• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

KingKong

MY prediction is still:

Hottest mess: NMS
Most disappointing: SFV

How is SFV disappointing though? It launched without some features that they've been steadily patching in

NMS has to be the most hyped indie game ever that turned out to be nothing like what they said and the devs have just disappeared

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How is SFV disappointing though? It launched without some features that they've been steadily patching in

NMS has to be the most hyped indie game ever that turned out to be nothing like what they said and the devs have just disappeared

Because jeff was disappointed in it when he was super hyped for it.

You gotta remember that it's Giantbomb's list.

I would say that SFV had a rough start and had some more problems along the way, so I think it deserves the spot.

AcridMeat

Banned
MY prediction is still:

Hottest mess: NMS
Most disappointing: SFV
I think you have to swap those around.

NMS was hyped for years and lost 90% (or whatever it was) of it's users in a month. SFV has been a fucking mess while being a great fighting game, strictly gameplay wise.

Antiwhippy

I think you have to swap those around.

NMS was hyped for years and lost 90% (or whatever it was) of it's users in a month. SFV has been a fucking mess while being a great fighting game, strictly gameplay wise.

You need to look at the sentiments of the GB crew, not the gaming population at large.

Alex still liked NMS despite acknowledging that it was a mess.

Jeff always sounded super let down by SFV.

AcridMeat

Banned
You need to look at the sentiments of the GB crew, not the gaming population at large.

But in SFV's case, months later when you'd expect them to right the ship, released a patch that put a fucking root kit on your PC.

All NMS got is silence post release.

robotrock

Banned
I think they'll just lump it in and use it as VR as a whole. Makes for a stronger argument.

Oculus launch/lack of motion controllers/Palmer Luckey is too big to be lumped along with PSVR's tracking issues.

The Vive is fine and they seem high on it. I don't see what's a mess about it at all. We knew we wouldn't be getting some huge AAA VR experiences this year.

Oculus launch/lack of motion controllers/Palmer Luckey is too big to be lumped along with PSVR's tracking issues.

The Vive is fine and they seem high on it. I don't see what's a mess about it at all. We knew we wouldn't be getting some huge AAA VR experiences this year.

That was my thought; they've said since the beginning that while they're super high on VR and evangelical about it, they didn't expect it to explode out of the gate.

And for several UPF's in a row someone seemed to be playing No Man's Sky (typically Jeff on PC). And when someone did, everyone in the room seemed somewhat engaged and took part in discussing the game. There are many times when someone brings a game and you can feel the energy being drained from the room. That was not the case with NMS. I wonder if they will create an award specifically built around NMS.

hamchan

And for several UPF's in a row someone seemed to be playing No Man's Sky (typically Jeff on PC). And when someone did, everyone in the room seemed somewhat engaged and took part in discussing the game. There are many times when someone brings a game and you can feel the energy being drained from the room. That was not the case with NMS. I wonder if they will create an award specifically built around NMS.

I thought a lot of those segments were them talking about how boring and mediocre the game is.

Malware
Founded by a white supremacist

Malware
Founded by a white supremacist

I'm gonna go with 'people indirectly funding a white supremacist'

Alright, when you put it that way... I see the point. Although I'd amend the award to "Hottest Mess: the Oculus Rift and everything related to it" because the whole saga, from Palmer and his actions, to Facebook & co. standing behind him, has definitely been the hottest of messes; like, How to Tank a Platform 101.

Though I still think SFV needs a special nod somehow for the absolute disaster of a release it has been. The malware thing is so beyond the pale I can barely believe it happened. This has really been a year of You Won't Believe's.

SFV, No Man's Sky and Oculus is totally your top 3 hottest messes.

No Man's Sky winning or not probably depends on what happens when / if Hello Games ever resurfaces or if they take the money and run once the cheque finally comes in.

Mechas, Dragon Ball.

Video games are anime as fuck this week.

PL4v3.gif

Can never figure out whether or not to take the kerosene cantine because it takes a while slot. Fuck. I forgot the lighter takes a whole slot too. The knife sucks in REmake so I should stash that I guess.

Yea Dan never having a baked potato for yet being from the Midwest blew my mind. It really shouldn't in the grand scheme of things but yea...

Who's ready for some upside down castle tomorrow (hopefully)?

repeater

YES. I bought a 3DS XL for this and was not disappointed. It's also filled with content.
My only gripe is that for a game with really short minigames, it sure is filled with a lot of dialog and menus inbetween every game. Often I just wanna whip the 3DS out of sleep mode and play a couple of fun minigames, but the game/fluff ratio is just slightly too low not to make me a little frustrated.

I watched Demo Derby 0 earlier and it was a blast from the past. I got that Pizza Hut demo disc specficially for Metal Gear Solid. In the August 1998 issue of OPM there was a video trailer of MGS1 on the demo disc. I had to have to it. It was cinematic, it had insane voice acting, incredible graphics, fucking NINJAS and it was everything a 12 year old would want. I had to have it. I read/heard/saw somewhere that there would be a MGS demo at Pizza Hut. I ordered a personal pan pizza specifically for this demo.

I played the shit out of this demo, mostly MGS. Seeing it was amazingly fun. Tomb Raider has always sucked shit and I never understood it even when I tried out this demo. It was awful to me.

But that MGS demo. Whew. I've been a fan ever since.

Dan is right when he said MGS was a game changer. I had never seen a game like it in my life and it's one of my main reasons ps1 is my favorite game system to this day. Just incredible memories and so many iconic holy shit moments for me as gaming evolved into 3D.

Also, I didn't recognize Dan's voice in this video *at all*.

Demo Derby may end up my favorite premium content. I subsisted on demo discs just like Dan when I couldn't afford a new game and I'd usually only get one or two new games a year, so demo discs lasted me *a lot* back then.

edit: The MGS trailer in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEHUGmRQGzg 1998 was amazing for games.

Jintor

Jeff preaching for titanfall single player makes me very excited to play something I have zero interest in.

I'll pick it up one day

Antiwhippy

I watched Demo Derby 0 earlier and it was a blast from the past. I got that Pizza Hut demo disc specficially for Metal Gear Solid. In the August 1998 issue of OPM there was a video trailer of MGS1 on the demo disc. I had to have to it. It was cinematic, it had insane voice acting, incredible graphics, fucking NINJAS and it was everything a 12 year old would want. I had to have it. I read/heard/saw somewhere that there would be a MGS demo at Pizza Hut. I ordered a personal pan pizza specifically for this demo.

I played the shit out of this demo, mostly MGS. Seeing it was amazingly fun. Tomb Raider has always sucked shit and I never understood it even when I tried out this demo. It was awful to me.

But that MGS demo. Whew. I've been a fan ever since.

Dan is right when he said MGS was a game changer. I had never seen a game like it in my life and it's one of my main reasons ps1 is my favorite game system to this day. Just incredible memories and so many iconic holy shit moments for me as gaming evolved into 3D.

Also, I didn't recognize Dan's voice in this video *at all*.

Demo Derby may end up my favorite premium content. I subsisted on demo discs just like Dan when I couldn't afford a new game and I'd usually only get one or two new games a year, so demo discs lasted me *a lot* back then.

edit: The MGS trailer in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEHUGmRQGzg 1998 was amazing for games.

Oh, you think demo derby is good from the first video?

Wait till you get to the latter ones (actually starting from the third one iirc)

Then it becomes magical.

Jeff has been wanting to go to Japan for a while right?

I wonder if he will use the opportunity of what essentially is going to be SpaceWorld for the Nintendo Switch to do so.

The premium-est of contents.

My only gripe is that for a game with really short minigames, it sure is filled with a lot of dialog and menus inbetween every game. Often I just wanna whip the 3DS out of sleep mode and play a couple of fun minigames, but the game/fluff ratio is just slightly too low not to make me a little frustrated.

I feel you on that one but I still can't hate it because it's dumb yet very charming that I end up loving it.

Oh, you think demo derby is good from the first video?

Wait till you get to the latter ones (actually starting from the third one iirc)

Then it becomes magical.

Exactly. When Jeff joins, it turns into top tier content because of his history with the industry. The side stories and indepth info are a joy to listen to.

Antiwhippy

The premium-est of contents.

I feel you on that one but I still can't hate it because it's dumb yet very charming then I end up loving it.

Exactly. When Jeff joins, it turns into top tier content because of his history with the industry. The side stories and indepth info are a joy to listen to.

It was top tier even before jeff joined.

Top Bottom