• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Prior to that I was not planning on getting PS4 Pro. After it, I'm still not planning on it. I have a feeling a proper PS4 successor will be announced in 2019* (6 years after PS4, 3 years after PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro). I can wait. Besides, I don't even have a 4KTV.

*I could also see it being 2018.

I have no idea why they have fucked with the progress of the PS4 (which was runaway) to put out a confusing box that no-one seems to want apart from those weirdos that pre-order everything.

I doubt it will flop because it's reasonably priced but this isn't a good look for a company that tried so hard to convince people they were "for the players"?

And then they use all that MS cash to buy EA and Rockstar.

The Age of Sony will be over.
Take your system wars level down a bit.

Honestly its a very odd move on Sony's part. They have a TV division, they are on the bluray board, why their new console wont support 4k blurays is nuts. There is no 4k broadcast TV, and streaming quality isn't anywhere near physical not to mention the bandwidth requirements. So in a year when 4k TVs reach mass market prices the Scorpio(if priced attractively) would be a more attractive purchase.

EgFizkT.gif

Mr. F

Banned
I like how they introduced the Mass Effect gameplay as if anyone had any idea who Ryder is or what he/she is doing or what anything is about. I think the most I've seen of that game has still been from over the shoulders of devs in their talking head e3 bits.

Johndoey

Banned
HDR showcase or not the fact they showed off their upcoming game using a scene with no context and some weird stilted platforming is off.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The entry point for Persona 5 is looking cheaper by the day. Who needs a Pro, when P5 might be the only game I play on the system. I've done dumber things like bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and XCX...

In truth if I planned to get Final Fantasy XV I'd seriously consider the PS4p. In these three years that's the one PS4/XB1 game that's looking held back by the hardware, that's not available on PC.

If you don't have a PS4 at all, the Pro is a no brainer. $100 more dollars for a slight bump in processing and graphical power with 4K uprez futureproofing is worth it.

If you already own a PS4, unless there's a sensational trade-in program, moving to the Pro doesn't seem worth it.

I took the leap and pre-ordered one of these things. Most of the games I have in the pipeline are seeing some sort of upgrade, and I like that. I'm sorta into the idea of having some kind of graphical options on a console. There's something sorta novel about it. With that being said, the meeting didn't do a great job and explaining the thing. The real meat and potatoes of the information came from the interviews afterward. The uninformed consumer are going to expect better performance and graphics, and that's what they're going to get. Maybe not on every single game, but most of the big titles are seeing improvements. That's sorta OK.

I don't have a 4K TV, and honestly, I have been looking at them for the last month or so. I don't have my heart set on one in particular, but the ones that I've liked have had HDR, so that's nice.

I don't think consumers are going to be too confused about it. I think it's going to sell well.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm at the Zelda ranking part of the Podcast... So tired of hearing Windwaker in there... I think that it's one of the most overrated Zelda game.

I'm at the Zelda ranking part of the Podcast... So tired of hearing Windwaker in there... I think that it's one of the most overrated Zelda game.

It has a really phenomenal style to it. It's the best looking Zelda game, including what we've seen of the new one. The dungeons and overall game design is lacking, yes. So the further you get from playing it, the fonder your memories of it will be.

Megasoum

Banned
It has a really phenomenal style to it. It's the best looking Zelda game, including what we've seen of the new one. The dungeons and overall game design is lacking, yes.

Yeah I like the graphics and style.

But yeah.. There's like 3 dungeons total in the game that you keep going back to.

Mr. F

Banned
Even though leaks have gotten out there, I reaaaally want to see what's up with NX officially. The PS4 Pro thing made me realize that as nice as spec bumps are, there's not much to be excited about (to me at least).

I don't even know if I'll get an NX, but seeing whatever left field thing they're up to will be fun. I hope the Direct is sooner than later.

That's a very dumb, reductive way of describing the game considering it offers a whole lot more than the detective gameplay.

Shenmue is flawed by Yu Suzuki's own admission, but fans of the series want it to continue because they played Shenmue II, which is a better paced, more varied, and a better example of the series going forward. Don't be a snob.

I keep saying (and it's a rather bad game) that it was cramming 10 years of innovation into 5(?) years of development and into only one budget. And with Suzuki in charge, it's no surprise it was crazy.

Even though leaks have gotten out there, I reaaaally want to see what's up with NX officially. The PS4 Pro thing made me realize that as nice as spec bumps are, there's not much to be excited about (to me at least).

I don't even know if I'll get an NX, but seeing whatever left field thing they're up to will be fun. I hope the Direct is sooner than later.

I hope they talk about it soon. Most people agree that September is the month, but you can never really predict what Nintendo are going to do. I wouldn't put it past them to not talk about it until November/December.

Miyamoto being in American gives me hope that he was up in Redmond filming some stuff for the NX thing. There are a lot of rumors out there, but they either get debunked or there are a lot of reasons to question the people spreading these rumors. Nintendo have had this thing really close to their chest. It's impressive, actually.

Brashnir

Since Dan reads this thread, and this is going to be more than 140 characters, I'll help him out.

You need to break the word down to its root to understand it.

Sub = a Sandwich.
Si = "yes" in Spanish.
Diz = Short for Dizzy
Ed = A dude.

So if something is subsidized, it means it got dizzy when some guy named Ed offered it a sandwich and it said yes.

Never trust Ed's sandwiches.

Enjoying that GB's coverage of the PSPro launch is as comprehensive as possible.

Dumb talkover from GB West with GB East cameo.

Written thoughts from Jeff giving people some more context.

Full thoughts on Beastcast from the guys on the ground who have seen it running in person.

Strax

Since Dan reads this thread, and this is going to be more than 140 characters, I'll help him out.

You need to break the word down to its root to understand it.

Sub = a Sandwich.
Si = "yes" in Spanish.
Diz = Short for Dizzy
Ed = A dude.

So if something is subsidized, it means it got dizzy when some guy named Ed offered it a sandwich and it said yes.

Never trust Ed's sandwiches.

hahaha

Curufinwe

I have no idea why they have fucked with the progress of the PS4 (which was runaway) to put out a confusing box that no-one seems to want apart from those weirdos that pre-order everything.

I doubt it will flop because it's reasonably priced but this isn't a good look for a company that tried so hard to convince people they were "for the players"?

Enough players want a more powerful console for it to sell very well. It only costs $50 more than the 1 TB Xbox One S.

Curufinwe

The entry point for Persona 5 is looking cheaper by the day. Who needs a Pro, when P5 might be the only game I play on the system. I've done dumber things like bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and XCX...

I also bought a WiiU for those two games, but it only cost $200, so I don't regret it at all.

TMS #FE was a nice bonus game.

Enough players want a more powerful console for it to sell very well. It cost $50 more than the 1 TB Xbox One S.

I can see a lot of people either wanting a handheld (NX) to compliment their existing PS4, or new buyers waiting to see what Xbox have in the pipeline before committing.

If the rumoured specs for Scoprio are true, it might as well be a new generation right at the time where 4K is right on the verge of taking off.

I'm certainly in this boat. I can go a few games without pro mode over the next 12 months before seeing how things lie.

As a current PS4 owner, I kind of feel left behind by Sony but with not enough incentive to buy the new shit they're selling. The reaction so far seems to tie in with that.

Top Bottom