• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Same here. Got the Lionheart edition on Vita as well, but probably won't start it till after Xenoblade. Having too much fun with that game to stop now.

I felt like I ripped them off for only paying $30 for it :p

Better than almost all the game I paid $60 for.

I would've totaly paid $60+ each for FC and SC. They are such incredible games.

Jealous of those getting their Lionheart Editions of Cold Steel today. Mine won't be here until tomorrow. Amazon was a bit slow shipping it out to me.

KingKong

It's absolutely a nerd culture thing, both with hoarding and this insane fixation on executive meddling and the idea that the creator's TRUE vision is always one director's cut away. I mean, you can look at the obsession about "hidden" MGSV chapter three content for the latest example. Creators who are subject to nerd idol worship are usually considered infallible and any attempt to alter their "vision" -- like, say, removing a boob size slider -- is seen as a violation. It's out of control.

I think its less nerd culture and more any obsessed culture, people do the same thing with movies and albums and Im sure some kind of stamp culture has their version of this

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
"Vandalizing art is the kind of thing one expects from Trump and his ilk. I should be surprised by how many people here seem turned on by the idea. But I'm not."

Disappointed-Dog-Face-04.jpg

yeah it's like 1/50 or something? who cares.

Oh that Trump. Just like Hitler in how I can use his name in any context just to make people look bad when they disagree with me. What a scamp.

KingKong

Movies, album and stamps all fall under the nerd umbrella really if one is obsessive enough.

eh, I think you can be part of 'nerd culture' by just being into Marvel movies or by posting on neogaf and not to the degree of being really really really into something

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
eh, I think you can be part of 'nerd culture' by just being into Marvel movies or by posting on neogaf and not to the degree of being really really really into something

You can partake in it sure, but to me nerd denotes a certain level of passion.

Strax

Giant Bomb hitched their wagon to a real winner in Max Temkin.

As someone who has been a premium member for over two years, checks out most content and every Bombcast Max Temkin isn't even in the top 50 people I think of when thinking Giant Bomb.

yami4ct

Just bought Undertale. I realize that game has long gone past 'hyped' to land at 'overhyped', so my expectations are in check. A lot of people here seem to really dig that game, so I guess it's worth checking out.

justjim89

I gotta say, I appreciate how Steam has done away with all the timed minigame flash sale super flash sale bullshit for these recent sales. A lot simpler.

neshcom

Banned
Has anyone tried Big Pharma and Infinifactory? They're both on sale and I've heard good things about both, but it seems redundant to get both.

Bowlie

Banned
Just bought Undertale. I realize that game has long gone past 'hyped' to land at 'overhyped', so my expectations are in check. A lot of people here seem to really dig that game, so I guess it's worth checking out.

For me, he's at "another pixel art indie" level of expectation. I really wanna be surprised by it, though.

(I'll watch Gundam tonight; thanks for those tips a week ago, yami)

yami4ct

I gotta say, I appreciate how Steam has done away with all the timed minigame flash sale super flash sale bullshit for these recent sales. A lot simpler.

The one problem with that is it seems we're not seeing as steep a discount on newer titles from major publishers. They aren't willing to slash their year old game 75% for the whole sale, while the would for a flash deal.

yami4ct

For me, he's at "another pixel art indie" level of expectation. I really wanna be surprised by it, though.

What are you checking out? The 0079 movies? The 08th MS Team/War in the Pocket OVAs? I assume you're not reading The Origin manga yet (best place to start, but I can understand looking elsewhere. Manga is a massive undertaking). I'll be interested to hear what you think of your starting point.

The one problem with that is it seems we're not seeing as steep a discount on newer titles from major publishers. They aren't willing to slash their year old game 75% for the whole sale, while the would for a flash deal.

They've also done a poor job of surfacing the deals which means that your odds of stumbling across something neat that you've never heard is less likely to happen than it was with the old sales.

Antiwhippy

Has anyone tried Big Pharma and Infinifactory? They're both on sale and I've heard good things about both, but it seems redundant to get both.

Infinifactory is by the same people that did spacechem aka one of the greatest puzzle games ever made.

Get it.

Starting with the original trilogy movies I assume? That's where I started and I really enjoyed it.

Same. Picked up a bunch of stuff like KOTOR and New Vegas neither of which I've ever played.

Also got KoF 98.

yami4ct

They've also done a poor job of surfacing the deals which means that your odds of stumbling across something neat that you've never heard is less likely to happen than it was with the old sales.

Yep. I pretty much can only rely on the community telling me what's good as well as throwing things on my wishlist as I get recommendations and picking those up as they hit sales. Outside of the major stuff, it's near impossible to find sale items.

I wonder how this affects uptake for small publishers like XSEED? When they got Ys or Trails featured on a Daily, that exposure would obviously lead to more sales. Now their stuff is mostly buried even though their deals are as good. Hopefully Steam can rectify that. I'd hate to see the Japanese push to PC stall.

Antiwhippy

I've managed to tailor my steam experience to be the anime nightmare I want it to be.

Did you know that there's a sakura Santa?

Winged cloud milking that cow like crazy.

jaina

Without the flash deals I just bought half of my wishlist (everything <$15).

For example Super Chibi Knight for $3, the Quick Look tells me it's worth a try.

I'd like a "own on GOG" (or at least "own already") choice for the discovery queue, but until then (never) the "not interested" button will have to suffice.

TraBuch

Banned
Are people surprised by this? This is from the company that threw out all subtlety of Apples & Oranges and said 'but yeah what if we made a game where it said vagina instead!'

Cards Against Humanity was always a try-hard Apples and Oranges. It's the DmC of Apples and Oranges.
Do you mean Apples to Apples or is there actually a game called Apples and Oranges that I've never heard of?

daydream

Banned
relistening to the 2014 gotycasts has been fun, more so than i remember them being

it's probably only the day 5 cast that's gonna bring the pain

Are people surprised by this? This is from the company that threw out all subtlety of Apples & Oranges and said 'but yeah what if we made a game where it said vagina instead!'

Cards Against Humanity was always a try-hard Apples and Oranges. It's the DmC of Apples and Oranges.
There was a time where I thought cards against humanity was cool enough that my girlfriend at the time bought me my own copy, but yeah, I've kinda turned around to thinking its sorta lame and trying too hard. I think some of the stuff Max and Co have been doing with their newfound popularity and wealth is neat.

relistening to the 2014 gotycasts has been fun, more so than i remember them being

it's probably only the day 5 cast that's gonna bring the pain

Still never finished the final two podcasts of 2014. Partly spoilers, partly 2014 was a weak year and I wasn't as invested.

daydream

Banned
Nothing is more painful than the last day of 2011.

i dunno, i vividly remember listening to that cast while playing rock of ages on 360

i was thoroughly entertained throughout. i didn't have a horse in the race, although i do remember kinda rooting for saints row, simply because it seemed like THE game to win the giant bomb goty that year, just would have suited them so well in a lot of ways

but yeah, even four years ago i already knew to not care about the result and just enjoy the ride. not caring about the games "wronged", so-to-speak, helps with that, no doubt

Alfredo

Man, Devil's Third continues to look fun, but not $60 fun. It's a shame that it's basically a digital-only release at this point. I doubt Nintendo will drop the eShop price to something desirable anytime soon. :(

daydream

Banned
you know, tropical freeze was easily the best soundtrack last year but the way jeff bullied it off the list was expertly fucking done, can't hate on that

There was a time where I thought cards against humanity was cool enough that my girlfriend at the time bought me my own copy, but yeah, I've kinda turned around to thinking its sorta lame and trying too hard. I think some of the stuff Max and Co have been doing with their newfound popularity and wealth is neat.

I think he has gone on record as saying that he's pretty much over playing CAH as well (esp because making the cards as a job sucks a lot of the fun). Although I do worry that going after the secret identities market isn't the greatest idea, as that's a type of game easy to burn out on as well, but I guess this will be a lot of people's first experience outside of an occasional mafia/werewolf.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
you know, tropical freeze was easily the best soundtrack last year but the way jeff bullied it off the list was expertly fucking done, can't hate on that
All examples I've heard are from that podcast, so I still think it's terrible.

Antiwhippy

Someone better come to bat for undertale's soundtrack.

Not many games get a metal tribute album so shortly after release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom