• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why some people don't like the Firewatch ending (even through they're wrong :p) but it's nothing like Lost, it was pretty obvious after the first season of Lost they were just making (admittedly intriguing) shit up as they went along and would write themselves into a corner eventually.

Firewatch does have some misdirection in the story, but the whole game makes sense both plot and theme wise.

I know, I wasn't implying they're similar, merely that a disappointing ending doesn't invalidate the whole experience for me, which there was a lot of that going around towards the end of LOST. But that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish with regards to people treating stories and art as puzzles to be solved, or a bunch of wikipedia entries, rather than, y'know, a story. Which is still very prevalent with any show that drops even a hint of foreshadowing.

FStop7

Banned
It wasn't even that, it was their overly witty dialog that made me tear my ears out. I hate that kind of writing. Nothing about those characters felt real or relatable to me. The game looked really nice though.

Is it like Joss Whedon overly witty or Aaron Sorkin overly witty?

Justin

Dans reply tweet read like the kind of thing one would specifically craft when you are trying your hardest to not apologize to a person while still seeming remorseful. Right down to blaming it on the alcohol.

The funniest part was Maron passively aggressively wishing dan good luck with his book and dan not realizing it and responding with a "thanks for the kind words".

justjim89

Ooof, yeah. That Ryckert-Maron exchange just has that palpable awkwardness that makes my skin crawl. Good on Maron for being a class act about it. What a surprise that happy-go-lucky, never had a problem in his life Dan wouldn't understand someone with depression.

robotrock

Banned
When someone insults Eric Andre on Twitter or Instagram, he sometimes makes a separate post with a screenshot of the insult. And then after that, the person who insulted will reply and say "I'm so sorry, I didn't think you'd see it! I love you!"

oti

Banned
I think this is supposed to be a burn but like... that sounds alright? Considering how most games spectacularly fail at having characters whose names i can even remember, yeah, i'll take that any day.

It's well made, but I don't like playing it. I felt like I had to play through the game to see the ending which made it even worse in the end. Playing up to the lake part might as well be the best way to experience that game.

Reading some comments here, while the dialogue was maybe trying too hard to be witty I could imagine two people living alone in the woods to be goofing around whenever they can. It was fun dialogue, which is pretty rare in video games. That didn't make me like the characters though.

In all honesty, if you think it's one of the best games of the year I don't know what to tell you.

Strax

Man, Hitman is so fun I kinda bummed every sec I'm not playing it. The challenges are shockingly fun. I'm playing it like I bought each map at the time of release.

But that said.

Them lucking their way into the perfect episodic game tells me so much about Square Enix.

oti

Banned
YES! I knew GB gaf had awesome taste I also LOVE everything about FW and loved the ending is so not like a video game that what makes it great!

I appreciate that the ending isn't very video game like too, but calling it "good"? I don't know man. I guess I was so disappointed after the first part up to the lake, which is truly phenomenal. Big contester for Moment or Sequence of the year for sure.

robotrock

Banned
I appreciate that the ending isn't very video game like too, but calling it "good"? I don't know man. I guess I was so disappointed after the first part up to the lake, which is truly phenomenal. Big contester for Moment or Sequence of the year for sure.

What was your issue with the Firewatch ending? It felt really fitting for the last couple of hours or so that it followed.

Same. It was alright but as a Ratchet and Clank fan it was the mostly more of the same but with some movie tie in baggage. It looks amazing though.

as someone who never played a R&C game before and got it for ten dollars I'm pretty stoked

(and of course a remake is going to be more of the same, dummy)

Curufinwe

Same. It was alright but as a Ratchet and Clank fan it was the mostly more of the same but with some movie tie in baggage. It looks amazing though.

Yeah, I liked A Crack in Time a lot more. The shooting felt sloppy coming off Uncharted 4, and the story was disjointed with all the stuff they couldn't show from the movie.

Wait, did Dan get drunk and just start tweeting insults at a comedian unprovoked on Twitter? What the fuck?

No, he didn't @ him, so I can only assume either the dude has a google alert or something set up or someone sent that tweet his way. But yeah when your account is a certain size it's not really smart or nice to go around insulting people.

Ashby

No, he didn't @ him, so I can only assume either the dude has a google alert or something set up or someone sent that tweet his way. But yeah when your account is a certain size it's not really smart or nice to go around insulting people.

Oh, yeah not half as bad if he didn't @ him

oti

Banned
What was your issue with the Firewatch ending? It felt really fitting for the last couple of hours or so that it followed.

Can't argue with that. Of course not seeing her was a huge bummer but the mystery in itself was a huge bummer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom