• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein Bear

In terms of gameplay, my favourite MGS is 2.

I just much prefer the faster, more arcadey style of gameplay. You always knew exactly how the enemies would react to your actions in any given situation, and could plan your run accordingly.

As the games dropped the vision cones and got more open, they became these more random, sandboxey experiences. Which were still cool and all, but weren't really as fun. Too much 'I'd better crawl really slowly in case there's guards that I can't see'.

Those VR missions in MGS2 are still the pinnacle of the series' gameplay to me.

I got reminded that one of the best parts of MGSV is not experienced by many due to it being a side thing but it's incredibly well done.

The whole thing with Paz and Venom.

That's the fun thing about metal gear. There's a legitimate argument for any of them being the best of the series. Even 4 with all of its fan service, wacky story, and over the top closures to all the loose plot holes is amazing in it's own way.

I can't believe I still haven't played MGS5

really?

it is grade a stupid in my estimation

In hindsight it works better once you know who Venom is and all. But it is done very well especially if you listen to the tapes you get after every visit which everything in the end turns out to be a figment of his imagination because of his own guilt. Comparing that with the rest of what the game does when it comes to story and it's easy to see why it's damn good.

Jintor

In hindsight it works better once you know who Venom is and all. But it is done very well especially if you listen to the tapes you get after every visit which everything in the end turns out to be a figment of his imagination because of his own guilt. Comparing that with the rest of what the game does when it comes to story and it's easy to see why it's damn good.

it's incredibly trite imho. I mean Paz's voice acting is great actually, I quite like that, but the way it's structured is garbage (literally bring paz a tape, she does an animation about her head hurting, leave, listen to new unlock, rinse repeat) and
the fact that it's just Venom beating himself up about a girl he didn't really have any connection to in the first place
just emphasises to me how utterly disappointed I was overall with MGSV.

I mean I literally have like I think 100+ hours in MGSV, which is like 4 times the amount of time I've spent in any other MGS game, and the only thing I really took away from it was a feeling like I wasted my time

Jintor

100+ hours is a lot to waste.

you're telling me

i think the main thing i ended up being super disappointed in with MGSV (aside from the god awful story) was how little the world simulation stuff ended up being. Like nothing really seemed to go beyond the closest base.

it's incredibly trite imho. I mean Paz's voice acting is great actually, I quite like that, but the way it's structured is garbage (literally bring paz a tape, she does an animation about her head hurting, leave, listen to new unlock, rinse repeat) and
the fact that it's just Venom beating himself up about a girl he didn't really have any connection to in the first place
just emphasises to me how utterly disappointed I was overall with MGSV.

I mean I literally have like I think 100+ hours in MGSV, which is like 4 times the amount of time I've spent in any other MGS game, and the only thing I really took away from it was a feeling like I wasted my time

Well, he is a medic and it was ultimately his feeling of guilt for not saving her and for not finding the last bomb. He did save BB though. I just found it very interesting and it gave me something to think about. Him being guilty and imagining all that says alot about Venom as a character.
Of course it's not really a high bar when I say "this thing is great" compared to the other things in the game when it comes to the story haha.

Jintor

if konami still existed i personally would hold the opinion that if kojima went
psych it was a gaiden game the whole time! here's the REAL MGSV
i would laugh my ass off. like, holy shit, would that be some hella good performance art

or if we had been playing as solidus the whole time, i'd have liked that

Every MGS game is the best MGS game.

Except PW, fuck that shit

663139-tehthumb.png

robotrock

Banned
if konami still existed i personally would hold the opinion that if kojima went
psych it was a gaiden game the whole time! here's the REAL MGSV
i would laugh my ass off. like, holy shit, would that be some hella good performance art

or if we had been playing as solidus the whole time, i'd have liked that

Fully believe that he used V for this because he was reserving 5 for the next one

FStop7

Banned
Watch Dogs 2 is A-OK. The humor is on point enough to kind of nullify the shootbang stuff, where the grim tone of the first game made it worse.

Mainline MGS ranking is my jam.

3>2>1>5> garbage game.

It's hard to rank 1 and 5 , completely different experiences. But I'm very sure they're better than 4!

klonere

Banned
Actual true and good MGS rankings (mainline only)

2 > 3 > 1 > 5 = 4

Side stuff/MGO ranking

MGO2 (fight me) > Ghost Babel (FIGHT ME) > PO > MGO > Acid > > > > > PW

Never played Acid 2, can't comment.

repeater

It's OK not to like MGS4. I disagree, but I can see that there are some reasonable arguments that could be made. If you arrive at that claim because you think MGS4 is too silly for Metal Gear, though, I have to question your grasp on the series as a whole.

bomma_man

V > act 1 and act 2 of 4 > the hour or two of mgs 2 I played > the bit of act 3 of 4 I got through before dropping it.

MGSV is one of my favourite games of all time btw.

Johndoey

Banned
The only thing I like about MGSV is Skull Face, and that's definitely isn't because he's a good villain because he isn't, but the Voice Actor is goddamn fantastic. The few emotional beats the game goes for fail horribly like (Spoilers duh)
The mission where you exterminate your soldiers, clearly supposed to be emotional but just these are my faceless goons doesn't make them anything more than faceless goons
or the
Paz mission which flopped because A. I don't give two fucks about Paz and B. I don't give two fucks about Venom's emotional reactions
. And previously mentioned by me practically everywhere but fuck everything about Quiet and what makes Quiet even worse is the fact she's really the only female character in the game and she's effectively treated as Venom's pet.

And MGS4 was Kojima feeling himself and going off the goddamn cliff. Everything going on with Raiden in that game is dumb as hell, the moronic "plan" by Rose and Campbell might be one of the worst things in the entire series, their plan makes no sense on any level. And the game gets to a new height of pointless withholding important information from Snake.
The Big Mama shit is bad, reconstructed Big Boss is even worse. The B&B corps are fetishistic. And Deus Ex Machina Big Boss ending is weak as fuck, it gives Snake the worst possible out and allows Big Boss a measure of redemption he doesn't deserve. I find the hug between them forced or not infuriating

And The Boss isn't a particularly interesting character as she's presented in MGS3 proper.

TGMIII

The biggest problem with MGSV is that they gave it away in trailers well over 2 years before the game even came out. That and the fact that a 28 year old series has concluded with a shit ton of loose ends and even some that were answered were done by retconning.

MGS2 is still the greatest.

Johndoey

Banned
Revengence is actually regressive for Raiden as a character so fuck Revengence.
Sam is dope though. Game should've been about Sam. Sundowner is a major let down after Monsoon is so god-like.
--
MGS1 is the best game in the series for my money. But my favorite is MGS3.

Revengence is actually regressive for Raiden as a character so fuck Revengence.
Sam is dope though. Game should've been about Sam. Sundowner is a major let down after Monsoon is so god-like.

Raiden no longer being a whiny little punk seemed like a pretty good step forward for him.

The DLC for Sam was pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom