• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Dan not wanting one while preordering the One S is weird. This has real enhancements. Makes no sense to me.
Yeah, just wait until the first big games roll out with real support. This thing is actually a lot more powerful and soon people will understand that you don't need a 4K TV do reap the benefits.

LiK

Dan is moving, getting married, buying a car, buying house. Dude can't just buy a PS4 Pro at a whim now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
First showing of Mass Effect in proper gameplay and it looked like yet another turd pumped out by EA. Time will tell, but everything EA has put out this generation has felt like it was released too early or just designed by the most boring committee of check boxes you could assemble.

First showing of Mass Effect in proper gameplay and it looked like yet another turd pumped out by EA. Time will tell, but everything EA has put out this generation has felt like it was released too early or just designed by the most boring committee of check boxes you could assemble.

I swear they're doing everything they can to make sure nobody is excited for Mass Effect.

Gaming side thread has other sources. Sony said apps only no 4k player.

Editor for Engadget said the same, we'll see.

That's nuts. What the fuck are they thinking? (Sony I mean)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Really not sure what they were thinking with this demo. If that's their showcase then wow...

def sim

https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/status/773616813959745536

T2htWmG.png

There you go.

ah bummer

That box looks so pointless for PS4 users unless you have a 4K TV which is surely not many people.

But if I didn't have a PS4 I would probably buy it over the slim or Xbox slim.

Curufinwe

The next 2 months will be full of people trying to justify what an obvious purchase a Pro is to replace their regular PS4 then 2 months after that, regret.

It'll be rough

I think the rough part for you will be when your wish for other people to be disappointed goes unfulfilled.

I haven't seen that kind of regret here in the past when people have bought revisions of consoles or handhelds just because they were slimmer. This one is actually more powerful and not much more expensive than the new standard version when going from 500 GB to $1TB costs $50.

Jintor

i liked the bits of andromeda where it was a movie but the moving around and 'interacting' with stuff was... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Meneses

The PS4 Pro is definitely not for me at this point - no way I can afford a decent TV to make the best use of it.

The power increase, as of right now, doesn't really seduce me either. Maybe that will change once developers start making Pro stuff much better than the regular.

But if it was my first PS4, i'd be all over the Pro, they're likely gonna see a lot of first adopters going straight to that one.

Imagine if MS took the loss and put Scorpio out at $399. 4k tvs with HDR will be wildly available for sub $1,000 by then. And since the XB1 S has a 4k player one would assume Scorpio would.

Jeff wrote on PS neo http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sony-announces-playstation-4-pro-slim-ps4/1100-5488/

I've fallen in love with an LG TV that supports 4K and HDR, and it runs for around $2500. Assuming next year's CES drags 4K technology slightly closer to the mainstream early next year, 4K TVs could start to approach something resembling affordability, at least for the types of people who occasionally drop that kind of money on a TV. I could see myself going down this route simply due to forward momentum on these technologies, but... I'm probably going to order new PC parts next week, too. I don't know, I think I expected Sony to make a firmer case for why someone would want this upgrade, even if they don't have a fancy professional TV just yet, but it felt like that part of the presentation was missing. Or, you know, maybe you have no business buying a Pro unless you're getting a new TV. At least it ships with 1TB of storage in it?

I'd very much like to see these games running for myself, of course. It's hard to get a feel for how much any of this matters when you aren't seeing it in person.

FStop7

Banned
Who is the PS4P for?

It's inferior to the Xbone S as a 4K media device. Not to mention more expensive.

Its benefits as a 1080P gaming device vs. the PS4 are nebulous. It was just mentioned that multiplayer frame rates will be the same on both systems.

So... what does it do?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Who is the PS4P for?

It's inferior to the Xbone S as a 4K media device. Not to mention more expensive.

Its benefits as a 1080P gaming device vs. the PS4 are nebulous. It was just mentioned that multiplayer frame rates will be the same on both systems.

So... what does it do?
I think they made a big mistake by not outright saying "we let the developers decide what to do with the extra power", because that's what's happening. I'm absolutely sure that most games on PS4p will benefit even on a 1080p TV.

KingKong

Who is the PS4P for?

So... what does it do?

Presumably it runs new games with better graphics at a steady 30fps, something both current consoles are struggling with

Curufinwe

Imagine if MS took the loss and put Scorpio out at $399. 4k tvs with HDR will be wildly available for sub $1,000 by then. And since the XB1 S has a 4k player one would assume Scorpio would.

And then they use all that MS cash to buy EA and Rockstar.

The Age of Sony will be over.

Strax

All this PS4 Pro and Xbox S or whatever its called is pushing me to a PC the moment I they stop making PS4 games. This is just stupid

FStop7

Banned
The specs are up and they match the leaks. There's no way it's doing native 4K rendering. It's got to be upscaling. This doesn't surprise me but it brings me back to... what is the point?

Top Bottom