• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stepped away from NMS to play some BF4 and Destiny. It was nice, but damn if I didn't want to finish that new warp drive blueprint I got last night.

NMS has its problems, but it's got its hooks in me. I'm a sucker for a chill grind

of course austin 'fallout 4' walker likes no mans sky

I will say, that while I am enjoying No Man's Sky myself, I am surprised at the current Metacritic score. First off, there are no scores that Metacritic deems "generally unfavorable". Jim Sterling's review came the closest to being one. However, for days the metascore was dominated by reviews deemed "mixed or average", yet today there are just as many "generally favorable reviews" as "mixed or average" (23 each). It's settled currently at a 71 (I thought it'd be lower than that), which, to Metacritic, is a "mixed or average" metascore (it would need to be a 75, to be considered a "generally favorable" score). This is the epitome of a down-the middle game. It's either trash or eh, or it's the best thing ever for most people. For me, it's just that- down the middle. I won't trash the game, nor will I pull for it for game of the year. I'm glad it exists. I'm enjoying it. I can't wait to see how Hello Games supports it and adds to it.

BearPawB

Banned
I already sold back my retail PS4 NMS copy on Amazon.
I don't think it's trash. But it certainly isn't a good game.

Once you realize there is basically the same buildings on every planet the game lost alllllll pull for me.

Why go to infinite planets, that have the same basic stuff on them?

I wish the game had an "explore mode". With no resouces/gas/anything. If I could just freely fly/explore at will see cool biomes I might have stayed with it longer.

As it is, I paid a net $10 for like 6 hours of play time. Which I'm ok with. But no desire to play another second of it

I wonder how close NMS is to Elite Dangerous. From the outside it seems like it should be more accessible because the ease of control and the on foot stuff. But it also seems to have a very narrow game play loop, where in Elite you can be a space trucker, a pirate, an explorer, or align yourself with one of the many factions. It actually has less of a story then NMS but you are able to immerse yourself into it deeper. It honestly took me like 16 hrs for Elite to click because they just throw you out there.

Lunar FC

I really had my doubts going into NMS but fuck has it hooked me. Not since Diablo 2 have I felt myself spending 3-4 hours straight in a game and feeling like the time just flew by.

Today I found probably the coolest planet as far as things to see and do. Spent like 3 hours on it just roaming.

Place was full of crazing animals, including this fucking t-rex with jazz hands.
cEyiJ0F.png

Skyscraper high minerals all over the place.

And this badass new ship of mine.

NMS is so goddamn dull. What good is a procedural generation engine when there are like 5 types of locations for it to generate? Oh look it's the same structure you see on every single planet, I bet I'm going to get a blueprint I already know! You've seen 99% of what that game has to offer in a couple of hours.

Salarians

Having just recently finished a full run of DAI, it wasn't until I read this that I fully comprehended exactly how fucking racist Solas is.

I mean, I can understand why
and given that it looks like DAI is basically the secret story of his rise as the villain it kind of fits
, but holy shit. It was like blinders lifting.
Thankfully you're given the option to punch him in the face.

Gave up after 6 hours. Maybe in 2 years it'll be good, but right now it's trash.

I just can't get excited by what amounts to hitting randomise on a character creator over and over.

Agreed. I reckon I'll probably pick up a PC copy of NMS in a year or so, once the modding community has gotten their grubby mits all over it and turned it into a game with a bit more substance.

Agreed. I reckon I'll probably pick up a PC copy of NMS in a year or so, once the modding community has gotten their grubby mits all over it and turned it into a game with a bit more substance.

at the current rate, that's going to take way less than a year. that datamining thread is neat.

Xater

Maybe I am getting old, but I#ll never buy a game which needs mods to actually be fun.

derFeef

Maybe I am getting old, but I#ll never buy a game which needs mods to actually be fun.

But I heard mods are a total requirement for PC games!
I agree with you, if a "vanilla" game is not very fun, mods probably can not fix this, or if, it is going to take a while until we can play said mod. I am probably alone with this, but I enjoy vanilla STALKER much more than the modded ones everyone recommends.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I enjoy complete more than base, but i still liked base stalker. Complete is so good though. Also significantly less janky.

Sakwoff

I'm glad they are continuing the freelance program with Austin gone. Adds so much to the site. The new article by Gita is really great.

Although I wish they had an easy way (or, you know, ANY way) to find older stuff. Navigation on GB sure is a mess, even worse for non-video content.

NMS is so goddamn dull. What good is a procedural generation engine when there are like 5 types of locations for it to generate? Oh look it's the same structure you see on every single planet, I bet I'm going to get a blueprint I already know! You've seen 99% of what that game has to offer in a couple of hours.

The lack of meaningful progression really hurts it as well. When push comes to shove the only thing that matters is making more ward fuel so the whole game comes down to getting the same 4 components.

To be honest it's pretty shocking how you can't scan planets in space for known and unknown elements or how you can't scan a planet for the location of unknown species. You can't upgrade your mining gear in a meaningful way. Your ship is limited to only 2 weapons that hardly change.

I don't think it's a terrible game; it's just this should have been an early access release in it's current state rather than full retail. Is still better than Grow Home ever was though.

Granted the money you pay for the game is going to (mostly) the wrong people, but still, I don't see any reason to deprive myself of an enjoyable gaming experience just on the principle that it had to be reimagined by the community instead of the original devs. A fun game is a fun game, regardless of how it came to be.

justjim89

I think it'd be cool if Brad or somebody took a look at Enderal. It's really something so far, a lot of polish went into it.

Also new Hitman episode is out!

That cool retro looking game that Jeff played on his solo show last week is 70% off on Steam right now...

ss_c142be60b9be33ae0a2acc495e6ea8680a3bf476.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319480/?snr=1_620_4_1400_45

I am going to pick it up I think.

It's pretty good so far, though I'd recommend maybe bumping it up to hard, as it's been kind of easy on normal. Also, the game refuses to accept my controller remapping for some reason. Probably something to do with the DS4 driver thing.

Xater

I'm glad they are continuing the freelance program with Austin gone. Adds so much to the site. The new article by Gita is really great.

Although I wish they had an easy way (or, you know, ANY way) to find older stuff. Navigation on GB sure is a mess, even worse for non-video content.

Who is in charge of that right now? I don't remember them saying where to send pitches to now that Austin is gone.

I was already hyped for Mafia 3 but Vinny comparing it to Sleeping Dogs is

mama mia that's a spicy meatball

I was already interested in the game. Was interested ever since I got that press demo at Gamescom. I like how it seems to combine systemic content with story content.

Granted the money you pay for the game is going to (mostly) the wrong people, but still, I don't see any reason to deprive myself of an enjoyable gaming experience just on the principle that it had to be reimagined by the community instead of the original devs. A fun game is a fun game, regardless of how it came to be.

But than on top of buying something I don't really enjoy I have to put in the effort to make it enjoyable. Then the question also remains if those mods are actually good enough for me. I have no problems with mods, hell I love them. I use them all the time for my Paradox games, but I enjoy those already in the first place. The mods are then just the icing on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom