• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think "creator of thing was secretly funding a white supremacist/harassment group" might be just a liiiittle bit worse than "game wasn't as good as it could have been and/or didn't have things creator said it would have".

I should add that I'm not trying to give NMS (or SFV and etc.) any slack here, in any other year it'd take it, but the Oculus mess is... yeah...

I doubt that's gonna be in one of the categories.

Salarians

I doubt that's gonna be in one of the categories.
Yeah. Poking fun at EA's tone deaf ~just WW1 things~ and onesies is one thing, but this is actual serious, intentional hate. It's tough. You don't want to ignore or "whitewash" it away but bringing up something very real and disgusting during what is generally a fun time just seems like a bad idea. :/

Kinda late but SF V is going to get Most Disappointing or Hottest Mess but not for inexplicable netcode shortcomings, goddamn rootkit, pr disasters, and glitchy paid costumes but its the things that were never promised that will land it the award.

Johndoey

Banned
I think "creator of thing was secretly funding a white supremacist/harassment group" might be just a liiiittle bit worse than "game wasn't as good as it could have been and/or didn't have things creator said it would have".

I should add that I'm not trying to give NMS (or SFV and etc.) any slack here, in any other year it'd take it, but the Oculus mess is... yeah...
Yeah the Luckey situation is some serious hate mongering. It's like real world rise of fascism serious.

Backed. I don't own a VR system but when I do in the future, this is something I'd like to see more of.

Danny for trending gamer...

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

GO GO GO!

Voted!

1zXfe5m.gif

Septic Japs Eye is a great name.

I laughed, I'm terrible.

dhBC38n.jpg

LETS GO!

Max Payne 3 not immediately winning best soundtrack that year is fucked. That soundtrack is best of all time level.

Max Panama is so damn good.
https://youtu.be/EskJZmaYL10

Future
https://youtu.be/Wbas-PwAYYE

Max Kill
https://youtu.be/FtzvSCLNivg

So fucking god-like.

max_payne3_stairs_kiliyqoe.gif

Yessssssssssss. I still listen to it. The soundtrack mixed in with the gameplay is some next level shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Every dumb FFXV video posted just makes me want to play it more.

It's starting to look more and more like a Deadly Premonition.

Hmm, Austin was right.

tumblr_o8ug76xPtp1tvyqwbo1_500.png

Im conflicted with shipping male characters who arent explicitly gay. The example Austin brought up for watchdogs 2 or the whole Poe and Finn thing from star wars last year, while on the surface is just harmless fun, it also adds to the stereotype that male closeness=homosexuality. Men are raised to not show emption or form emotional bonds to other men outside of sport or other approved relationships. Men shouldnbe able to hug it out or have other physical contact without being percived to be a signal for ones sexual preference.
But I also dont think shipping is wrong in this case, but seeing how open the game seems to be with breaking norms, they would have just come out and said it. But please note that if that was the case I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Chuck

Still without luck
Im conflicted with shipping male characters who arent explicitly gay. The example Austin brought up for watchdogs 2 or the whole Poe and Finn thing from star wars last year, while on the surface is just harmless fun, it also adds to the stereotype that male closeness=homosexuality. Men are raised to not show emption or form emotional bonds to other men outside of sport or other approved relationships. Men shouldnbe able to hug it out or have other physical contact without being percived to be a signal for ones sexual preference.
But I also dont think shipping is wrong in this case, but seeing how open the game seems to be with breaking norms, they would have just come out and said it. But please note that if that was the case I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Fan shipping, in general, comes from that stigmatization like you mention. It's why I almost never have issue with it, as media even today still largely consider homosexuality to be something with very limited appeal. WD2 does seemingly attempting to break some norms as there's probably a few queen characters in the game, making the aforementioned fan shipping seem perhaps a bit of a stretch.

I'm never going to mind artists drawing a couple characters kissing, though.

Guys just arrived at Shadow Moses in my MGScanlon 4 rewatch. Gets me everytime. :'')

lnCivAb.gif

I won't lie, I kind of teared up when I got there. By that time the last time I played MGS1 was in the late 90's and then when that happened, the nostalgia was just too much. Oh man and then abit further on "The Best Is Yet To Come" plays and maaaaaan.

that is a really bad picture of Danny O'Dwyer

and I have to imagine his YouTube/Twitch career is going to make that fairly common

They're trying to turn him into as much of a Youtuber as they possibly can.

Chuck

Still without luck
When I got to shadow moses in mgs4, I couldn't roll my eyes any harder.

Now granted, I fucking hated the game up to that point, but it really is nostalgia bait trash with nothing backing it up.

Tagyhag

Now granted, I fucking hated the game up to that point, but it really is nostalgia bait trash with nothing backing it up.

Yep, I'm a fan of the series but that blatant fanservice was just too much, even for a Metal Gear game. Felt like I was being treated like a moron fanboy.

Didn't help that it came right after that TERRIBLE Act 3.

Jintor

What I really like about mgs4 shadow Moses is how goddamn small it feels like.

That place was the entire world in mgs1...

Zornack

Yep, I'm a fan of the series but that blatant fanservice was just too much, even for a Metal Gear game. Felt like I was being treated like a moron fanboy.

Didn't help that it came right after that TERRIBLE Act 3.

Act 3 is the best act of any game ever,

tumblr_mamy9hxML71rb8fpgo1_500.gif

I'm sure you're not alone in that. Heck, there are people who had their eyes roll the entire game. In my heart, MGS4 is my favorite because it's just batshit insane all the way to the very end but in my mind, MGS3 is my favorite. We are never going to see anything like it ever again.

Act 3 is the best act of any game ever,

tumblr_mamy9hxML71rb8fpgo1_500.gif

Act 3 is awesome if you don't get caught when you follow that asshole and switch to the auto-aim camera thing during the chase sequence so you could soak in all the greatness.

WAY late to the party but here's my 2 cents on biggest mess: I totally agree with most that NMS is far and away the biggest mess this year, not even close... But the GB guys kind of just glossed over everything going on and are like "yeah, that's stupid and sucks." But with SFV they spent over a month where they discussed it every Bombcast for a decent length of time, so I think it's actually going to win with NMS getting runner up because they initially cared more about SFV than NMS.

oti

Banned
WAY late to the party but here's my 2 cents on biggest mess: I totally agree with most that NMS is far and away the biggest mess this year, not even close... But the GB guys kind of just glossed over everything going on and are like "yeah, that's stupid and sucks." But with SFV they spent over a month where they discussed it every Bombcast for a decent length of time, so I think it's actually going to win with NMS getting runner up because they initially cared more about SFV than NMS.

For me the key difference is this:

SFV's management by Capcom was a mess.
NMS itself is disappointing.

If HG were as active as Capcom post launch and if NMS wasn't as irrelevant as it was after it launched they would have talked more about it. GB's reaction has been quite telling actually when it comes to SFV. Jason hates how Capcom mismanaged it but still loves it. Brad calls Jason an apologist, doesn't really care about the game and only sees the negativity surrounding it. And Jeff is just Jeff. SFV could be the best game ever made and he could stop caring after 1 hour while he continues to enjoy garbage clicker games and played NMS for way longer than humanly possiblOHMYGOD Jeff is a robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom