• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had fun with Catalyst, but it was a disappointing sequel overall. The movement system was still awesome, just wish they hadnt made it an open world game and cluttered it up.

daveo42

Banned
Inside will place, just below The Witness and DOOM. Titanfall 2 will be on there. Uncharted 4 will be #10 if Dan pushes for it to be on there. Dark Souls 3 and Mafia 3 will more than likely show up too. Still unsure of what is actually in the top spot or what else will round it out.

Edit: Oh right...Overwatch.

kiguel182

Alex needs to defend Overwatch with his life. I'm counting on The Wolf to have it high on the list!

EDIT: I play video-games just to know what is happening come GOTY discussions.

Lunar FC

I agree with Danny and Drew about how awesome it is to hear how different each car sounds. I remmember how awful the Force India's sounded when I went. Sounded like it was backfiring upon acceleration.

Strax

Inside will place, just below The Witness and DOOM. Titanfall 2 will be on there. Uncharted 4 will be #10 if Dan pushes for it to be on there. Dark Souls 3 and Mafia 3 will more than likely show up too. Still unsure of what is actually in the top spot or what else will round it out.

Edit: Oh right...Overwatch.

Mafia 3 won't even sniff the top 10.

Did Jeff even ever finish Inside?

hah

oti

Banned
Alex needs to defend Overwatch with his life. I'm counting on The Wolf to have it high on the list!

EDIT: I play video-games just to know what is happening come GOTY discussions.

I'm thinking about buying Superhot just to be prepared for GOTY spoilers. Other than that I'm ok I think. Not much else to spoil or any other big surprises this year I feel like.

Nobody remembers Inside since its gameplay was just as unremarkable as LIMBO's. But omg the ending you guys. So smart and thoughtful you guys. Whatever, its atmosphere is worth it in the end.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions for GOTY. (I've played it for an hour or something so far.)

FStop7

Banned
Don't forget the flaming hot sequel to 2012's GOTY arrived in 2016, too:

I picked up XCOM 2 for the Xbone in my quest to find a fun, turn-based combat game to take the place of FTL. I originally tried it on my PC but it's old and the performance was terrible.

The game has a really good aesthetic going on. That Syd Mead futuristic look, clean with a sinister taint of oppression barely veiled beneath the surface. There are a lot of changes to the game's mechanics, but the one that I appreciate is that they followed through on limiting the AI's awareness so you can move around undetected and set traps. The lack of being able to take the initiative was a real weakness of the first game.

But holy FUCK is this game difficult. I have it set to Regular and I got absolutely massacred on the second mission! I mean if this is a 30 to 50 mission campaign then I am absolutely boned. But there was a time when I thought FTL was impossibly difficult, too. But XCOM's got a lot more moving parts to deal with during a fight than FTL does, to say the least.

I'd say that Firaxis sacrificed any hopes of this game repeating its previous success by ramping the difficulty up this high. I mean as a fan of the original series I do appreciate it, but god damn. I'm not used to getting so brutally slapped around by a game when I'm on my second mission beyond the tutorial.

repeater

I don't think Dark Souls 3 will make their top 10 either. Bloodborne couldn't get on there in what was arguably a weaker year, and that was at least a Souls-game that shook up the formula a bit and tried something new. Even though Brad and Jason enjoyed DSIII, they both mentioned it feeling familiar and sort of like a "Best of Souls" entry. Getting that label will kill its chances in the GOTY considerations, I think.

Don't forget the flaming hot sequel to 2012's GOTY arrived in 2016, too:

I picked up XCOM 2 for the Xbone in my quest to find a fun, turn-based combat game to take the place of FTL. I originally tried it on my PC but it's old and the performance was terrible.

The game has a really aesthetic going on. Limiting the AI's awareness so you can move around undetected and set traps is a huge addition, to say the least.

But holy FUCK is this game difficult. I have it set to Regular and I got absolutely massacred on the second mission! I mean if this is a 30 to 50 mission campaign then I am absolutely boned. But there was a time when I thought FTL was impossibly difficult, too. But XCOM's got a lot more moving parts to deal with during a fight than FTL does, to say the least.

I'd say that Firaxis sacrificed any hopes of this game repeating its previous success by ramping the difficulty up this high. I mean as a fan of the original series I do appreciate it, but god damn. I'm not used to getting so brutally slapped around by a game when I'm on my second mission beyond the tutorial.

And they added the grazing mechanic, which late game almost made me hurl my computer through a window.

kiguel182

I'm thinking about buying Superhot just to be prepared for GOTY spoilers. Other than that I'm ok I think. Not much else to spoil or any other big surprises this year I feel like.

Nobody remembers Inside since its gameplay was just as unremarkable as LIMBO's. But omg the ending you guys. So smart and thoughtful you guys. Whatever, its atmosphere is worth it in the end.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions for GOTY. (I've played it for an hour or something so far.)

One of the reasons I played Doom was because of GOTY. Aside from Inside I don't know what's left that I really want to play.

I'm buying Oxenfree soon but that's not because of Giant Bomb. I might try to finish The Witness so I don't have to avoid spoilers but I don't know how going back to it is going to feel like.

oti

Banned
One of the reasons I played Doom was because of GOTY. Aside from Inside I don't know what's left that I really want to play.

I'm buying Oxenfree soon but that's not because of Giant Bomb. I might try to finish The Witness so I don't have to avoid spoilers but I don't know how going back to it is going to feel like.

Man, once I stopped playing for a few days I was completely out of The Witness. I don't care about the puzzles or the story anymore.

This year is very meat and potatoes in a weird way. Uncharted is Uncharted, Overwatch is a great new TF2, Hitman is a good Hitman. FF XV could be the biggest AAA surprise if it ends up being phenomenal.

Played the DOOM demo. Didn't like it but at least I get why others like it.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm not sure Uncharted will even make the list. Maybe in a Witcher 3-like "this seems good and we should have played more of it" sort of way I guess.

get superhot
d56924eeb9e5354e5eb784c7e2976fd542098aa3.jpg

oti

Banned
Well they are putting out content

I've been watching a bit of EZA lately (the Dragon Quest Builders videos got me) and the amount of content those guys crank out is amazing. They are "just" streams mind you but still. So many different games. Worst thing about them is they always sing when someone subscribes. Lame.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I had fun with Catalyst, but it was a disappointing sequel overall. The movement system was still awesome, just wish they hadnt made it an open world game and cluttered it up.

I dunno, I started to like the Open World, simply because I had fun running around. I ended up 100% completing the game, though I still prefer the original.
But by god was the story a bunch of drivel.

Why can't Giant Bomb produce quality #content like this:
8JeardO.jpg

1 Million views. Just kill me already

pizzacat

Banned
I've been watching a bit of EZA lately (the Dragon Quest Builders videos got me) and the amount of content those guys crank out is amazing. They are "just" streams mind you but still. So many different games. Worst thing about them is they always sing when someone subscribes. Lame.
That's what happens when your business model mirrors shenmue 3

You literally go crazy

FStop7

Banned
Looking back at this year's releases is an eye opener. This has been a big, big year.

Remember The Division?

How about Far Cry Primal?

Quantum Break, remember?

A new Deus Ex game, a new XCOM game, a new DOOM game, a new King of Fighters game, a WoW expansion, a new Mirror's Edge game, a new Street Fighter game

The Witness and Quadrilateral Cowboy finally arrived. We learned what Firewatch is.

That's just off of the top of my head.

I dunno, I started to like the Open World, simply because I had fun running around. I ended up 100% completing the game, though I still prefer the original.
But by god was the story a bunch of drivel.

Yea I could see that. I should have been more specific, I felt like they added a bunch of open world bloat (collectibles etc) just because most big games are open world. Like I said, I loved the movement system and that did make the exploration fun. Agreed at the story lol

repeater

Yeah, I mean Waypoint put out 72 hours of content in the last 3 days, I bet GB didn't even put out half as much video.
I mean.. they had 50 people in the control room and nearly broke themselves from lack of sleep. But except for that, it's a perfectly valid comparison, I guess.

Meneses

Just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider. It was alright. But holy shit I don't know how anyone could play that game originally, before the recent patch that fixed the aiming. That was rough.

Overall I enjoyed the more puzzle-y side content (the actual Tombs... it's weird that they are mostly relegated to optional stuff) much more than the main game.

I think my biggest issue with it is the lack of its own identity, it feels like it's trying to be everything at once: now it's an Uncharted clone (which is ironic), full of cinematic jumps, QTEs, stuff breaking etc. but without any of the charm. It has Detective vision, executions, XP, hunting, crafting, skill trees, side quests, collectibles and all those open world trappings, leaderboards, burn cards, you name it, they got it.

I don't know, I feel like it just doesn't fit. But I suppose an "adventure" style Tomb Raider based on puzzles and traversal with minimal combat probably won't sell these days.

edit: this reminded me that Brad, Dan and maybe a couple others really liked it so it could make their top 10.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yea I could see that. I should have been more specific, I felt like they added a bunch of open world bloat (collectibles etc) just because most big games are open world. Like I said, I loved the movement system and that did make the exploration fun. Agreed at the story lol

Yeah the whole "Collect 800 chip things" was just somebody going "Uhm....add something to do!". I did like how all the main missions were uniquely designed and not just set in the regular open world. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. Arkham Knight was terrible in that regard.

Looking back at this year's releases is an eye opener. This has been a big, big year.

Remember The Division?

How about Far Cry Primal?

Quantum Break, remember?

If you told me all those games came out in 2015, I would have believed you.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there any way I can automate download of video [HD] files for Chrono Trigger endurance run and MGScanlon [MGS4 and MGSV]?

I swear last I checked The Addams Family was not on Netflix but suddenly, there it is.

On a side note, it turns out Christina Ricci was born on the exact same day on same year as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom