• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
If you want anything that resembled a cohesive narrative or any kind of story pacing?
Hell no.
If you want a weirdly charming open world JRPG with some good combat (once you get used to it) and kinda alright characters?
Go for it.

Honestly this is exactly what I'm looking for, not gonna lie.

Someone in this thread earlier said it reminded them of Deadly Premonition, and that's got me excited.

BearPawB

Banned
If you want anything that resembled a cohesive narrative or any kind of story pacing?
Hell no.
If you want a weirdly charming open world JRPG with some good combat (once you get used to it) and kinda alright characters?
Go for it.

It's strangely enticing.
All I wanna do is go back and play some more but I'm not really sure why?

I think all I want is to road trip with some cute japanese boys

popo

I never understand modern FF stories when they are linear and narrative driven anyway, Fal'Cie, L'Cie all that bollocks.

Mr. F

Banned
Someone else in this thread pointed it out, but Waypoint Radio probably due to the long distance format feels like each person takes a turn to get up on a soap box and do a spiel on the same topic, usually with Austin dominating the conversation and taking the lead and having a long winded albeit well argued monologue and then Patrick and Danielle stepping up to the box and having a shorter, "yeah you're totally right Austin, what you said," before they move onto the next topic.

It's not the political nature of Waypoint or trying to apply critical theory to games that I find to be a problem, it's just that it doesn't feel like a conversation, mostly repetition of the same idea the first person says 2 more times before moving onto the next topic.

That was me that mentioned it before, and yeah you're dead on.

Also I don't know if I posted it here or in the waypoint thread or both, but I feel Danielle is back-seated and interrupted a lot. It's a stark contrast from when she would guest on the Beastcast and actually have a chance to chip into the conversation, but I find the current format of waypoint's show has her getting cut off a lot or just fully passed over for minutes at a time while Patrick and Austin pass back and forth.

Salarians

I think all I want is to road trip with some cute japanese boys
tumblr_ogjn62Pah51sd29ego4_1280.gif

daveo42

Banned
Hell no.
Go for it.

It's strangely enticing.
All I wanna do is go back and play some more but I'm not really sure why?

That's somewhat depressing, but I feel it's been a long ass time since we had a well-paced mainline FF with a cohesive narrative. I'm still going to sink far too many hours in and enjoy my time, but with eyes a little more set on Persona 5.

So, guys, tell me about Dan's new book. I'll read it at some point, since I liked Anxiety as an Ally, but I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge. Hype me up, someone.

So, guys, tell me about Dan's new book. I'll read it at some point, since I liked Anxiety as an Ally, but I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge. Hype me up, someone.

Somewhere in Paul Ryckert's backyard, there is a bucket buried underground. That bucket is filled with salsa, spaghetti, and I believe peanut butter.

KingKong

Best Battlefield since Bad Company 2, for sure.

I'd say it's my favorite since BF2. Having it set during an actual war, no matter how unrealistic, really helps the scale of things make sense

also I really like that battlefields medals and rewards have always had insane time requirements since BF2, they fully expect you to spend hundreds of hours playing the game

Anjin M

Is it too late for me to complain about the Waypoint podcast? I actually like the show. However, it took a turn for the worse when Danielle came on the cast. Not because I don't like her (Danielle can be awesome) but because it became a mixed studio/Skype podcast. Half the time, it's like Patrick isn't even on the cast. Hell, on the Monday episode, he ended up reexplaining something that Austin and Danielle discussed ten minutes before.

Skype casts can work when they are all on Skype, but it has to be all or nothing or the dynamic doesn't work.

Edit://
I'm hoping they stop name checking Giant Bomb one day.

robotrock

Banned
Is it too late for me to complain about the Waypoint podcast? I actually like the show. However, it took a turn for the worse when Danielle came on the cast. Not because I don't like her (Danielle can be awesome) but because it became a mixed studio/Skype podcast. Half the time, it's like Patrick isn't even on the cast. Hell, on the Monday episode, he ended up reexplaining something that Austin and Danielle discussed ten minutes before.

Skype casts can work when they are all on Skype, but it has to be all or nothing or the dynamic doesn't work.

Yeah I'm interested to see if they get better about that sort of stuff. Last episode I listened to was the first time they apparently video skyped Patrick, in efforts to make the conversations more natural. I really hope they figure this out.

As much as I like you guys talking about sites that aren't Giant Bomb in the Giant Bomb Neogaf thread, this sort of stuff is probably best aimed at the people it actually concerns

edit: this fucking God Eater music loop

That was me that mentioned it before, and yeah you're dead on.

Also I don't know if I posted it here or in the waypoint thread or both, but I feel Danielle is back-seated and interrupted a lot. It's a stark contrast from when she would guest on the Beastcast and actually have a chance to chip into the conversation, but I find the current format of waypoint's show has her getting cut off a lot or just fully passed over for minutes at a time while Patrick and Austin pass back and forth.

I feel like length is the root of Waypoint Radio's issues. Like, they have to rapidly move between topics, so anyone not dominating the conversation is naturally left behind by virtue of time. There's been a ton of occasions where they're not wrapped up with a topic, but are hurried to move on by the studio timeslot pressure--it's kind of the opposite problem that GB's podcasts have, where it suffers from its lack of structure. WPR is too structured.

All that said, I really like it as a companion podcast to GB's stuff. They cover completely opposites spheres of interest and there's very little overlap, aside from the "new games" talk... but even that has an entirely different tone to it. And the talk itself is good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom