• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meneses

I don't think it's just their twitter, the whole game really struggles from the tonal shift between the solemn "here are facts about the war that we're trying to honour" and "here's goofy videogame bullshit".

Sure, but I kinda get that, at the end of the day they're making a videogame that's supposed to be fun to play so that tonal disconnect is somewhat expected.

However, the shitty memes from that twitter account are totally out of place and just plain bad.

Turns out that making a shiny AAA game about the most horrendous meat grinder of a conflict of the past century might make for some PR blunders. Who'd have thunk?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out that making a shiny AAA game about the most horrendous meat grinder of a conflict of the past century might make for some PR blunders. Who'd have thunk?
They could also take the "serious game about serious conflict" angle COD used even when it didn't really make sense. No reason to go into shitty meme territory.

Why can't Giant Bomb produce quality #content like this:
8JeardO.jpg

Meneses

Holy shit, Brad and Dan just cannot finish the new Hitman QL without finding a certain room and potentially carrying out a certain kill.

Please don't read this if you don't want to be spoiled:
There's a DDR machine and you can kill people by tampering with it and setting it to expert so the player sweats a lot and gets electrocuted by the exposed wires in the dancemat

GOTY.

Danny's first documentary was fantastic. Though (with the very tiny bit I know about trademarks and copyrights), he may run into trouble if he ever sells them on Blu-Ray/DVD. I'm referring to the racing jersey he was wearing. If he sells the documentaries on Blu-Ray/DVD, wouldn't he have to either blur out all those company logos or receive permission from each one? I don't think it'd be an issue as long as its available for free on YouTube, but if he sets up a store to sell NoClip merchandise, with Blu-Rays/DVDs, then lawyers might come knocking.

Maiorum

Holy shit, Brad and Dan just cannot finish the new Hitman QL without finding a certain room and potentially carrying out a certain kill.

There's a DDR machine and you can kill people by tampering with it and setting it to expert so the player sweats a lot and gets electrocuted by the exposed wires in the dancemat

GOTY.

Where's that room? I missed it my first time through.

jaina

Danny's first documentary was fantastic. Though (with the very tiny bit I know about trademarks and copyrights), he may run into trouble if he ever sells them on Blu-Ray/DVD. I'm referring to the racing jersey he was wearing. If he sells the documentaries on Blu-Ray/DVD, wouldn't he have to either blur out all those company logos or receive permission from each one? I don't think it'd be an issue as long as its available for free on YouTube, but if he sets up a store to sell NoClip merchandise, with Blu-Rays/DVDs, then lawyers might come knocking.
Yeah might be. IANAL and I think it's fine.

I got a big laugh out if him wearing the stupid shirt he bought on the E3 drive. And I think it fits because of ad-covered speedy race cars.

Meneses

Where's that room? I missed it my first time through.

You need to access
the medical side of the hospital. You need a doctor's disguise to go past the two guys that frisk you - there's probably some other way to get there, though, likely through the garden. Then it's in the Staff Living Quarters area, close to the canteen. I can't recall exactly how to get there but there are a bunch of signs along the way, it's one of the lower levels of the building.

FStop7

Banned
If EA's fuckery kills Respawn/Titanfall, it'll be one of the worst closures in modern gaming history.

It feels like we've only just begun to see what those guys are capable of.

Goddamn Titanfall 2

I really doubt TF2 failing would lead to a Respawn closure. More likely it would lead to them developing a game that is a straight up continuation of Modern Warfare, with lots of microtransaction hooks.

jaina

Does everyone on Patreon have a contingency plan?

Can someone explain Patreon to me?
I don't think creators need to move on from Patreon, it can be a lifetime job. I plan to support my creators for as long as I still listen to them, it comes out of my entertainment budget.
And even if the Patreon support dies down, you got enough of a portfolio for a new job.
Compared to my impression of regular employment in the US., I would call crowd-funded subscriptions at a scale like Danny's more stable.

GOTY.

Fucking YES.

Best game.

Zaph

I really doubt TF2 failing would lead to a Respawn closure. More likely it would lead to them developing a game that is a straight up continuation of Modern Warfare, with lots of microtransaction hooks.

May as well be the same thing :(

Hopefully the Star Wars money and whatever independent IP deal they have keeps the studio afloat

StoveOven

Banned
I really liked the Rocket League doc, although I'm not sure I liked the parts with Danny talking. I get that he needs to tie everything together into a narrative, but each time it was very jarring.

FStop7

Banned
Seems like there is space in the shooter market for two genres: Super Bro military shooters (CoD, BF, CS:GO) and Saturday Morning Cartoons (Overwatch, Splatoon, Team Fortress 2)

Vinny saw the resistance when the rest of his family wouldn't play Overwatch because of how cartoony and kiddy it appears to be on the surface.

TitanFall 2 straddles the line and maybe it ends up suffering because of it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the Rocket League doc, although I'm not sure I liked the parts with Danny talking. I get that he needs to tie everything together into a narrative, but each time it was very jarring.
Agree, it wasn't really needed for this one. Especially the on screen bits.

Seems like there is space in the shooter market for two genres: Super Bro military shooters (CoD, BF, CS:GO) and Saturday Morning Cartoons (Overwatch.)
COD, Battlefield and especially CS:GO have pretty different audiences.

So, is thread #24 going to be perpetually open like thread #10 still is (seriously, thread #10 was never closed, for whatever reason).

I think its fine actually. Like, I imagine the reason shows dont go with real bans is inadvertantly advertising for free, or if the content on the show gives a bad name to the brand.

For documentary style stuff, I imagine there would be no issue..

kiguel182

I don't think it's just their twitter, the whole game really struggles from the tonal shift between the solemn "here are facts about the war that we're trying to honour" and "here's goofy videogame bullshit".

I actually the think the game strikes an incredible balance and showing how gruesome the war is.

I had a match were I was on the trenches being killed constantly and seeing people die around me and thinking that was evoking the horrors of war.

Strax

I think its fine actually. Like, I imagine the reason shows dont go with real bans is inadvertantly advertising for free, or if the content on the show gives a bad name to the brand.

For documentary style stuff, I imagine there would be no issue..

I was actually reading about this a week ago. I always wondered about because I've never seen blurred logos in TV show from Europe. It's literally just a matter of not wanting to give companies free ads or a competitor of that product buys a lot of adtime at the TV station. No company can ban you for using their logo unless the purpose of the TV show/movie/whatever is to harm their image.

kiguel182

The fact that this game out in 2016 is mildly horrifying to me. My perception of time passing went right the hell out the window this year.

I'm the same. It seemed Clash Royale was an year ago.

I had a terrible first 6 months of the year and I guess that explains how long this year feels.

Mr. F

Banned
The Witness, Mirrors Edge, and Dark Souls 3 being this year is crazy to me.
Mirror's Edge purely because it was such a non starter

I'm the same. It seemed Clash Royale was an year ago.

I had a terrible first 6 months of the year and I guess that explains how long this year feels.

I hear you. Hope it got better!

Rorie said something this week at the end of upf.

I love how this echoes the exact sentiment from a few pages ago that they need better social media people because everything is announced during housekeeping at the end of UPF.

kiguel182

The Witness, Mirrors Edge, and Dark Souls 3 being this year is crazy to me.
Mirror's Edge purely because it was such a non starter

I hear you. Hope it got better!

I love how this echoes the exact sentiment from a few pages ago that they need better social media people because everything is announced during housekeeping at the end of UPF.

It did thank you!

Also, I never finished The Witness. I loved it and I feel shameful because of that. By finish I mean the first goal, not the crazy stuff after.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really expect The Witness up there. Maybe if someone like Drew gets into it now to have one more voice. The others seem to have mostly forgotten about it. I think Brad really liked it, right?

Mr. F

Banned
I don't really expect The Witness up there. Maybe if someone like Drew gets into it now to have one more voice. The others seem to have mostly forgotten about it. I think Brad really liked it, right?

Jeff and Brad really liked it, Dan got super into it with his fiancee. That's all I remember aside from Alex not playing it because it wasn't his thing.

kiguel182

If they remember it (and they will) The Witness is a top 10 lock. Brad loved it for sure and Jeff and Dan were super positive about it.

daveo42

Banned
I hope Mirror's Edge at least gets a mention on the Biggest Disappointment list. I played a little of it and while it looked cool, I wasn't really a fan of the sequel. First one was pretty great. Catalyst made too many missteps for me.

The Witness will get a spot I'm sure. Jeff and Brad played the game to death after release and seemed to love the
world puzzles
but seemingly got burnt out on solving puzzle after puzzle. I never finished it either, but heard the final section was kind of rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom