arc in my reflecting upon bravely default

i was extremely positive on it at first when playing it at launch along with everybody else, then cooled on it big time after hitting *that* point in the game and stopping (along with everybody else) but recently, i've been thinking about it in a more favourable light again

it couldn't be more ripe for iteration and improvement since it had a whole bunch of great stuff going on. with better characters (and better writing in general) and an interesting overworld, it'd have a shot at being outstanding. so with that in mind, i am 100% checking that out day 1, just to see if they made good on the potential

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
i've had the weirdest arc in my reflecting upon bravely default

i was extremely positive on it at first when playing it at launch along with everybody else, then cooled on it big time after hitting *that* point in the game and stopping (along with everybody else) but recently, i've been thinking about it in a more favourable light again

it couldn't be more ripe for iteration and improvement since it had a whole bunch of great stuff going on. with better characters (and better writing in general) and an interesting overworld, it'd have a shot at being outstanding

I would agree with you, honestly. Except for the thinking about it in a more favourable light again part. That's why I'm still willing to give it a chance.

demidar

Bravely Default has one of the best non TRPG turn-based battle system in a JRPG, with an excellent class system to boot.

Now if they could fix everything else that's not the music that'd be swell.

yami4ct

I'm very tempted to buy a second gunpla and some panel liner pens. But if I have two gunpla, I can't pretend I hate anime anymore. What am I supposed to do?

Give in and go again. The Barbatos Long Range Booster I just poster is really impressive for the price. If you import directly from japan, you could probably get it for around $40 shipped and it's pretty damn huge.

You could ship the pens with it as well of course.

Holy shit. Just realized the Korean GunPla reviewer I follow for galleries got a hold of a really early RX-78 kit. Look at this thing.

f01_02.jpg

All 1 color plastic and barely any jointing. Crazy how far these things have come.

daydream

Banned
I would agree with you, honestly. Except for the thinking about it in a more favourable light again part. That's why I'm still willing to give it a chance.

yes, well - i should clarify: the source of that light is not me thinking any differently of the shortcomings of that game but just the fact that, as the game grew distant and second popped up on the horizon, i started thinking about that game's strengths and the potential of a sequel again. my overall criticisms from 2013 have remained unchanged, that game has big issues

i liked the music a lot

yes, absolutely

revo isn't coming back for second, though

Bravely Default has one of the best non TRPG turn-based battle system in a JRPG, with an excellent class system to boot.

Now if they could fix everything else that's not the music that'd be swell.

pretty much

it also had, frankly, incredible art sometimes, especially for the towns, and the 3d complimented it nicely

Antiwhippy

Yeah having to be an AoT fan is the greatest piece of humiliation a human being can endure.

I'd say AoT is an even bigger embarrassment than neptunia.

We're back!

Austins Gunpla Club update for myself-

Working on 1/144 HG Sazabi. I realized why I take so long for building them, I like to detail them with my gunpen. Current progress-

Shield size comparison next to another 1/144 Gundam I have(An old one at that @_@, but there to show how massive Sazabi will be for his scale, and Sazabi is taller than his shield)

yami4ct

your nightmare wish is my command

I'm so sorry.

That is completely and beautifully acceptable

The fact that Attack on Titan Junior High is a thing will never not make me laugh. 'Here's a show who's only notable quality is its ultraviolence. I know! Let's make a chibi comedy out of it.'

Tubobutts

I think the problem is I don't know anything about gundam stuff so I'm just looking at the things Amazon recommends if they don't seem too expensive and look cool.

Also is this lady a gundam? Gunpla is weird.

Jintor

The fact that Attack on Titan Junior High is a thing will never not make me laugh. 'Here's a show who's only notable quality is its ultraviolence. I know! Let's make a chibi comedy out of it.'

given that what a lot of anime fans actually truly like is characters and character interaction as opposed to story and whatever, it makes a lot of sense to me

yami4ct

I think the problem is I don't know anything about gundam stuff so I'm just looking at the things Amazon recommends if they don't seem too expensive and look cool.

Also is this lady a gundam? Gunpla is weird.

I could explain that to you, but I also don't think it would make it less weird.

Ok, so MS Girls have been a thing for a while. Bandai does figures that are females dressed up in Gundam armor. This is a spin on that where the main girl in a gundam show that's about building kits makes a kit that looks like herself. It's a thing.

What price range you looking at? That might help. I can definitely point you at some good shit.

This Barbatos Long Range Booster kit is one I'm currently looking at. It's a HG, so it's not all that difficult, but it's still pretty damn impressive. It also gives you the main suit from the new show and a bunch to go with him as well as the giant booster rocket.

Antiwhippy

given that what a lot of anime fans actually truly like is characters and character interaction as opposed to story and whatever, it makes a lot of sense to me

I mean if they liked story they would never watch AoT in the first place.

yami4ct

I mean if they liked story they would never watch AoT in the first place.

AoT has one character who's kind of cool but they don't do shit with and one character who's the stereotypical cool guy, so of course everyone fawns all over him. There's also the meme potato girl I guess.

I can't imagine someone watching AoT for the character work. It's bad even by Anime standards.

....I watched AoT for the story. I really wanted to find out what was in the basement and what was up with the giant gorilla talking giant.

Harpuia

holy fuck! I've never seen that art before

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

This cover is unnerving. I love it so much for that. If this game was also coming to consoles, this would NEVER have made it out as the official art!

God. Finishing up my Xcom run right now (waiting for the gollop chamber to finish), I am awaiting this game so much. Ugh I love how they're taking the story/world of Xcom in an interesting direction, AND making it strategically interesting via you essentially playing XCOM against the aliens, but as the invaders.

yami4ct

....I watched AoT for the story. I really wanted to find out what was in the basement and what was up with the giant gorilla talking giant.

The basement in AoT is a symbol of everything wrong with AoT (and kind of long form anime in general, but AoT is so much worse at it).

AoT is the Fallout 4 of anime. Good ideas hampered by the fact the people making it have zero incentive to improve. Demand better people!

Tubobutts

I could explain that to you, but I also don't think it would make it less weird.

Ok, so MS Girls have been a thing for a while. Bandai does figures that are females dressed up in Gundam armor. This is a spin on that where the main girl in a gundam show that's about building kits makes a kit that looks like herself. It's a thing.

What price range you looking at? That might help. I can definitely point you at some good shit.

This Barbatos Long Range Booster kit is one I'm currently looking at. It's a HG, so it's not all that difficult, but it's still pretty damn impressive. It also gives you the main suit from the new show and a bunch to go with him as well as the giant booster rocket.

I'm trying to stay under $20 because that is my general limit for dumb stuff that I won't feel too bad if I end up regretting it.

I've been looking at this or this so far.
Although I'm probably going to buy on Amazon since I have Prime.

In Giant Bomb news, I'm looking forward to more Kerbal and hope they do tabletop stuff more often than just during holidays.

Jintor

AoT has one character who's kind of cool but they don't do shit with and one character who's the stereotypical cool guy, so of course everyone fawns all over him. There's also the meme potato girl I guess.

I can't imagine someone watching AoT for the character work. It's bad even by Anime standards.

OK when I say character what I actually mean is pleasing collection of tropes and relationships with other collections of tropes

yami4ct

I'm trying to stay under $20 because that is my general limit for dumb stuff that I won't feel too bad if I end up regretting it.

G-Arcane is pretty dope. G-Self Perfect is my favorite design from the whole show, but that might not be something you're into.

From the new show, the base Barbatos kit has a giant mace and that's pretty fantastic. There's also the Gusion, which starts off with a shitty pilot on the show, but he loses it pretty quickly and the design is stupid fun. That hammer is comically large. It also has rocket boosters on the hammer.

yami4ct

IBO is my first Gundam show. I'll probably end up picking up the Barbatos.

It's been ages since we've had a mainline Gundam show be this good. It's taking every ounce of my willpower to not buy most of those suits. I suspect that willpower will run out soon.

Seriously, IBO has to get bad soon. It has to. The Gundam curse does not allow for good TV.

Did anyone else catch Brad saying "when we release this to 12 million people "
during the day two of the game of the year casts holy shit I didn't know the bomb cast of that many people listening that's amazing

GavinGT

Banned
Did anyone else catch Brad saying "when we release this to 12 million people "
during the day two of the game of the year casts holy shit I didn't know the bomb cast of that many people listening that's amazing

The real number is in the hundreds of thousands. Jeff said it once (I think when justifying putting in podcast ads), but I can't remember exactly what he said.

Although I'm probably going to buy on Amazon since I have Prime.

In Giant Bomb news, I'm looking forward to more Kerbal and hope they do tabletop stuff more often than just during holidays.

Under 20, huh? I have some suggestions-
This ones cool

His Bro has a sword

Can't go wrong with Palace Athene

Or if you're feeling a bit Noir

yami4ct

You have me on edge.

Of the main line shows, going in reverse chronological order, you have G-Reco. That was weird, short and kind of bad. You have Age, which was just shit all around. You have 00, which had a good first season and then went to shit. You then have Gundam SEED Destiny, which is one of the hottest messes put to screen. The last Gundam show that was consistent from beginning to end was Gundam SEED and even then that's arguable as a good chunk of people don't dig that one (I like it). That was 2002. Basically, mainline Gundam has been kind of a burning garbage fire for like 13 years.

Being a Gundam fan is hard.

Feels good to be back in community.

Now I can talk about Adventure Zone without feeling weird. I'm almost all caught up and I feel really sad. Is mbmbam any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom