• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Honestly though, I don't really watch movies so I'm kinda eh on the whole UHD thing.

That's fair but it makes little sense to me to make a self-styled 'professional' 4K skew of your tech aimed at early adopters that doesn't offer 4K media (Netflix 4K is weak). Especially when your main competitor offers it.

Megasoum

Banned
Mark Cerny replied directly to one of my questions on the Playstation dev forums one day around the PS4 launch... Highlight of my week!

I want to Cerny and John Carmack talking to each other on day.

My favourite Mark Cerny moment is a GDC talk in 2012 where he was talking about stuff and he slipped up and said he was working on PlayStation 4 and covered it up with the most totally not smooth cover up by by catching himself 99% percent through saying 4 and going "while working on PlayStation Fou....Three"

Volotaire

would you rather have 4K or 144hz

I was a 1440p high framerate person. However, now that GPU's are nearing 4K 60FPS (perhaps with Volta we will get there), and new technologies are starting to become more mainstream for the monitor market OLED and HDR, I'm leaning towards 4K now for my next monitor (at a target of 60 FPS) in the next few years.

It would have a monster price tag though. Add gysnc in there too.

Johndoey

Banned
I need a Yakuza endurance run eventually. Yakuza is a game about a cool dude being cool and getting into trouble, it's the most Dan game ever made.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh yeah, the P5 + PS4 bundle reminds me that I have the special edition of P5 coming in with neither a PS4 nor the ability to read japanese.

Oh boy, lots of stuff to go through. First of all, great to see Myggen posting again even if it's for a little while!

So, Apple started first today and while I didn't watch it(I don't care about phones) I was happy and surprised to read that they brought up Shigeru Miyamoto on the Apple stage even though it was to announce a shitty one of those runner games. If I were to get a new iPhone I'll probably just get that 6th one because having no headphone jack seems fucking dumb to me, seeing as how I could never get the buds to stick in my ear, having wireless ones sound like a case of having it pop/fall out my ear constantly, no thanks.

Now for the Sony thing, oh boy, kind of a mess all around actually. No good reasons to upgrade or rather they didn't show clearly why I should get an upgraded one(I probably will though because I'm a sucker for new consoles with upgrades). Showing the difference between 4K and 1080P on a compressed stream is laughable, they should have went with modes and shown us live demos within those modes while explaining and showing key differences. It honestly felt like it was a 1 hour ad for their new TVs rather than the console. The one major thing I disliked about all that though was the omission of a 4K bluray drive, are they fucking kidding me? lol. Touting your device to be 4K future proof and not have that sounds asinine. I don't expect a whole lot of people to care about it. I do though since I buy movies and if you want the best quality video/audio wise + bonus features, disks are the way to go. Plus, most physical film media these days comes with many versions packed in(digital, DVD, 3D.etc)

Overall, felt like it was fucking nothing. Only good thing about it was Mark Cerny making me feel all calm as always. Interested to hear Alex's and Vinny's thoughts on it though.

----

gNyDvPF.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
High five

Though I got the ps3 version since i have that

I was thinking about it but got the PS4 version so I don't ruin my first experience by playing a version that I can't understand because I have no self-control.

So essentially I'm shelling out $150 for the artbook and CD set.

Wheeeeee.

Oh boy, lots of stuff to go through. First of all, great to see Myggen posting again even if it's for a little while!

So, Apple started first today and while I didn't watch it(I don't care about phones) I was happy and surprised to read that they brought up Shigeru Miyamoto on the Apple stage even though it was to announce a shitty one of those runner games. If I were to get a new iPhone I'll probably just get that 6th one because having no headphone jack seems fucking dumb to me, seeing as how I could never get the buds to stick in my ear, having wireless ones sound like a case of having it pop/fall out my ear constantly, no thanks.

Now for the Sony thing, oh boy, kind of a mess all around actually. No good reasons to upgrade or rather they didn't show clearly why I should get an upgraded one(I probably will though because I'm a sucker for new consoles with upgrades). Showing the difference between 4K and 1080P on a compressed stream is laughable, they should have went with modes and shown us live demos within those modes while explaining and showing key differences. It honestly felt like it was a 1 hour ad for their new TV's rather than the console. The one major thing I disliked about all that though was the omission of a 4K bluray drive, are they fucking kidding me? lol. Touting your device to be 4K future proof and not have that sounds asinine. I don't expect a whole lot of people to care about it. I do though since I buy movies and if you want the best quality video/audio wise + bonus features, disks are the way to go. Plus, most physical film media these days comes with many versions packed in(digital, DVD, 3D.etc)

Overall, felt like it was fucking nothing. Only good thing about it was Mark Cerny making me feel all calm as always. Interested to hear Alex's and Vinny's thoughts on it though.

----

gNyDvPF.png

I get why they put in a cheap Bluray drive, how else is Sony going to sell the PS4 Pro S?

I get why they put in a cheap Bluray drive, how else is Sony going to sell the PS4 Pro S?

It kind of sucks because the Xbox One S reads 4K blu discs but the Pro doesn't. At the same time, the One S doesn't do what the Pro does when it comes to 4K & 1080P games so it's a shitty situation all around if you're looking for an "all in one system" kind of thing.

It kind of sucks because the Xbox One S reads 4K blu discs but the Pro doesn't. At the same time, the One S doesn't do what the Pro does when it comes to 4K & 1080P games so it's a shitty situation all around if you're looking for an "all in one system" kind of thing.

My PC does what the others don't so a PS4 Pro is alright as a secondary thing for me.

Megasoum

Banned

Now for the Sony thing, oh boy, kind of a mess all around actually. No good reasons to upgrade or rather they didn't show clearly why I should get an upgraded one(I probably will though because I'm a sucker for new consoles with upgrades). Showing the difference between 4K and 1080P on a compressed stream is laughable, they should have went with modes and shown us live demos within those modes while explaining and showing key differences. It honestly felt like it was a 1 hour ad for their new TVs rather than the console. The one major thing I disliked about all that though was the omission of a 4K bluray drive, are they fucking kidding me? lol. Touting your device to be 4K future proof and not have that sounds asinine. I don't expect a whole lot of people to care about it. I do though since I buy movies and if you want the best quality video/audio wise + bonus features, disks are the way to go. Plus, most physical film media these days comes with many versions packed in(digital, DVD, 3D.etc)

----

gNyDvPF.png

Wait... What happened with Mygg?

Lunar FC

Scorpio hero ball?

My PC does what the others don't so a PS4 Pro is alright as a secondary thing for me.

I do have an alright PC(thinking about upgrading next year) but it isn't my main platform of choice. My bro's steam ID is shared with me so when I want to check out "PC only" games(we both buy games that interests us so the library is all over the place)I could do that like Quadrilateral Cowboy was the latest one for example. I could hook the PC up to the TV but I don't have a good place to put a keyboard and mouse so I could game properly so it's pointless.

I will say this though that investing in a PC right now more than ever seems like a far better choice in the long run.

Wait... What happened with Mygg?

Nothing haha, he just hasn't been posting in a while but I noticed him posting a few pages back when I was reading through the thread. Last I know of him being on vacation/work related thing which is why he's less active.

I do have an alright PC(thinking about upgrading next year) but it isn't my main platform of choice. My bro's steam ID is shared with me so when I want to check out "PC only" games I could do that like Quadrilateral Cowboy was the latest one for example. I could hook the PC up to the TV but I don't have a good place to put a keyboard and mouse so I could game properly so it's pointless.

I will say this though that investing in a PC right now more than ever seems like a far better choice in the long run.

Yeah with a good enough PC you can solve just about all your platform based problems. By the way you should look into the Steam controller if you can't use a mouse and keyboard with it plugged into your TV. It's really great and solves that problem for me.

Uh.

Uh.

The Mario Party Party pushed me over the edge.

I bought the annual subscription.

Hit me with what I should do next, fam.

In no order of importance-
MGScanlon
Dans WoW adventure(He did this when he first joined, a good 'get to know him' set of videos)
Mario Party Party(1-5)
Demo Derby
Game Tapes
The Hitman videos
Brad Souls(Forgot the feature name...where he plays through Demons Souls)

I do have an alright PC(thinking about upgrading next year) but it isn't my main platform of choice. My bro's steam ID is shared with me so when I want to check out "PC only" games I could do that like Quadrilateral Cowboy was the latest one for example. I could hook the PC up to the TV but I don't have a good place to put a keyboard and mouse so I could game properly so it's pointless.

Especially with MS (hopefully) throwing their full weight behind the platform. Forza 6 APEX just came out of beta, and it seems like they're doing it right. Halo 5 Forge comes out tomorrow. There's never been a better time to be playing (PC) video games!

Top Bottom