• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you're saying is that the game was a mess at launch?

The matchmaking is a huge step back from IV. Not only is it still incredibly slow but it also relies on quick-matching rather than getting to brows through a list of open lobbies which is disappointing. On top of that the serves still have issues tracking records and the penalty for rage quitting barely hurts the quitter and does nothing for the person who's being quit on.

The fighting and net-codes great, but every single thing around it's a shit show and I'm somebody who thinks that any single player content outside of a training mode is a waste of resources.

Also the music playing at the biker bar was Hardcore Holly's theme, right? I feel horrible about noticing something wrestling related that Dan missed.

FluxWaveZ

I don't understand why it was ever a thing. Why would I watch a guy who's "angry" all the time? Sounds unpleasant.

Works for the original "Angry Video Game Nerd" for how over the top and absurd he is with it, also fitting with his "nerd" persona. It's obnoxious when people are playing it straight, though.

Salarians

Cxa3afkWEAEhJ8G

ArjanN

SFV is probably my numer 2 game this year right after Hitman.

If I'm being totally honest I can't help but feel a lot of Jeff's dissapointment with SFV comes from the realisation that he'd need to put in way more time that he has available/patience for to become good at it.

I can't think of any specific game that really dissapointed me this year.

I guess maybe VR, which clearly isn't there for another decade, but I wasn't really that hyped on that to being with.

fake edit: just realized, most dissapointing for me is probably Microsoft's half-hearted apprach to the windows store.

If I'm being totally honest I can't help but feel a lot of Jeff's dissapointment with SFV comes from the realisation that he'd need to put in way more time that he has available/patience for to become good at it.

I don't buy that because that didn't stop him from loving SF4, and also that is true for like 99.9% of the people who actually play fighting games.

The quicklook for Watch Dogs 2 made me realize that I don't think I've played an open world game with an emphasis on vehicles in a long time, not since GTA5 on PS3 I think, I I didn't even finish that game.

Makes me remember just how bored I always get trying to get around in open worlds like this. I much prefer either small/denser open worlds and ones where you can alternate, very fast methods of travel (like grapple boosting around in Arkham City/Knight).

they mentioned this on the beast cast last week and I agree.

I feel like we had a good window where PC ports were great, and now we're back to "well lets see if they fucked this one up" and having to wait on post release patches and shit

That's my most disappointing probably, even though it's not specific to this year

demidar

I can't even get a steady stream of online matches in SFV, and it's netcode sucks shit for playing against people in other countries.

You know what doesn't have that problem? Skullgirls. That game's netcode is impeccable AND it lets more than one fight go on in a lobby.

Seriously, who thought that was a fucking good idea, only having one fight going on at any one time?

hamchan

Even Jeff admits the actual fighting gameplay in SFV is great.

Also, you know Brad already established with Destiny that a game with great mechanics and disappointing everything else can't win Most Disappointing. SFV should surely win Hottest Mess but not Most Disappointing. Consistentcy from Giant Bomb would be something.

Most Disappointing easily goes to No Man's Sky which is a bad game on nearly every level, including god awful game design, perhaps the worst of any high profile release this year.

they mentioned this on the beast cast last week and I agree.

I feel like we had a good window where PC ports were great, and now we're back to "well lets see if they fucked this one up" and having to wait on post release patches and shit

That's my most disappointing probably, even though it's not specific to this year

Yeah, I've been thinking about that recently too. This year has been absolutely fucked for PC games, not just ports, even XCOM 2 was a hot fucking mess. It's been that way since around the start of this generation I feel like, but it's really gotten bad in the last year-ish. Remember what a mess Just Cause 3 was? On all platforms?

My reaction to SFV was pretty much the same as my reaction to Gran Turismo games. The core gameplay is fantastic, but it really feels like they could / should have built out more of a game around it. I guess in both cases the competition has raised the bar for what I expect out of that type of game.

On a wildly different note, I hope they bump back the TF2 Happy Hour on PS4. That exact hour is my entire walking/train commute home and I miss the entirety of it during the week lol.

FStop7

Banned
Considering the way Jeff went in on Fallout 4 it'd be kind of a travesty for NMS not to get hottest mess considering it's in much, much worse shape than FO4 ever was.

Strax

Considering the way Jeff went in on Fallout 4 it'd be kind of a travesty for NMS not to get hottest mess considering it's in much, much worse shape than FO4 ever was.

How are the technical shortcomings of Fallout 4 comparable in any way to the No Man's Sky fiasco?

Jeff did not shit on Fallout 4 on a technical level, at least that wasn't a big part of his issues, he was just really disappointed because he was hoping (for some reason, even after the trailers) for a huge leap in almost everything the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games have been in the past.

No Man's Sky is a well-deserved lock for Hottest Mess.

That recent Twitter hack solidified its place.

Also I think people need to state why it's a mess.
The game is disappointing, maybe even the most, but everything in the game works.
Hello Games would be a better contender for Hottest Mess imo.

FStop7

Banned
Jeff did not shit on Fallout 4 on a technical level, at least that wasn't a big part of his issues, he was just really disappointed because he was hoping (for some reason, even after the trailers) for a huge leap in almost everything the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games have been in the past.

He shit on it pretty hard technically, too. It had terrible framerate issues on the PS4, the worst was in the car factory where IIRC it got as bad as single digits. It had some really bad bugs, too. I'm still surprised that Austin was able to talk it onto the list, because the only other time I remember Jeff being that vocal about a game's problems was the Master Chief Collection. And FO4 deserved every bit of that criticism. But still, NMS is such a clunker that it makes FO4 look brilliant. That combined with all of the messaging issues and the Murray disappearing act... there's no way anything else should be hottest mess or biggest disappointment.

robotrock

Banned

Jeff had such a huge problem with the technical issues that he had to separate the PC and console reviews of the game

Hexagon!

I think Oculus is the most likely winner of Hottest Mess. Vinny in particular doesn't seem like the type to let that shit slide.

Salarians

I think "creator of thing was secretly funding a white supremacist/harassment group" might be just a liiiittle bit worse than "game wasn't as good as it could have been and/or didn't have things creator said it would have".

I should add that I'm not trying to give NMS (or SFV and etc.) any slack here, in any other year it'd take it, but the Oculus mess is... yeah...

StoveOven

Banned
Because of their reaction to the NMS backlash, I actually think they'll hesitate to make the game Hottest Mess or might just broaden it to "Everything surrounding No Man's Sky"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom