• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of bad videogames, I played an hour and a half of Quantum Break on PC today.
I refunded it.
Yeah, it should probably be part of "most disappointing game" this year. That game looked so good at some point! And hopes were high because it had the "Alan Wake" stamp on it.

repeater

The Sonic QL is still available on YT. Sega's legal department sure is slacking.
It's run by the same person who's responsible for Sonic's official Twitter, they'll get around to it sooner or later.

Yeah, it should probably be part of "most disappointing game" this year. That game looked so good at some point! And hopes were high because it had the "Alan Wake" stamp on it.
Hot scoop:
Jjl6Er6.jpg

oti

Banned

The shooting and the time mechanics are cool as hell. And better than DOOM.

TraBuch

Banned
Not while Street Fighter V with the missing launch features that Jeff would play one time and never touch again is around.

The hatred he has for the game is still weird to me.

BearPawB

Banned
Not while Street Fighter V with the missing launch features that Jeff would play one time and never touch again is around.

Street Fighter V is easily my most disappointing game of the year.
I wanted nothing more than to really get into a fighting game.

But the game was anemic at launch, and in many ways still is

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

The last update was actually really good, too. It added battle damage/removable parts to costumes, stage animations/transitions, Vs CPU, Urien (most well liked DLC character so far) and Daily Challenges to get Fight Money in an actually enjoyable way. But it also added that ridiculous Rootkit and that's the only thing that people talked about. (Probably rightfully so)

If you really wanted to get into a fighting game, then it had all you needed. Vs mode, online ranked, casual and lobbies and training mode. What it lacked was single player content.

BearPawB

Banned
The last update was actually really good, too. It added battle damage/removable parts to costumes, stage animations/transitions, Vs CPU, Urien (most well liked DLC character so far) and Daily Challenges to get Fight Money in an actually enjoyable way. But it also added that ridiculous Rootkit and that's the only thing that made the news.

If you really wanted to get into a fighting game, then it had all you needed. Vs mode, online ranked, casual and lobbies and training mode. What it lacked was single player content.

games don't tend to get a lot of good will points for adding in basic features months and months after launch

not true at all
I'm bad at them. Online was just practice getting my ass kicked. Training mode is awful compared to a lot of other fighting games.

Good single player would have gone a long way to getting me to do more of those other modes.

The game had nothing for casual players. Or for casual players that wanted to try and take the game more seriously.

Also, lobbies didn't work for a long time after launch. and they were bad fucking lobbies

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
not true at all
I'm bad at them. Online was just practice getting my ass kicked. Training mode is awful compared to a lot of other fighting games.

Good single player would have gone a long way to getting me to do more of those other modes.
You don't get better playing these terrible CPU opponents. You need to get your ass kicked to learn. And the training mode is actually pretty damn good. What's it lacking?

oti

Banned

Agreed. I also hate how Brad tells Jason all the time that he's somewhat of apologist when it comes to SFV. BRAD! Also, the game is amazing.

You're wrong. If you really want to get into a fighting game you've got to watch online videos anyway. It's just like a MOBA in that way.

BearPawB

Banned
You don't get better playing these terrible CPU opponents. You need to get your ass kicked to learn. And the training mode is actually pretty damn good. What's it lacking?

anything involving actual...get this...training.

You're wrong. If you really want to get into a fighting game you've got to watch online videos anyway. It's just like a MOBA in that way.

I didn't want to go to evo. I wanted a fighting game i played more than a few minutes.

Dota has some pretty good tutorials.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
anything involving actual...get this...training.
It has everything you need to do that. You can set up every character as your opponent, dummies, CPU, wake-up moves, block recovery moves, high/low blocks, counter-hits. And all of that to random and cycles of preset recordings you can enter yourself.
It might be the best training mode any SF ever had.

BearPawB

Banned
It has everything you need to do that. You can set up every character as your opponent, dummies, CPU, wake-up moves, block recovery moves, high/low blocks, counter-hits. And all of that to random and cycles of preset recordings.
It might be the best training mode any SF ever had.

Yep, you named so many great things that are easy for new people to get into and figure out how to use!

I'm sure the training mode is great for esports people.
For the common man it is trash

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The Arc Systems games that I have played all had much more elaborate training modes that actually teach you combos/when you want to use certain moves.
You're thinking of tutorials, I guess. Never seen it called training mode in a Arc Systems game, but I could be wrong. Street Fighter V has that stuff under "Demonstrations" and "Trials" (and these new challenges, I guess).
A training mode is a pretty well defined thing in fighting games and it usually allows you to set up all kinds of scenarios that could happen in a game. It's not a lecture.

edit: I would totally agree that it could need better tutorials, though. They haven't made a single step of progress in that area since probably before SF4 even launched.

TraBuch

Banned
Just occurred to me that FF XV was originally supposed to be out three days ago. I dunno, my interest has kinda waned a bit. Probably would've picked it up if it came out a few days ago but I'm not sure I'll have the urge in November.

jaina

Just occurred to me that FF XV was originally supposed to be out three days ago. I dunno, my interest has kinda waned a bit. Probably would've picked it up if it came out a few days ago but I'm not sure I'll have the urge in November.
I saw Kingsglaive today, and while it's not a good movie on it's own it made me more excited for this world and playing FF XV.
Only thing I'm not looking forward to are Noct's party members and Cindee.

ArjanN

How about instead of UPF for the next few weeks, you guys just play Mario Party on Fridays.

I kinda like this idea, because the friday UPF stream sort of feels like they want to go home already half the time, and being tired and annoyed actually makes Mario Party Party funnier
for us,

You're thinking of tutorials, I guess. Never seen it called training mode in a Arc Systems game, but I could be wrong. Street Fighter V has that stuff under "Demonstrations" and "Trials" (and these new challenges, I guess).
A training mode is a pretty well defined thing in fighting games and it usually allows you to set up all kinds of scenarios that could happen in a game. It's not a lecture.

edit: I would totally agree that it could need better tutorials, though. They haven't made a single step of progress in that area since probably before SF4 even launched.

Training room/tutorial stuff in ASW works the same except the tutorial stuff is way more in-depth. The tutorial stuff in SFV is definitely better than SF4, it's still not really all that good, especially for an absolute beginner.

Although at the end of the day, even with better tutorials, youtube videos etc you still have to accept that as a beginner getting good is a long process during which your're going to get your ass kicked a lot. Basically every multiplayer game is like that, I think it's just more clear in fighting games because it's one on one.

Speaking of bad videogames, I played an hour and a half of Quantum Break on PC today.
I refunded it.

It's not like you'd actually know if the game is good or not at that point (outside of maybe perfomance), given that's not even past the tutorial/story setup part.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
You can have more than one autobiography?

#1: Everything before the gaming industry
#2: Age 25 - ???
#3: I'm old and about to die

Actually, I feel weird calling this an autobiography. They're all stories from my life, but they're pretty separate from each other and out of order. It's more like a David Sedaris book, and I'm not sure if those fall under the "autobiography" classification.

Zaph

Actually, I feel weird calling this an autobiography. They're all stories from my life, but they're pretty separate from each other and out of order. It's more like a David Sedaris book, and I'm not sure if those fall under the "autobiography" classification.

The Dan Ryckert Memoirs.

Biggest trilogy since Lord of the Rings.

please call book 3 that exact title

Top Bottom