• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

kiguel182

If only Sony had showed games running better on the Pro or better looking besides that slide over on Paragon.

This was a terrible way to show it. Even the New 3DS got a better presentation.

Also, having your new console depend on TVs that won't be affordable for a year plus is something else.

If only Sony had showed games running better on the Pro or better looking besides that slide over on Paragon.

Also, having your new console depend on TVs that won't be affordable for a year plus is something else.

Yeah

"Heres some videos and you have to believe us when we say they're running smoother on the Pro than their current counterparts! Look Shadow of Mordor!"

It was a disaster.

Mr. F

Banned
4K TVs are pretty damn affordable, and even HDR ones aren't too ridiculous.

But yeah next year is a better time to buy.

I don't see myself jumping on anytime soon, personally - which is why the 4K and HDR selling points being the bigger flaunting points for the PS4 Pro and (allegedly) Scorpio/Xbox One S makes me feel I don't really have a dog in this race.

I'm still saving to get a relatively modern TV to replace my old-ass one. #funemployed #canadianprices

So I looked up videos of Shenmue using VGA and compared it to the setup that GB East used and...

f6f7d2ef1e4b8ad52f11f485c5ea1899.png
1036b2907c8a93b7970413e0aa53b54c.png

5ab173346945b5760320dd3b4b45d3f8.png
67b613b8867cf2638bab5216fe0e2f99.png

And yeah, video of Dobuita at night shows that the game is not supposed to be nearly as blindingly dark as they've been getting.

It's pretty much 1000 euros if you want more than 50 inches.
Yeah that's steep. Here you can get a ~55", 4K HDR TV for under $1000. Have been looking at them lately, but I want a 70" and those are quite a bit more.
I don't see myself jumping on anytime soon, personally - which is why the 4K and HDR selling points being the bigger flaunting points for the PS4 Pro and (allegedly) Scorpio/Xbox One S makes me feel I don't really have a dog in this race.

I'm still saving to get a relatively modern TV to replace my old-ass one. #funemployed #canadianprices
I was contemplating getting a PS4 Pro to play the exclusives I've missed out on and to have a great bluray player, but the lack of a 4K drive is a deal breaker for me.

def sim

Yeah, GB streams and videos seem to have a color space issue. It's been like that for some time.

Today, you could see it clearly when comparing the PS4 Pro conference to their restream.

Yeah that's steep. Here you can get a ~55", 4K HDR TV for under $1000. Have been looking at them lately, but I want a 70" and those are quite a bit more.

I was contemplating getting a PS4 Pro to play the exclusives I've missed out on and to have a great bluray player, but the lack of a 4K drive is a deal breaker for me.

Anything over $500 isn't exactly affordable for most people. Or at least it isn't for me.

Anything over $500 isn't exactly affordable for most people. Or at least it isn't for me.

Most ~55" 1080p TVs aren't even under $500, though. 4K won't be there for 3 years let alone next year. Unless you're importing some nondescript Korean panel or something (which I've done, and it can actually work out great).

FStop7

Banned
Dan does have a point in there. Payment plans on smartphones are asinine. Don't do that. Buy what you can afford or don't buy it at all. And no, don't bring up car loans or mortgages.

Dan does have a point in there. Payment plans on smartphones are asinine. Don't do that. Buy what you can afford or don't buy it at all. And no, don't bring up car loans or mortgages.

What if you can afford the monthly outgoing with no stretch but can't afford the bulk purchase?

Credit is good as long as you're sensible with it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't sound like he understands he even did that, though

What if you can afford the monthly outgoing with no stretch but can't afford the bulk purchase?

Credit is good as long as you're sensible with it.
So you're living on the edge every month? That's stupid, too.

Phone payment plans are p much designed to confuse people into paying more than they think they are so I can't throw shade on Dan here, for once

Most ~55" 1080p TVs aren't even under $500, though. 4K won't be there for 3 years let alone next year. Unless you're importing some nondescript Korean panel or something (which I've done, and it can actually work out great).

My 1080p TV was about $400 and suits me just fine. It's Smart and 3D as well, but I rarely use those features. I think it's more like 40", which I find pretty big. Can you even notice much of a difference between resolutions at that size, though?

Doesn't sound like he understands he even did that, though

So you're living on the edge every month? That's stupid, too.

I'm living on the edge because I can't afford to drop £700 when a new iPhone comes out?

No, and I'd rather treat it as a utility in conjunction with my tariff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends on where you live though isn't it? In australia for example with my plan I would have paid pretty much the same price for my phone with the plan I have.

My 1080p TV was about $400 and suits me just fine. It's Smart and 3D as well, but I rarely use those features. I think it's more like 40", which I find pretty big. Can you even notice much of a difference between resolutions at that size, though?

Yeah newer models really ramp up in price once you're over 50", although I'm sure I could find a dozen 1080p TVs on Amazon for under $500 now that I think about it. Some people would probably tell you the difference is negligible, but I think even at 40" 4K looks so fucking good. It's more than just pixels per inch though, decent 4K panels look so vibrant compared to 1080p.

I've got to stop talking about this, I've only just convinced myself to wait until next year to buy a TV.

Antiwhippy

Anyway, looks like I only have to sit on my PSVR for 1 month before I can use it haha.

Though realistically I'll probably receive it later because I didn't preorder the first shipment.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm living on the edge because I can't afford to drop £700 when a new iPhone comes out?

No, and I'd rather treat it as a utility in conjunction with my tariff.
Well, yes. If you can afford the more expensive plan every month but wouldn't have enough savings to get one with a cheaper plan, you're doing something wrong.

My probably-not-helpful cell phone pro tip:

Use Project Fi, they'll finance your phone for 2 years at 0%. No contract, $25 unlimited text/minutes, pay only for what data you use. It's not great for heavy data users though.

Antiwhippy

For example, I'm paying $100 a month for 24 months on a plan with my nexus 6P, but the plan by itself would cost me $70 and the handset outright would have costs me $850 at the time I bought it. So it works out.

Well, yes. If you can afford the more expensive plan every month but wouldn't have enough savings to get one with a cheaper plan, you're doing something wrong.

There isn't even any interest on the credit. But ok!

I'm glad companies offer the option for us so I can use my savings for things that aren't luxuries.

Yeah newer models really ramp up in price once you're over 50", although I'm sure I could find a dozen 1080p TVs on Amazon for under $500 now that I think about it. Some people would probably tell you the difference is negligible, but I think even at 40" 4K looks so fucking good. It's more than just pixels per inch though, decent 4K panels look so vibrant compared to 1080p.

I've got to stop talking about this, I've only just convinced myself to wait until next year to buy a TV.

Well I'll look into that maybe in 2 or 3 years. I still want to update my computer and get a VR set first, which I won't be able to do anytime soon.

Oh thank goodness they talked over the Playstation thing. I almost considered watching the raw feed. My backalog is almost 4.5 hours right now of just video alone.

Curufinwe

I can see a lot of people either wanting a handheld (NX) to compliment their existing PS4, or new buyers waiting to see what Xbox have in the pipeline before committing.

If the rumoured specs for Scoprio are true, it might as well be a new generation right at the time where 4K is right on the verge of taking off.

I'm certainly in this boat. I can go a few games without pro mode over the next 12 months before seeing how things lie.

As a current PS4 owner, I kind of feel left behind by Sony but with not enough incentive to buy the new shit they're selling. The reaction so far seems to tie in with that.

Classic false consensus thinking. You assume your personal views are representative of the market when that's clearly not the case. PS4 Pro will sell extremely well at the $399 price point.

Curufinwe

It doesn't. Look at the modes RoTR will have on Neo.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275235

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game running at >45 FPS targeting 60

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

What a bemusing, ill-considered conference that was.

Setting everything else aside... they're very reluctant to spend much time on that big VR platform they're launching next month, aren't they? It was touched on with Farpoint, but I was expecting it to be a focus alongside the Pro as a new platform, and it wasn't given as much prominence or time as COD was.

Modern commercial VR looks to have fallen apart on the launchpad this year, and I was hopeful that Sony would kick the technology into the mainstream, but this... I dunno, lack of confidence? It's not giving me positive vibes.

Classic false consensus thinking. You assume your personal views are representative of the market when that's clearly not the case. PS4 Pro will sell extremely well at the $399 price point.

I'm not claiming anything is representative of the market, I'm just going off the reaction I've seen so far.

You seem to have a crystal ball however.

Are you trying to claim the reaction has been positive to this?

Curufinwe

I'm not claiming anything is representative of the market, I'm just going off the reaction I've seen so far.

You seem to have a crystal ball however.

Are you trying to claim the reaction has been positive to this?

A more powerful PS4 at only $399 is going to be extremely popular this holiday. If you can't see the reality of that past the gnashing of teeth on GAF, I feel bad for you.

Antiwhippy

I mean I think it's underwhelming but I'm gonna get a PS4 anyway so having something better at the same price is nice.

hamchan

What a bemusing, ill-considered conference that was.

Setting everything else aside... they're very reluctant to spend much time on that big VR platform they're launching next month, aren't they? It was touched on with Farpoint, but I was expecting it to be a focus alongside the Pro as a new platform, and it wasn't given as much prominence or time as COD was.

Modern commercial VR looks to have fallen apart on the launchpad this year, and I was hopeful that Sony would kick the technology into the mainstream, but this... I dunno, lack of confidence? It's not giving me positive vibes.

It is pretty weird that they're talking so little about something coming out so soon. Should probably wait on a purchase just in case VR becomes just another Sony accessory thrown to the side immediately.

A more powerful PS4 at only $399 is going to be extremely popular this holiday. If you can't see the reality of that past the gnashing of teeth on GAF, I feel bad for you.

Just because it sells well (I said it wouldn't flop earlier in the thread), who's to say a PS4 slim model with 4k upscaling, HDR and UHD blu-ray support wouldn't have sold better?

Two products seems like a misstep for Sony and back to their old ways, prior to their 'for the players' schtick.

Regardless of all that, the way they presented it was beyond awful.

No need to feel bad buddy!

Top Bottom