• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's a me thing, but I've been finding Vinny more grating recently, mostly when he goes on tangents on the Beastcast. Him just shooting half-cocked references and ideas and then keeping the bits going way too long. I think he'd benefit from a host who'd rein him in every now and then. He's totally the Dad Joke guy now. Beastcast definitely isn't at full strength, that's for sure.

totp edit: I just don't get this feeling anymore like I used to, you know?

2787868-6567091954-iJykb.gif

Catvoca

Banned
Just looked up the numbers and eh, ~20k views per video ain't too bad.

I'm surprised they don't cut the videos into 4 or 5 chunks like the YouTube crowd does. They'd probably get more hits that way, though I guess it's a little bit more work for them.

Meneses

I stopped watching live mainly due to getting home after the bombcast has started and also having bad internet where I am now.

But I think im enjoying it more now that i'm back to just listening to it on my commute.

edit: I love Vinny and his tangents.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't listen to live because I listen to podcasts to accompany me with other activities, not occupy my whole attention.

Zaph

Maybe it's a me thing, but I've been finding Vinny more grating recently, mostly when he goes on tangents on the Beastcast. Him just shooting half-cocked references and ideas and then keeping the bits going way too long. I think he'd benefit from a host who'd rein him in every now and then. He's totally the Dad Joke guy now. Beastcast definitely isn't at full strength, that's for sure.

[IMG ]http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/13/139434/2787868-6567091954-iJykb.gif[/IMG]

Definitely not just you - Vinny's tangents/bits/voices run on far too long and make the Beastcast borderline unlistenable at times. And the Bombcast has gotten really boring.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Over an hour of Vinny and Jeff Bakalr talking about how 'New Jersey used to be' and 'hockey' I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to listen to that
zWVbK.gif

Jeff flying around to his old haunts is exactly what I did with Google Earth VR. It's such a crazy, nostalgic feeling to visit these not-quite-nightmare versions of familiar places.

FStop7

Banned
I suspect bombcast numbers have gone up if anything. I would be interested to hear, out of all those that were demanding it, how many people still watch it live - or download the video even, which seems even crazier.

I bet you're right about the Bombcast numbers going up, but it just doesn't seem to get as much discussion on here.

mhanna49

Neo Member
I don't enjoy the Bombcast or the Beascast that much anymore. I try to watch the Bombcast live when it is on, though. Maybe I just don't like podcasts in general anymore.

I think the problem, currently, is consistency. The Beastcast can still be amazing since Austin left, but then sometimes it doesn't hit the mark - Alex particularly seems to me to be all over the place at the moment. Then on the Bombcast you have Dan, Jason and Drew; all of whom can spark up and participate in amazing conversations, but can just as easily go 50+ minutes without a peep while Jeff and Brad have the same conversations over and over again.

I can see how that's probably only noticeable or even an issue for the more dedicated fans like us though - we listen to all their work, watch all their videos. They're just people, keeping it together through a series of bumps in the road and talking a hell of a lot to entertain folks. It's not always going to be top tier, which is fine.

Strax

I was really shocked when Jeff didn't tell the guys that McD brings the McRib back when pork prices are low when McRib was brought up during the lastest podcast. Jeff tell that on some kind of content happens at least 2-3 times a year.

Which is why they need to bring back taste tests and new WiiWare releases.

God no.

I'll never understand the love GB Whiskey Media era gets vs. CBS GB.

I wish the Beastcast was just Vinny rants...I think I have to stop listening though because I can't stand Alex's constant interruptions and negativity. It's especially grating when any time Vinny tries expressing any opinion, or saying any thing, Alex will interrupt with a "Well, the thing is..." and it will be nothing even related to what Vinny was going to say. There is a reason why Alex was never on the Bombcast when he was in San Fran...because he is absolutely insufferable. At least Jeff is there to kind of balance it out and somehow find the odd thing to not dislike about Alex, but yeah...Beastcast is not very good right now, but it has nothing to do with Vinny.

This sort of bummed me out (yes, it's a thread made by me): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318545

2787868-6567091954-iJykb.gif

While I don't agree with your main point, I do somewhat agree with your final sentence. I think the Beastcast was at its best with Vinny, Alex, Jeff, and Austin. Now that its Vinny, Alex, and Jeff, it's not quite the same (even though that's how the podcast began). I think having Dan join will bring that extra strength that having Austin on did. I mean, we got the whole "In The Beginning" thing when Dan was visiting. Granted, Austin was also a guest that day, but still... I look forward to Vinny pranking Dan. Surely that will happen, right?

Also, as for the Beastcast, I sent in my first ever e-mail. Doubt it will get read due to its length, but it continues their Die Hard discussion. In the e-mail, I explain that most of the movies have weird inspirations. Die Hard was based off of an unrelated book (which was a sequel to another book), Die Hard 2 was based off of yet another unrelated book, Die Hard With a Vengeance was a reworked screenplay of an unrelated movie, Live Free or Die Hard was based off of a Wired article on cyber security, and A Good Day to Die Hard was based on nothing, but was originally going to be titled Die Hard 24/7, leading many people to speculate if they were trying to make a Die Hard/24 cross-over featuring a team-up of John McClane and Jack Bauer. That would've been awesome!

FStop7

Banned
I was really shocked when Jeff didn't tell the guys that McD brings the McRib back when pork prices are low when McRib was brought up during the lastest podcast. Jeff tell that on some kind of content happens at least 2-3 times a year.

God no.

Is premium content the McRib of Giant Bomb? 🤔

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I still think they should've kept the Beastcast short like their initial plan was. I still enjoy it, though. The Dan shake-up will be interesting for both coats, but west will probably have more of a problem since he is such a driving force there. Having more guests on would be perfect, those have been my favorite episodes for a while now.

They're just looking at graphs and when one line crosses the other line, they bring them back!

Meanwhile, you listen to Waypoint Radio and Austin's busy cracking the Enigma Code.

How times change.
I'm enjoying that as well right now, but it's too much of a Austin soap box at times. He's just super dominant on it.

TraBuch

Banned
God no.

Then, it felt like a bunch of friends getting together and shooting the shit. Just doing whatever the fuck they wanted. Now it just feels like a job, like they're just going through the motions.

I know people disagree with me but eh, whatever. I still love GB but I'd be lying if I said I watch every single video or listen to every single podcast like I used to.

Antiwhippy

Am I the only one here who pretty much listens to the beastcasts and bombcasts at least 3 times on repeat when they come out?

Antiwhippy

Thing is I pretty much only listen to the bombcast/beastcast at work because I can listen to podcasts while having one ear free for work stuff because I have a weird compunction about listening to music without having the full 2 channels in my ears.

Btw, for those of you thinking this thread is a bit harsh on the guys, take a look at Kinda Funny's community.

This shit is tea and cake compared to Lord Of The Flies over there.

FStop7

Banned
Btw, for those of you thinking this thread is a bit harsh on the guys, take a look at Kinda Funny's community.

I misread that as Kinda Furry but it still works

And whatever anyone's beef may be with GB at least they're not Colin.

They have Colin, so I'm not surprised, other than at the fact that people stuck around for this long with him there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom