• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-gamespot-staffs-favorite-games-of-2015/1100-6432505/

I don't know if this has been talked about yet, but I found that it was kinda interesting that Witcher 3 only was Danny's GOTY and it barely scratched anyone else's top 3, yet won overall GOTY..... Danny must have final say.

Not saying that's bad, I actually think it's easily the strongest game that came out this year. I adored that game and think it's far superior than any of the other games on those lists.

Since Battle.net, I've started to playing the previous Steamworld game, Dig, and it's uhm...it's decent. A good time waster(?)? A good podcast game I suppose..

popo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-gamespot-staffs-favorite-games-of-2015/1100-6432505/

I don't know if this has been talked about yet, but I found that it was kinda interesting that Witcher 3 only was Danny's GOTY and it barely scratched anyone else's top 3, yet won overall GOTY..... Danny must have final say.

Not saying that's bad, I actually think it's easily the strongest game that came out this year. I adored that game and think it's far superior than any of the other games on those lists.

Danny is far from the boss but that is how consensus lists work. If there is no clear winner you end up with the game with the most second and third preference votes.

I wonder if Chris Watters will post his Top 5 sponsored content games of the year.

should i buy evil within or killer is dead on steam?

KiD isn't a very deep game but it's surprisingly decent. and the PC version comes with some items you had to grind out (that people complained about), I'm not too sure on the details, but it wasn't grindy at all

some of the stages are really neat looking

Bowlie

Banned
What are you checking out? The 0079 movies? The 08th MS Team/War in the Pocket OVAs? I assume you're not reading The Origin manga yet (best place to start, but I can understand looking elsewhere. Manga is a massive undertaking). I'll be interested to hear what you think of your starting point.

Starting with the original trilogy movies I assume? That's where I started and I really enjoyed it.

Well, right now the only thing I know about this series is "robots going to war", so I'll watch the first movie to get acquainted with the plot/characters/world and then head into the manga. I remember yami saying a lot of good stuff about it. Once that's done, I'll go back and watch the other two movies.

And thanks for your tips as well, farebear (i'll call you that); still have them bookmarked here, haha

yami4ct

Well, right now the only thing I know about this series is "robots going to war", so I'll watch the first movie to get acquainted with the plot/characters/world and then head into the manga. I remember yami saying a lot of good stuff about it. Once that's done, I'll go back and watch the other two movies.

And thanks for your tips as well, farebear (i'll call you that); still have them bookmarked here, haha

Not a bad plan. The movies are pretty much just footage from the show edited for better pacing. The manga also covers the whole series, but doesn't cut content, still fixes pacing and gives you a different angle on some stuff. The early manga will cover what you see in the Movie, but the art is so good it doesn't matter. It also changes it a bit up here and there.

Megasoum

Banned
shn4VBK.png

YkZaFi9.png

justjim89

greg "star wars for kids" gertsmann is more annoying that dan "normal" rykert

Isn't Star Wars for kids, though? I mean, it's old fantasy stories set in space with lasers and explosions. Of course it's for kids. That's not a bad thing.

Wrestling is for kids.

Video games are for kids.

An-Det

Nothing is more painful than the last day of 2011.

As part of my full listen through the bombcast, I finished that a few days ago having never heard it before. It did not disappoint, with a full hour dedicated to just the battle between Skyrim and Saint's Row, with Ryan at the end just wanting to be done with it and conceding to Brad's determination. I can imagine the thread back when that released being pretty crazy, given that it's mentioned to this day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm told Trails In The Sky is extremely long. And I already have too many extremely long games unfinished.

GrownUpLifeYa'll

Tubobutts

Better than Dan "Disney is for kids but Nintento is fine for adults" Rykert.

Isn't it more Dan "Everything I like is something I started liking when I was a kid, so technically everything I like is for kids, but Disney/Pixar is for kids so I don't like it" Ryckert

Bowlie

Banned
I played Trails in the Sky: FC for a couple of hours and the whole time I was thinking "this is just a RPG Maker game, huh".

I know it isn't, and I had similar thoughts on To The Moon before playing it and ate crow in the end. So what should I do to feel something more about it?

Danny's been taking tips from Brad, probably.

I love that the Beastcast are embracing regular silly segments.

In addition to or replacing their usual irregular silly segments?

Punching Joshua in the face.
In my headcanon.

Boooooooooooooooo.

WasabiJoe

Neo Member
With GOTY and the steam sale upon us, I'm curious if I should buy Life is Strange. I'm was banking on GBeast to finish it and now I'm stuck in the conundrum of replaying chapters 1-4 (in terms of seen content) or just waiting for Vinnco to finish the fight. I'm also currently going through witcher 3 for GOTY spoilers as well.

Any thoughts?

I thought it was a great take on a somewhat tired formula and Steamworld Heist only continues that trend. I wasn't sure that a side-scrolling XCOM could work, but man, that game is cool as hell.

Yeah, if it comes out on PC or PS4 I'll definitely check it out. The reason I played Dig was because I saw the QL and told myself 'Oh, isn't that the same game as the one on PS4?'. I can't believe I've sat on it for so long( I downloaded it for PSPlus a long time ago)

yami4ct

What's the big selling point for Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky?

It's an old school style JRPG with a pretty decent battle system and pretty interesting character ability building system (think the materia stuff from FF7, but not broken as shit and people still have roles they are better suited for). The main positive is that it has an incredibly well realized world, great story and great cast. The world feels lived in with both a fascinating recent political history as well as a mysterious ancient past that's revealed to you over time. In the middle of that, the first game is a pretty cool coming of age tale for the main two characters.

I played Trails in the Sky: FC for a couple of hours and the whole time I was thinking "this is just a RPG Maker game, huh".

I know it isn't, and I had similar thoughts on To The Moon before playing it and ate crow in the end. So what should I do to feel something more about it?

I've never seen an RPG maker game look as good as Trails. Just keep going. Get into the story. Talk to NPCs and learn about the world. Read the newspapers you can buy at shops. Stuff like that. Also try to dig deeper into the Orbment system. It's quite original once you understand how it all works.

Also note that Trails in the Sky FC is a pretty slow coming of age story for the most part. It's there to build the characters and world. Stuff doesn't truly pop off until the second game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom