• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The old games on the UPF are the good games
The Dan, Jason, Drew 'I just found this thing on Steam' games are the bad games.

Meneses

Oh, totally, but I think there's plenty of stuff from that era that's still fun, even if it's as a brief diversion.

I mean, it's interesting from a historical point of view for sure, but there are only so many bad games with annoying sounds a man can take.

I think stuff like ZX Spectrum, MSX, C64 and the like start becoming way more bearable / actually good.

edit: a lot of the games from this latest video aren't that bad, actually.

Peru

I love seeing Atari games on the QL. I got into gaming with the 8 bit era so that stuff is fascinating to me. I just went through that old Ryan and Jeff series recently.

QOW5W9K.png

jaina

http://i.imgur.com/QOW5W9K.png
Yeah, they should I would really appreciate it if they play at least the first 4 chapters before the QL, so it's not all exposition and has some variety.
Considering how many demos and footage are out there, they are in no rush.

There are two eras of the old games

pre-NES: the old games are bad

NES-and up: the old games are good

this is basically a fact so don't bother looking it up

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Excited to see ffxv maybe being kinda good. I already expected the narrative to be dumb as rocks anyway so I'm covered on that front.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I find it hard to actually go back to play anything pre ps2, but that's because i have no nostalgia for anything pre ps2.

I find it hard to actually go back to play anything pre ps2, but that's because i have no nostalgia for anything pre ps2.

Also the vast majority of PS1/N64 games have aged like dog shit, unlike good NES/SNES games. That era just doesn't hold up outside of some true classics like Ocarina and Resident Evil 2. And a lot of PS2-era games have aged only marginally better, but I think there's more stuff overall that holds up.

Want to finish REremake tonight.

I just got to the lab.

How much longer do I have? I know I am close but am I in the back 3rd or the back fifth?

Peru

You don't need nostalgia. 16 bit era had some of the most polished, crisp-controllig 2D games made. Unless you hate good games.

Man, Jeff's idea that Darksiders out-Zeldaed Zelda may be his worst opinion to date. It's among the weaker of the Zelda clones I've played, and every Zelda clone has been worse than almost every Zelda game.

Dany

Banned
My Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG Stainless Steel Mug Is probably the best purchase I've made, and it's all due to giant bomb dot com. It keeps hot stuff hot, cold stuff cold.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Nah i can't even think of any nes/snes games i want to play honestly.

I don't care for any NES game. Zelda is boring, Metroid is confusing and Mario doesn't control that well (except Mario 3). Shoot me.
I can think of a couple of SNES games I'd play instantly though. Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Mario World.
I did have a SNES but maybe 5 games for it and you've probably only heard of two of them cause I had a weird taste as a kid.

man, the fuck is going on with some of these opinions right now

I don't like 3D Zeldas because they control like ass

You Won't Believe A Person Could Be This Wrong! Check it out on NBC weekdays at 10PM.

Also Okami is boring as sin. And I'll take Darksiders over Skyward Sword any day of the week, because it's ass.

edit: Man, Brad has put a LOT of work into his diction over the years, huh? Less monotone, less drawly.

KorrZ

Want to finish REremake tonight.

I just got to the lab.

How much longer do I have? I know I am close but am I in the back 3rd or the back fifth?

The lab is pretty much the end game, like maybe an hour left? Depending on how fast you go/if you get stuck.

Planescape Torment might me my favourite game of all time but I can't disagree with you.

The weird thread on gaming side reminded me that I own PS:T on GOG but never played it. Installed it last night and after 2 hours so far I'm really digging the world! A long way to go, but I'm intrigued so far and want to learn more about this place.

Well, I guess that means the first all-hands-on-deck live podcast will happen tomorrow. I hope we get a mailbag, too. We always seem to get some video like that when everyone is in.

Oh okay, that's when I thought they posted it. But as for video, will there be video for the deliberations? I thought I saw someone say that in this thread a while back.

I doubt it. I think people speculated there could be, since they do the Bombcast live now. Maybe they'll release video of the raw, unedited discussions afterwards. There's no way their going to show the deliberations live.

Oh okay, that's when I thought they posted it. But as for video, will there be video for the deliberations? I thought I saw someone say that in this thread a while back.

Usually its done in a podcast ala Bombcast form but with them now doing that in video, maybe they could do GOTY as well?

I wonder what skits will they do this year (if any?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom