• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff on Darksiders: "Out-Zelda'd Zelda"

That's... high praise.

Though, something a little more accurate? It Out-Zelda'd Ittl Dew. Yeah, that seems better.

Alright, I'll just say it: I don't get the praise for Darksiders. It's an alright game, but it never rises above imitation in my eyes. The combat or aesthetic do nothing for me; it doesn't improve on the Zelda formula so much as crowbar it into an action brawler's framework, which, while quaint, doesn't make it a better game. There has to be something more than novelty driving this comparison.

Meneses

I actually liked Darksiders more than almost all Zeldas except for a Link to the Past and Wind Waker.

But i'm not a big Zelda fan.

Meguro

Banned
Darksiders aesthetics and combat did absolutely nothing for me and I don't think the dungeon design was anywhere near Zelda level.
But I'm biased considering what I think of Ocarina of Time.

FluxWaveZ

I really didn't like Darksiders very much. The combat was alright, but the dungeons were a slog. I remember people talking about how the game "had everything," with frequent mentions of its
portal gun
, but none of it was executed especially remarkably to me.

Salarians

The hour I played of Darksiderz was entirely forgettable.

No, wait, Mark Hamill was good.

The Old Jeff Show

he goes around buying bad food and energy drinks and kicking holes in walls
and smashing up old PCs with baseball bats (and urinating on them? I can't remember)

Darksiders aesthetics and combat did absolutely nothing for me and I don't think the dungeon design was anywhere near Zelda level.
But I'm biased considering what I think of Ocarina of Time.

No, you're correct. The first Darksiders is fine, but the second game really hammers home the point that Vigil
actually had no idea what they were doing and was just jamming in every stolen idea they thought was cool.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Darksiders always felt like a mish-mash of ideas other games did better.
Zelda did it better, God of War did it better, Portal did it better.

GIGIv9a.jpg
Welp, reached Heathrow a while ago. Now I'm on a 2-3 hour bus ride to Brighton and then probably sleep for a long, long, LONG ass while. It kind of just dawned on me that I'm going to live here for a while.

where this from

Charity related.

Zaph

Finished the TF2 campaign. Goddamn. Never felt cooler playing a video game.

Survive. Evade. Resist. Escape.

Welp, reached Heathrow a while ago. Now I'm on a 2-3 hour bus ride to Brighton and then probably sleep for a long, long, LONG ass while. It kind of just dawned on me that I'm going to live here for a while.

Kuwait to Brighton? If this is your first time, you're in for a bit of a culture shock lol

Anyway, welcome, it's a shame you're gonna see us at our worst.

Kuwait to Brighton? If this is your first time, you're in for a bit of a culture shock lol

Anyway, welcome, it's a shame you're gonna see us at our worst.

Yup. Hey man, I don't judge and thanks!

Brighton in the UK?

make sure to visit the fair

Will do. Yes, I posted an update earlier today(could be yesterday to you guys)

--

So, it's finally happening. After going for an American visa(which still hasn't been done) I decided to switch gears last month after feeling that there's a chance it may get delayed and to avoid such delays, I decided to go to the UK, Brighton to continue my masters. (in hindsight I'm glad I switched gears lol)

Everything is all set in stone now and I'll be flying in a few hours. I'm a mix of excitement and feeling bittersweet because I'm going to be living abroad for a long while. Doesn't mean I won't visit my place from time to time though! Anyways, just abit of an update for anyone that cares.

Wow War's voice in Darksiders is literally just Illidan from WoW. Liam O'Brien just doing it. I heard him say one single line and was like "that's Illidan" and sure enough.

Jintor

hey everybody it's friday

that just means another 8 hours of work + 2 hours of transit before I can finally sink into blessed unconsciousness for reals

This back and forth over Darksiders 1 is stunning to me because Darksiders 2 is better in every way compared to 1, but nobody played it. 15 dungeons, an overworld like Hyrule, and items and gear like Ocarina.

In fact, when someone asks me for the best Zelda ripoff, I don't even think of Darksiders 1 because Darksiders 2 is EXACTLY like Zelda, not just an homage like 1 was.

Great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom