• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you elaborate more on that? What did he say?

He just said that part of the reason they've always had success and had the trust of their subscribers and users is because they've always communicated why they are doing site wide stuff like introducing a premium model or moving back to CBS in depth.

For me, more site updates would definitely be cool if possible and I don't mean providing excel timesheets of their job or anything, I just mean thoughts on the future or what their priorities for the year are etc. (Like how engineering is focused on rebuilding the wiki for example and could potentially be for the entire year) A state of the Giant Bomb nation if you will.

He just said that part of the reason they've always had success and had the trust of their subscribers and users is because they've always communicated why they are doing site wide stuff like introducing a premium model or moving back to CBS in depth.

For me, more site updates would definitely be cool if possible and I don't mean providing excel timesheets of their job or anything, I just mean thoughts on the future or what their priorities for the year are etc. A state of the Giant Bomb nation if you will.

the issue with that is that it might give the wrong expectations to site users. Like 'where is X that you talked about'. And this would just annoy everyone involved.

the issue with that is that it might give the wrong expectations to site users. Like 'where is X that you talked about'. And this would just annoy everyone involved.

Possibly but they've always done well with that kind of stuff in the past, which is why I am keen to see more of it. I am not looking to hold them accountable in any way.

A lot of info can be pieced together from Jeff's tumblr, mixlr or other bits and pieces anyway so it's not like he doesn't want the stuff out there.

Anjin M

Feel like im never in this thread recently. Miss anythang guud?

We've been talking about Greg Miller a lot today. It's weird.

Possibly but they've always done well with that kind of stuff in the past, which is why I am keen to see more of it. I am not looking to hold them accountable in any way.

A lot of info can be pieced together from Jeff's tumblr, mixlr or other bits and pieces anyway so it's not like he doesn't want the stuff out there.

People still bring up Blight Club in this thread. The fewer expectations they set, the better for all involved.

large.jpg

GB cameo confirmed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As much as I do enjoy Overwatch, remembering TF2 does make me realize just how 'closed' Overwatch feels. It's not very variable. It is what it is and that's about it. For example, I've done offensive Tobjorn, but it doesn't work near as well as offensive Engi. Throwing armor around isn't really as fun as random dispensers to get on top of stuff or hiding away little nooks in the larger maps of TF2.

The lack of user run servers, custom sprays, dumb mods and stuff like that does kind of suck. To the point that I think if Valve wanted to beat Blizzard based on what Overwatch's long term success is, they kind of could just by making a TF3.

Basically I think TF2 is ultimately a more fun game to relax with and just goof around and Overwatch is better for jumping into but it kind of feels like something you have to be 100% serious about if you're going to play a game.

Cause yeah, some custom map support would really help with the lack of maps/modes in Overwatch right now

derFeef

As much as I do enjoy Overwatch, remembering TF2 does make me realize just how 'closed' Overwatch feels. It's not very variable. It is what it is and that's about it. For example, I've done offensive Tobjorn, but it doesn't work near as well as offensive Engi. Throwing armor around isn't really as fun as random dispensers to get on top of stuff or hiding away little nooks in the larger maps of TF2.

The lack of user run servers, custom sprays, dumb mods and stuff like that does kind of suck. To the point that I think if Valve wanted to beat Blizzard based on what Overwatch's long term success is, they kind of could just by making a TF3.

Basically I think TF2 is ultimately a more fun game to relax with and just goof around and Overwatch is better for jumping into but it kind of feels like something you have to be 100% serious about if you're going to play a game.

I agree. Also the modes in TF2 feel much more diverse and you can actually feel how it progresses and you push the objective. In overwatch everything is flat and unenjoyable.

Jintor

What it feels to me is they separated out the roles you could play p/class into different explicit characters (obvs adding new ones and other mechanics etc). Sniper is both Widowmaker and Hanzo, Scout is Tracer and Genji, etc. The wildly different movement mechanics between characters is also an interesting choice, as is the primary weapon restriction with most characters just having the one - felt so alien when I started playing, but now I don't mind in the slightest.

I kinda wish TF2 had more movement options.

I agree. Also the modes in TF2 feel much more diverse and you can actually feel how it progresses and you push the objective. In overwatch everything is flat and unenjoyable.

I wouldn't say it's unenjoyable, but so far apart from the diversity of characters and the movement I don't think OW has really hit that organised joy I could get from a good TF2 push or successful down to the wire defence. On the other hand, I don't have a mic or any blizzard friends right now, so maybe that's it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Overwatch's map design to me is like the FPS version of 'No items, Final Destination only.' I think that game was really made to have the eSports market, and I think that really hurts the fun factor of it once the newness wears off.

What it feels to me is they separated out the roles you could play p/class into different explicit characters (obvs adding new ones and other mechanics etc). Sniper is both Widowmaker and Hanzo, Scout is Tracer and Genji, etc. The wildly different movement mechanics between characters is also an interesting choice, as is the primary weapon restriction with most characters just having the one - felt so alien when I started playing, but now I don't mind in the slightest.

I kinda wish TF2 had more movement options.

I wouldn't say it's unenjoyable, but so far apart from the diversity of characters and the movement I don't think OW has really hit that organised joy I could get from a good TF2 push or successful down to the wire defence. On the other hand, I don't have a mic or any blizzard friends right now, so maybe that's it.

On the other hand, Tracer feels SO slow compared to Scout. And Farrah's flying being a button you click on a cooldown is so, so lame. Complete opposite of Soldier rocket jumping. Similarly with Junkrat's jump being on a cooldown.

But alternatively, Winston's a lot more fun to move around as than Heavy.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know if I agree about TF2 being more casual. I jumped into it pretty late, and while I did enjoy my time there I felt like I had to be super hardcore to not feel like a detriment. Like, stuff like the spy seemed super fun to me but the entry barrier was high for someone coming in late.

Overwatch feels super casual in a way to me. Like the onboarding process feels really... intuitive?

derFeef

I don't think it's that. I had plenty of down to the wire moments in TF2 and I played that game mostly with randoms - I think the balancing there is just better. Goddamn Valve why did you gave up on that game. 450hours of joy.

Jintor

I don't know if I agree about TF2 being more casual. I jumped into it pretty late, and while I did enjoy my time there I felt like I had to be super hardcore to not feel like a detriment. Like, stuff like the spy seemed super fun to me but the entry barrier was high for someone coming in late.

Overwatch feels super casual in a way to me. Like the onboarding process feels really... intuitive?

I do agree, but we are still in the feeling out phase. Like by latter day TF2 if you were engie and you didn't know the optimal build spots for turrets you were going to - if not get yelled at, at least be ineffective. Whereas a engie in OW can get away with not knowing anything because nobody knows shit yet and also not every team needs an engie in the same way it was basically mandatory in TF2.

I don't mind Farah's rocket jump too much, it's a different model to the Sollie imho because of the combination with hover.

Tracer's move speed is so much slower than a scout and her blink isn't nearly as versatile as double jump, but the rewind mechanic is so damn useful and fun and her ultimate can actually clear a field, something which scout always had trouble doing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah at some point I spent most of my time as medic because it's hard to not be useful as him.

That's why I like D.va. I get to fly all over the goddamn map!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
also, if they're going to make Tobjorn's sentry as fucking weak defensively as it is. Thing goes down in seconds, then they need to make it not take forever to upgrade the stupid thing. It's nearly Engineer upgrade time but without the godly damage and survivability of an Engi sentry.

Usually if I'm in the heat of the mix as Tobjorn I drop a level 1 sentry and it's better if I just go after people with my shotgun and let it pick at people. But the picking at 1 and even 2 damage is poop.

Jintor

I want to like D.Va more than I do but I can't get her to work for me properly. Feels like her mech is cardboard-thin and her offensive power feels rubbish even at closer ranges.

/edit the beasting part of lvl 2 or 3 engie sentries was always the knockback. Those things could lock down an area and if you weren't careful even an Uber could be blasted clear into the sky.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So what you're all saying is that Overwatch is top 5 GOTY easily.

I mean, it still most likely is. Think it has a high chance to be GOTY with how Beast and West like it.

And I like the game. There's just stuff about it that I wish they had done better. And my main beef with it is just how closed it feels. I don't play that many online shooters these days, so I'm looking at it from stuff like TF2, UT2004, Battlefiend 2, stuff with really huge mod communities. It really sucks not having that, and I've been able to avoid feeling that for a while.

My favorite TF2 map, for example, is a custom map. CP_Steel. And it's not even some wacky over the top thing. It's just a really well done Valve-esque style map.

Meneses

XCOM twitter says there will be an announcement regarding XCOM2 today, I hope it's about a console version and not just more DLC.

Yesterday our team kind of randomly fell into playing as five Torbjorns and one Lucio. The other team were good sports about it (and then unsuccessfully tried to have an all Junkrat team next round)

demidar

I want to like D.Va more than I do but I can't get her to work for me properly. Feels like her mech is cardboard-thin and her offensive power feels rubbish even at closer ranges.

/edit the beasting part of lvl 2 or 3 engie sentries was always the knockback. Those things could lock down an area and if you weren't careful even an Uber could be blasted clear into the sky.

D.Va IS paper thin. She shouldn't even be a tank with how weak she is, both defensively and offensively. The only good thing she has is her E can completely shut down Bastion.

Yesterday our team kind of randomly fell into playing as five Torbjorns and one Lucio. The other team were good sports about it (and then unsuccessfully tried to have an all Junkrat team next round)

Did you know all Soldier 76 teams are actually really good.

It's like playing COD.

The only thing that concerns me about Lumo is if it goes too hard on the British computer scene stuff. What's there in the QL is fine but I can't expect getting a lot of milage out of the game's brand of humor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And Overwatch launching with TWO snipers and no spy type is some of the dumbest shit imaginable.

There's a reason that class exists in TF, Blizzard.

derFeef

And Overwatch launching with TWO snipers and no spy type is some of the dumbest shit imaginable.

There's a reason that class exists in TF, Blizzard.

Focus group players did not like getting killed by an invisible player. So it got cut. For now.
I made that up, but seems plausible.

also, if they're going to make Tobjorn's sentry as fucking weak defensively as it is. Thing goes down in seconds, then they need to make it not take forever to upgrade the stupid thing. It's nearly Engineer upgrade time but without the godly damage and survivability of an Engi sentry.

Usually if I'm in the heat of the mix as Tobjorn I drop a level 1 sentry and it's better if I just go after people with my shotgun and let it pick at people. But the picking at 1 and even 2 damage is poop.
I love taking out sentries with Mercy's peashooter. Almost as much as I love taking out (bad) Reapers with it.
Fuck, I enjoyed Doom until it crashed, savegame got corrupted and the game is now stuck in developer mode. FUUUUUCK.
I had that happen at the last boss. Cool stuff.

Meneses

Lumo looks neat, it reminded me of my childhood days playing that isometric Batman game on the Spectrum.

Well, trying to play it, I was a bit too young to know what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom