• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjin M

Is anyone else weirded out by the number of new video game sites that are being started? Danielle Riendeau got hired by ZAM to turn that into a real site. Rolling Stone starting Glixel. And now Vice?

Don't they know that the YouTube influencers are crushing all before them?

Also, if I were Austin, I would certainly raid Kotaku of any staffers feeling shaky about the future.

Megasoum

Banned
So is there any actual E3 videos worth watching on the site? Other than the live stuff I mean.

There's so many trailer garbage, it's impossible to filter the crap out of the genuine stuff.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else weirded out by the number of new video game sites that are being started? Danielle Riendeau got hired by ZAM to turn that into a real site. Rolling Stone starting Glixel. And now Vice?

Don't they know that the YouTube influencers are crushing all before them?

Also, if I were Austin, I would certainly raid Kotaku of any staffers feeling shaky about the future.
It's definitely no coincidence. Maybe they all saw the lack of more polished stuff in that space and came to the same conclusion.

Here's some insight from the Glixel creator: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/23/b...ch-glixel-website-as-lifeline-for-gamers.html

And here's a nice video VICE made that might be a pointer to where they're heading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUT5SBZkVys

Not exactly what youtubers are offering.

Jeffrey

has there been any interviews and other not night stuff out yet besides the zelda impression?

I just remember there won't be any harmonix/disney infinity RAW interview videos this year :(

So is there any actualy videos from E3 worth watching on the site? Other than the live stuff I mean.

There's so many trailer garbage, it's impossible to filter the crap out of the genuine stuff.

Several of the Zelda demo videos are fun to watch due to the randomness (as Vinny would say, emergent). Nier 2, Deus Ex MD,Gravity Rush 2, STRAFE, Recore, Mafia 3, Dead Rising 3, and a handful of other games have gameplay out there if you're interested in those games.

has there been any interviews and other not night stuff out yet besides the zelda impression?

I just remember there won't be any harmonix/disney infinity RAW interview videos this year :(
Doesn't seem like it, although they mentioned two nights ago they shot some stuff at the E3 live thing.

Megasoum

Banned
Several of the Zelda demo videos are fun to watch due to the randomness (as Vinny would say, emergent). Nier 2, Deus Ex MD,Gravity Rush 2, STRAFE, Recore, Mafia 3, Dead Rising 3, and a handful of other games have gameplay out there if you're interested in those games.

Sory I meant specifically GB stuff like interviews or walkarounds or stuff like that.

Jeffrey

The last segment from yesterday is really something else, that autocorrect story had me in fits of laughter.

The last few hours of yesterday was really something emotionally. It's the reason why I love giantbomb and their e3 night shows.

It's not about video games. It's about being real.

Congrats Austin on the super sweet gig. I'm just hoping for one thing now, Crusader Kings for the farewell stream, it's gotta happen. Man, the next week or so is going to be bittersweet. Also, rip dan.

ArjanN

Definitely. Like I said in another thread I would love if he/she had that taste but was also more of a console gamer since he, like the majority of the site, was so PC focused.

Gonna miss you Austin :/

?

I wouldn't call most of them very PC focused.

Can Rorie please confirm:
O9UnACO.jpg

Strax

I wonder if the hiring process will be like the last 2 times or just Jeff writing on the site "This is out new guy"

Myggen

I wonder if the hiring process will be like the last 2 times or just Jeff writing on the site "This is out new guy"

Wasn't the last hiring process that but with it being announced on the Beastcast? That was as low key as you can get a process like that.

Wasn't the last hiring process that but with it being announced on the Beastcast? That was as low key as you can get a process like that.
Pretty much. It was obvious they were looking for someone but they weren't advertising it. I suspect the same will happen here.

I hope that Vice joint has a podcast. I know it's Vice but I hope it isn't 100% deathly serious. A mixture of humor and the Raw Shit would be quite nice.

Bummed to see Austin go. I always picture Giant bomb as the end goal for videogame enthusiasts (which I know is only wishful thinking), so it always comes as a shock when anyone leaves it.

He's gotten himself a top position at an outlet, which is super rare now because 1. there aren't that many big outlets anymore and 2. people at the top usually don't leave. IIRC, Jeff Green talked about this when he switched to development. He was Editir-in-Chief of GFW when it closed. EIC openings are few and far between. So he had to find something else.

Austin's been given a unicorn of an opportunity, and, even though I'm sure he loves working at GB, he's taking it because it might not happen again.

Hopefully it doesn't take 5 months like last time. I k ow they take a lot of time to make sure that the person will fit in , but if they could find someone in say 3 months, that would be great

He's gotten himself a top position at an outlet, which is super rare now because 1. there aren't that many big outlets anymore and 2. people at the top usually don't leave. IIRC, Jeff Green talked about this when he switched to development. He was Editir-in-Chief of GFW when it closed. EIC openings are few and far between. So he had to find something else.

Austin's been given a unicorn of an opportunity, and, even though I'm sure he loves working at GB, he's taking it because it might not happen again.

Lang and Johnny V discussed Johnny's similar problem. There aren't many positions at the level of Johnny's soon-to-be-former gig, and most of them go to people come rise from within the organization. At some point, Johnny might need to make his own thing or leave for something outside the industry.

I hope since his time at Giant Bomb had to have had some significant impact on the choice, that the site is also going to have significant video content, insightful but also humorous stuff.

Just realized that it might not be so bad content-wise over at East this time since the cross-coast system seems to work pretty well. It'd be fairly easy for them to bring one of the west coast guys for QLs if they need a 3rd man. They can also just buy one of those ipad robots and have Dan or someone become full East coast until they get a new hire. Dan's body will rest in a closet while he's in his robot form across the country.

I hope since his time at Giant Bomb had to have had some significant impact on the choice, that the site is also going to have significant video content, insightful but also humorous stuff.
I would say that would be a guarantee if it wasn't for the Vice association. I don't know how the sites under their banner work though, my only exposure is their flagship.

Lang and Johnny V discussed Johnny's similar problem. There aren't many positions at the level of Johnny's soon-to-be-former gig, and most of them go to people come rise from within the organization. At some point, Johnny might need to make his own thing or leave for something outside the industry.

Which is a sad fucking thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom