• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

There are some shitty people on pc, but even those people haven't been so shitty that I've wanted to turn off the chat, it's normally like 1 comment along the lines of "lol, my team sucks". I imagine the game will have some long legs before the community becomes toxic, especially if Blizzard keeps new content coming at a regular rate.

In my ~8 hours of Overwatch, the chat has been pretty decent. Aside from one salty guy who kept insisting everyone report Bastion players, it's mostly 'gg wp'

I can't imagine a scenario in Overwatch where I would altogether stop playing because of what some random said in chat. Maybe that's a thing now in today's outrage culture where people look for anything to get offended by? The only people I've muted so far have been little kids and guys playing loud music in the background. Fun game, will continue to play for a long time.

I tried to find the last Saturday there wasn't content on but as I reached the beginning of April I figured there are better things to do with my time.

Granted a couple of them just had a Best of Giant Bomb video but it's still content.

In my ~8 hours of Overwatch, the chat has been pretty decent. Aside from one salty guy who kept insisting everyone report Bastion players, it's mostly 'gg wp'

I think I've only seen like 10 people who have been a little shitty (it was also mainly about Bastion) and I'm also around 10 hours so it's really not been bad at all. I think I've actually seen more positive comments so far, there has been a lot of gg/wp, advice to new players and just general positive comments when a match is going well.

I can't imagine a scenario in Overwatch where I would altogether stop playing because of what some random said in chat. Maybe that's a thing now in today's outrage culture where people look for anything to get offended by? The only people I've muted so far have been little kids and guys playing loud music in the background. Fun game, will continue to play for a long time.

Get out of here with that "outrage culture" bullshit. You know that internet communities can be really disgusting given the opportunity.

Not saying that Overwatch in particular has gone there (I wouldn't know).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I bought Overwatch last night explicitly because about seven other friends of mine were all playing at the same time. Hopefully the amount of random people I team up with is minimal at all times

Get out of here with that "outrage culture" bullshit. You know that internet communities can be really disgusting given the opportunity.

I'm not saying the internet isn't a huge tire fire, because it is for the most part. But to me it seems like many people go out of their way to find the worst parts of it and then joyously proclaim that they can't believe what they just found. It isn't bullshit but it does happen all the time and it has formed the mindset for a generation. You should play Overwatch. It's fun.

Rainmaker

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I don't like to lose but I have zero friends with Overwatch and have been on horrible teams (such as one team that thought "Hey, three of us should be Lucio since these two other people are Widowmaker and Mercy!") however I have so much fun just playing it that I don't really get upset all that much about those kind of things. I also haven't ran into any shitheads with mics on PS4 which is super surprising.

The term "outrage culture" is dismissive of a lot of problems. Probably not the best thing to throw around.

Volotaire

You don't know the meaning of a toxic community until you play L4D2 versus mode on PC. I feel bad for, in a period of time when I was a teenager, being that kind of guy. Gosh I was an idiot.

I was kind of bummed to see the latest DD is a 360 demo disc, but Jesus Christ, Jeff was on fire for a majority of the video.

You don't know the meaning of a toxic community until you play L4D2 versus mode on PC.

As someone who played a lot of that on the 360, let me tell you that it was no better there.

Thanks to people like me.

Salarians

I wonder if any of the GB crew will try SMTIV Apocalypse. I don't think any of them played the last one.
After the newest VRodeo, I kinda want nothing more than to see the GB guys go bowling for real.
They actually already did this!
Aren't people really into Lost Planet 2? And isn't Lost Planet 3's story supposed to be pretty fantastic?
I've only played Lost Planet 3; the story itself isn't the most interesting thing, but the quality of the storytelling, the acting, and the cinematics is superb. Nice soundtrack too. Jack Wall also made a bunch of space western music for the in game radio.

As a game though, it's a pretty boring TPS with a couple interesting ideas that don't really pan out.

justjim89

I almost didn't even want to like Lucio in Overwatch, but that is a fun ass character to play, especially for a healer class. Just had maybe the best single match performance I've had with my 2nd time playing as him. I can see what Jeff means when he was talking about how having to play a healer isn't a bummer here.

Beats the shit out of the Medic in TF2.

pizzacat

Banned

But can they stop you from enjoying something? Similar thinking as "I don't like popular thing because the fans are blegh"

Really liking Reaper, it's been fun as hell blasting people then phasing out and repositioning when overwhelmed.

Look at the edgelord here! He thinks he's so awesome with his mask and trench coat!

Reapers pretty cool! I wish people didn't make fun of me for picking him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You pick reaper?

Pffft.

I tend to avoid all the assault classes. Mostly because more often than not everyone just picks them and runs around while our objective is getting jacked. Also boring.

Zaph

You pick reaper?

Pffft.

I tend to avoid all the assault classes. Mostly because more often than not everyone just picks them and runs around while our objective is getting jacked. Also boring.

My favourite is when the team has two (or three...) snipers and one of them says "someone go tank"

Antiwhippy

My favourite is when the team has two (or three...) snipers and one of them says "someone go tank"

To be fair I did win a match in a 5 widowmaker + d.va team for 1 round and then 5 tracers for the 2nd.

First time playing either too.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit that Lost Planet 2 demo runs at like 12 frames per second at points.

This isn't as good as PS1 demo discs though.

Salarians

In my experience, people who "main" snipers in FPS' are usually garbage people. And I'm saying this as someone who has spent a quarter of his time playing Overwatch as Hanzo.

justjim89

Man, I saw Steam is having a 75% off MGS series sale and for a moment I hoped they'd finally put out MGS 1-3 on PC, but no dice. Just Rising, Ground Zeroes, and MGSV.

I would love to play MGS3 on PC. It's a shame Konami doesn't make video games anymore.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I saw Steam is having a 75% off MGS series sale and for a moment I hoped they'd finally put out MGS 1-3 on PC, but no dice. Just Rising, Ground Zeroes, and MGSV.

I would love to play MGS3 on PC. It's a shame Konami doesn't make video games anymore.

That'll probably never happen, but at least the PS3/360 versions are good.

Antiwhippy

In my experience, people who "main" snipers in FPS' are usually garbage people. And I'm saying this as someone who has spent a quarter of his time playing Overwatch as Hanzo.

I like how every potg with Hanzo is him looking at a wall and spaming dragon.

And it's almost always on the losing team.

popo

I really enjoyed the discussion on the Beastcast about age and the origin story of GB East.

Last weeks? Didn't really understand where he was coming from. Vinny got out to the way so that they could hire some young blood. GB hired three people in their 30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom