• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching the Secret Hitler stream that Lang was on from last night and I'm glad to see that even the creators know that person who screams "I'M SO CONFUSED HOW DO I WIN" five seconds into the explanation of the rules. There's one at every game night. Hidden identity games are a big hit with my group, though, so I'll pick this up.

Xater

Wait, Eric Pope is leaving Harmonix? How'd I miss that

Man I missed that as well somehow. Ubi Montreal is interesting. Wonder what he will do there exactly.

Makes me sad that a lot of the people I interacted with at Harmonix are now gone. I had fun seeing some of these guys at least once a year. :D

when you barely make it out of a ship in steamworld heist

H2jOBFa.gif

game's hot fire

tumblr_n9rkaz0uxu1qck9sro2_250.gif
when you wait for your sniper to exhale and steady his aim so you can thread a bullet between two pieces of cover into the back of a robot's skull
tumblr_n9rkaz0uxu1qck9sro3_250.gif

Just getting caught up on the GBEast Sentient playthrough, and this shit is great. Games like this were some of my favorite Random PC Game segments (Omikron, Outcast). It's really fascinating to peak in at this era of obscure PC games that were in no way following typical game design conventions and aspiring to be their own thing, and despite critically failing to make a fully functional game, being very ahead of their time (and head of the capabilities of the then-current technology) in some key way.

Like this Sentient game is completely horrible as a product but also pretty crazy ambitious with how it was developing this miniature open world with characters that have their own independent schedules and routines, the game unfolding dynamically in real time depending on your actions, etc.

daydream

Banned
tumblr_n9rkaz0uxu1qck9sro2_250.gif
when you wait for your sniper to exhale and steady his aim so you can thread a bullet between two pieces of cover into the back of a robot's skull
tumblr_n9rkaz0uxu1qck9sro3_250.gif

when some asshole scrapper shoots off my favorite hat

tumblr_nmzighncOW1u5eu8ao1_400.gif

it's amazing how strategy and execution interact in that game. when you wipe an entire room full of guys in one turn, you need both a good plan and a good aim. it's the most satisfying thing when it works out, when you nail a grenade or a sniper shot, it's so good. and you're never taking forever to set everything up, the game offers a super brisk pace and you go with it. it just keeps moving - quick look at the map, pick your waypoint, skip to it, nail an enemy, bring in the heavy hitter on an upper plane, send a grenade flying, watch robots blow up, loot the hats and sacks, press forward. it feels so intuitive and badass.

yami4ct

Yup. Dude's seen and did some shit. Shit be raw for him.

Late game Trails in the Sky SC Spoiler. This is a serious one, so be prepared all.

The revelation about the destruction of Hamel is insane. The idea that a political group would wipe out an entire town of their own just to provoke a war and demonstrate military dominance is depressing as hell. That whole story is absolutely heartbreaking.

Frith

i love that jeff knows its 999

my pet theory of why giantbomb is the best is jeff and ryans transatlantic influences

proud americans with just enough self loathing

Tucah

you speak so well
I played Trails in the Sky: FC for a couple of hours and the whole time I was thinking "this is just a RPG Maker game, huh".

I know it isn't, and I had similar thoughts on To The Moon before playing it and ate crow in the end. So what should I do to feel something more about it?

Just keep playing - you'll start to understand the world more as you talk to NPCs, get a better sense for the characters who are constantly improving and getting development and eventually threads of the story will start to gain a little steam.

TraBuch

Banned
Nah you can skip the British season. Start with the first cinemax season. The beginning of the first episode is tied to the British season but you'll catch up quickly.
Good, because only the Cinemax seasons are on Amazon Prime.

I shall watch it now.

Megasoum

Banned
Good, because only the Cinemax seasons are on Amazon Prime.

I shall watch it now.

I find the action scenes better than any TV shows ever. You can see they have very good military advisors on set. They know how to handle their guns and how to move properly.

Also, it's one of the best bromance on TV

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah... I never watched Banshee and heard only good things. I should check it out at some point.
Yeah, you definitely need to check it out. The action is ridiculous, especially some of the hand-to-hand scenes. One in particular in the first season really stands out. When you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Haunted

I gotta say, I appreciate how Steam has done away with all the timed minigame flash sale super flash sale bullshit for these recent sales. A lot simpler.
It's simpler, alright. Instead of coming back every day to look at new sales, new games, flash deals and hidden dailies, I just check the sales page on a third party site once, buy 5 games for 2 Euros and don't touch the steam storefront for a couple weeks.

Not an improvement on the customer engagement and event front - which, as strange as it sounds, were a big appeal of the Steam sales for many people in here.

KingKong

It's simpler, alright. Instead of coming back every day to look at new sales, new games, flash deals and hidden dailies, I just check the sales page on a third party site once, buy 5 games for 2 Euros and don't touch the steam storefront for a couple weeks.

Not an improvement on the customer engagement and event front - which, as strange as it sounds, were a big appeal of the Steam sales for many people in here.

yeah and while this is fine for the big games that will get highlighted anyway, all those smaller titles that were on flash sales and votes are going to miss out on a lot of attention and discussion

Its just easier to take in 4 games at a time and see what people have to say than it is reading huge lists of recommendations

Teddified

I've been using a Wired Xbox 360 controller for my PC for like 5+ years now, Do you guys think that getting a Xbox one controller with a usb cable would be worth it? Or is 360 still good enough for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom