• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebetite

Banned
Maverick Hunter aleX
(I don't get why people dislike the X games, the are so much more fun than the numbered megamans)

The X games get particularly bad after a certain point, and even X3 and X4 are just okay, but X1 and X2 are in fact the best Mega Man games.

Meguro

Banned
I almost lost my entire sense of time because of that.
Like, DA:Origins feels like a "modern" game to me still.
"It can't have been that long ago....can it? Fuck no, that's crazy....right?"

kai3345

Banned
Tyranny does a lot of really cool stuff with it's text boxes. If a word is highlighted, you can click on it to get background on that person/place/battle/whatever. But the game also does some really crazy stuff with this system. There's a point where you meet a character and he's speaking to another character while twirling this stick. The actual action of him twirling the stick is highlighted as if it were an item of interest, and if you click on it the text shown to you is actually him communicating with your character telepathically, and he's giving you specific instructions that are separate from what he's actually saying. So if you never bother to click on the highlighted terms, you'll completely miss that stuff.

Strax

Buffy is at best a decent 90s that doesn't age well.
Buffy is also responsible for Joss Whedon so that's not helping it's case.

Dragon Age Origins feels really weird now when you consider where that series has gone. The whole point of that first game was to be this complex Baldur's Gate throwback RPG set in a dark, violent fantasy world. But with Inquisition they've pretty much left that behind entirely to focus on having the world's most fuckable fantasy cast.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Dragon Age Origins feels really weird now when you consider where that series has gone. The whole point of that first game was to be this complex Baldur's Gate throwback RPG set in a dark, violent fantasy world. But with Inquisition they've pretty much left that behind entirely to focus on having the world's most fuckable fantasy cast.

DA 2 was the game that coined "Press A to awesome" after all. I loooooove DA:O
But it's the only game in that series that is good.

Make A Megaman Great Again.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314710/

FStop7

Banned
Watch_Dogs 2 is a legit Best Style contender. That Hudson Mohawke soundtrack, the ASCII art, the logos and branding... the whole presentation is executed so well.

Tyranny does a lot of really cool stuff with it's text boxes. If a word is highlighted, you can click on it to get background on that person/place/battle/whatever. But the game also does some really crazy stuff with this system. There's a point where you meet a character and he's speaking to another character while twirling this stick. The actual action of him twirling the stick is highlighted as if it were an item of interest, and if you click on it the text shown to you is actually him communicating with your character telepathically, and he's giving you specific instructions that are separate from what he's actually saying. So if you never bother to click on the highlighted terms, you'll completely miss that stuff.

Oooooooooooh that is neat.

Maybe I shouldn't wait till the Winter sale...

kadotsu

Banned
Watch_Dogs 2 is a legit Best Style contender. That Hudson Mohawke soundtrack, the ASCII art, the logos and branding... the whole presentation is executed so well.

I would personally give it to the Witness. Even without the puzzles you could probably send the game in and get a degree in architecture.

Stardew Valley has best style on a lock. Pastoral pixel art is due to make its triumphant return.

Obsidian definitely put their "A" game into Tyranny. There's a lot of cool roleplaying mechanics in it, like the above. It's also highly designed for replayability and all the choice & consequences that entails.

It was completely off my radar pre-release, but now it's one of my favourite games of 2016. Obsidian still has it.

I would personally give it to the Witness. Even without the puzzles you could probably send the game in and get a degree in architecture.

If there was a more abstract "Best Design" category I think The Witness would deserve it for sure. There are very very few people in the world who could create a game like that and execute it as well as Jonathan Blow and his team did. That game is... well, "genius" is maybe hyperbolic, but certainly "ingenious".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Video games trying to turn every random NPC into deplorable scum to make you feel like 'the good guy' is kind of a hilarious tonedeaf reaction to the crictcisms of video game violence and hypocrisy from the lead protagonists.

'This whole squadron of evil firemen are pedophile, rapist, women beating, child beating, racist, homophobes so it's ok that you gunned them all down! They just all happened to be terrible people!'

Jintor

Also this mgr meme has gone far enough. The music in it is bad, it's the template #2 for the type of game platinum is farting out these days so they themselves have ruined it for people who actually enjoyed it (those freaks). It turns Raiden into more of an idiot compared to mgs2 -> mgs4

Like Raiden is the biggest mishandle in the whole series and this spin off gaiden bullshit game is the worst thing about him even with this scene existing

oops i instantly dismissed your opinion

(For real though yeah they kinda just strapped in the standard platinum framework + slightly better parry mechanics over the top, but hey, whatever)

also in honesty i don't really give a shit about raiden's character arc so none of that hits for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom