• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've found some sort of YouTube nexus:

j9eZ9GH.png

So Vinny is a tuber and Sleeping Lesson is a cat?

How many revelations can a single day have?!
There's no real resistance in the game at all. It's just click stuff, get stuff. You can set tings up more efficiently to get more stuff per click, but at the end of the day, it hardly even matters. Pretty much every action you do pays off in some way or another, unless you die in the mines, I guess. Occasionally you'll want specific stuff, so you click on specific things to get it.

It's an exercise in giving the player a ton of options, and making them feel good about whichever one they pick. The only real point of friction is the limit of time in a day, but that only really manifests in some fairly minor ways, since there's always more days.
Yes... it is a video game, and that's precisely why it's great.

Mr. F

Banned
There's no real resistance in the game at all. It's just click stuff, get stuff. You can set tings up more efficiently to get more stuff per click, but at the end of the day, it hardly even matters. Pretty much every action you do pays off in some way or another, unless you die in the mines, I guess. Occasionally you'll want specific stuff, so you click on specific things to get it.

It's an exercise in giving the player a ton of options, and making them feel good about whichever one they pick. The only real point of friction is the limit of time in a day, but that only really manifests in some fairly minor ways, since there's always more days.

Yeah, I was initially a little overwhelmed and worried I might be playing Stardew "wrong" but once I realised it kinda let's you do whatever with few negative consequences I started to enjoy it a lot more.

Still waiting on that PS4 port to start a new playthrough

That's encouraging, I guess I had maybe approached it the wrong way. I felt kind of dropped in and overwhelmed thinking there was a specific way to be going about things. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I sort 'prepped' myself for stardew valley, looking at a few 'tips before you play' articles on Polygon/kotaku and keeping a bookmark to the wiki. Helped a bunch. Obviously some people hate that stuff ("It should just be in the game!!") But it's never bothered me.

Random memory: With Thanksgiving tomorrow, does anyone remember in 2013 (just weeks after PS4 launch) the Thanksgiving stream Adam Boyes did from his house, featuring Gio Corsi, John Vignocchi and (if I recall) Jeff Gerstmann? I remember I watched that after I ate dinner.

Vinny really fucked up not calling that water ride the Log Down

Maaaaaan. Too good.

What's the "right" way to play hitman? Playing with all of the prompts turned on feels like it's a bit much. I feel like i'm getting into the same trap I fall into with Metal Gear where I want to do things "clean" so I'm really hesitant to try things.

What's the "right" way to play hitman? Playing with all of the prompts turned on feels like it's a bit much. I feel like i'm getting into the same trap I fall into with Metal Gear where I want to do things "clean" so I'm really hesitant to try things.

Save scumming. I don't think there's any shame in playing with full opportunities if that's more fun for you. Pretty much every time I turned them to minimal I'd get something like "get item x" and then spend 10 minutes looking for it and not finding it, and then just going "fuck it" and turning it on again. Just do what feels good, and by god, scum those saves.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Man i keep thinking to push the Button for Titanfall 2 on Origin right now :O

I must have closed then reopened the page about 5 times already.

I'm right there with you. I went back and watched the Quick Look for the first time and got way more interested in the game than I expected.

So, it's finally happening. After going for an American visa(which still hasn't been done) I decided to switch gears last month after feeling that there's a chance it may get delayed and to avoid such delays, I decided to go to the UK, Brighton to continue my masters. (in hindsight I'm glad I switched gears lol)

Everything is all set in stone now and I'll be flying in a few hours. I'm a mix of excitement and feeling bittersweet because I'm going to be living abroad for a long while. Doesn't mean I won't visit my place from time to time though! Anyways, just abit of an update for anyone that cares.

Mafia III's combat is so badass though, the shooting feels really great and the takedowns are amazingly violent.
edit: lastpostpeasant.

YES. It's what kept me coming back besides the great story. It feels like playing a lite version of Max Payne 3.

I wish every giantbomb content features rorie.

Love that man.

100% in agreement. Here's to the haters!

KAMjFth.gif

I think I've found some sort of YouTube nexus:

j9eZ9GH.png

YwgyJZn.png

p0JPBsr.gif

I understand enjoying the game, but I'm always a bit incredulous when someone says it was this transformative experience or whatever.

While it wasn't this out of body experience for me or whatever, it was and still is a very memorable experience playing it for the first time when it released. I think some of the magic is lost now because many have played and talked about Journey to death at this point whereas playing it back in the day and stumbling upon your first stranger was all sorts of NUTS.

I will say this though, the game I feel remains timeless thanks to the superb art direction and the soundtrack. My god the soundtrack, that last level, man. Apotheosis is some next level shit.

I dunno, the uk doesn't seem that much better than the us currently.

I don't have a choice sadly. What was worrying me the most was the visa. To get an American student visa if you're from the Middle East is like playing Russian roulette. You'll never know if you'll get it in a week, month, two.etc I know a few who have waited 6 fucking months to get their student visa.

Zornack

The way you guys talked about the podcast I expected Drew to tear into Stardew, not say "I was bored it's not for me but I understand why some people would love it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom