• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A criticism of Titanfal 2

having to grind out not only weapon unlocks and abilities but also modifications that all around improve your weapon over the vanilla models is straight up archaic.

robotrock

Banned
I got an immersion circulator today. Never really done any sous vide before so I'm pretty excited about this

edit: If you have some experience or recipes to send my way I'm all for it.

I liked Firewatch, although it definitely stumbles its way towards the end. I'm not one of those "the ending was disappointing so the whole experience was worthless" people. I've seen LOST (twice!), I'm prepared for this kind of thing.

Zaph

Firewatch's problems go far beyond just the ending.

Namely, it's a story and relationship driven game with poor writing and an unconvincing relationship. Felt like it was written by people with more internet experience than life experience. When you compare it to some of the radio dramas out there, it really hits you in the face what a wasted opportunity it was.

Meneses

I liked Firewatch, although it definitely stumbles its way towards the end. I'm not one of those "the ending was disappointing so the whole experience was worthless" people. I've seen LOST (twice!), I'm prepared for this kind of thing.

lol i've been there. Luckily I had started to lose interest from season 4 onwards.

As for Firewatch, I didn't like it from the start. I thought the much-praised dialogue was bad, and the game itself generally uninteresting. I did like the way it looked, though.

Jothel

Can anyone remember what podcasts Justin McElroy was one when he was giving the European press "is there multiplayer?" And Sherlock Holmes games stories? I think it's e3 but no idea on the year etc

TraBuch

Banned
Can anyone remember what podcasts Justin McElroy was one when he was giving the European press "is there multiplayer?" And Sherlock Holmes games stories? I think it's e3 but no idea on the year etc
Just go to YouTube and type in Bombcast McElroy Sherlock

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bought Hitman on PlayStation.

Might not even play it, but it would feel shit not giving the Devs some money after all the entertainment I got from it through Giantbomb.

justjim89

I pretty much loved Firewatch all the way through. Definitely in my top five of the year. The reveal to the mystery is kinda lame, and the ending left me feeling kinda hollow and unfulfilled, but I think that's kinda the point of it all. One of my favorite game stories in years.

The Dan episode of The Comedy Button is great, although disappointing to hear they apparently recorded two episodes with him and Jared Petty and the first was lost literally because Scott's cat ruined the computer it was on. I'd love to hear Jeff on an episode of it and let him embrace their more sophomoric style for an hour.

oti

Banned
Things I liked about Firewatch: good VO, nice graphics, relatable characters
Things I didn't like about Firewatch: everything else

Ashby

In my 25+ years of video game playing, Firewatch is the only game where I encountered a progress halting, game breaking bug. Piece of shit.

I think this is supposed to be a burn but like... that sounds alright? Considering how most games spectacularly fail at having characters whose names i can even remember, yeah, i'll take that any day.

kadotsu

Banned
The thing I can't stand about games like Firewatch, Gone Home and Dear Esther is something I will call ludonarrative hypocrisy. They all claim to be about close human relationships and the problems that arise in their text but they don't back it up with anything in the playspace. To put it simply there are no human interactions in those games. Interaction is always by proxy. Logs, phones etc.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I felt the complete opposite. I hated both characters. I actually requested a refund on Steam, I really hated that game. Played maybe 40 minutes, couldn't take more

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You're crazy! There's nothing more relatable than
abandoning your spouse to live in the woods like the Unabomber.

It wasn't even that, it was their overly witty dialog that made me tear my ears out. I hate that kind of writing. Nothing about those characters felt real or relatable to me. The game looked really nice though.

Johndoey

Banned
I didn't give enough of a shit about the characters for the lame reveal to work for me.

It was like these two characters are whatever but this here mystery seems interesting. It failed me.

Peru

Watching old 1up Show episodes in lieu of game tapes / demo derby. I just have a fascination with revisiting older but not quite retro-games.

Scizzy

I got an immersion circulator today. Never really done any sous vide before so I'm pretty excited about this

edit: If you have some experience or recipes to send my way I'm all for it.

Look up Kenji Lopez-Alt's guides on Food Lab. They are all fantastic and easy to follow.

Does anyone have a link to where that homer simpson "im a scientist" t shirt thing came from?

I guess from the Drew / Alexas 24 hour stream but that thing is REALLY LONG and I cant find it.

popo

What was the reveal? It's been a while for me

Firewatch?
They set it up as a government conspiracy where scientists were monitoring the two protagonists while manipulating them to record psychological reactions - turned out it was just some hermit who was fucking with them - the father of the boy who died in a fall, he had been living in the woods for years.

ArjanN

I understand why some people don't like the Firewatch ending (even through they're wrong :p) but it's nothing like Lost, it was pretty obvious after the first season of Lost they were just making (admittedly intriguing) shit up as they went along and would write themselves into a corner eventually.

Firewatch does have some misdirection in the story, but the whole game makes sense both plot and theme wise.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Lol at dan folding and blaming his drinking on being a dick online when Maron called him out on it.

Dans reply tweet read like the kind of thing one would specifically craft when you are trying your hardest to not apologize to a person while still seeming remorseful. Right down to blaming it on the alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom