• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that you edited out the racist part but kept this.

This is so far out of line I can't even make fun of this. What the fuck. Are you trying to impress us all with your "progressive" views?

No, I'm sick of McElroy talk and I'm sick of them saying 'boy' all the time and how people think that's funny of them to say that constantly.

Strax

PAIGE_08262014jg_0033b.jpg

NEW PAIGE

Because Powerbombcast

edit: damnit

you mean the one where they constantly say boy?

I mean, let's not pretend that they're not privileged white males whose use of 'boy' is questionable.

I always read it as a subversion of people calling women "girls," and the way people who run in video game twitter social justice circles like Austin and Alex also use the word "boy" like that makes me doubt malicious intentions.

I always read it as a subversion of people calling women "girls," and the way people who run in video game twitter social justice circles like Austin and Alex also use the word "boy" like that makes me doubt malicious intentions.

It doesn't remove the historic negative connotations associated with it, though.

robotrock

Banned
Vinny (obviously)
Alex (also obvious)
Dan Ryckert?? (I feel like maybe because he'll be a regular in a month's time)
Jeff Gerstmann?? (he always guests on the beastcast when they're around I think)

Would love to have Drew on one of these at some point and talk about airplanes

I finished Recore.
Don't play Recore

Holy shit that ending

I knew there was going to be a grind in the last quarter of the game before I even bought the game, but nothing could prepare me for the door requirements in the last dungeon. The orb requirements were like double what I had at the time. I was absolutely stunned. It's like half the game got cut.

Some other perspectives on the endgame of ReCore, from the OT: Link 1 / Link 2 / Link 3 / Link 4

It doesn't remove the historic negative connotations associated with it, though.

Boy is a word that still has other meanings aside from just being condensed venom, so I don't know the solution if it bothers you in any context. Tweeting someone in that space I mentioned before will probably lead to a better conversation than I can provide.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
God damn they were harsh on SFV on this week's Bombcast. Like, they kinda went too far? I get the terrible launch complaints and stuff, but what is Jason's problem with it? He didn't really say. I don't understand why they're doubting Capcom's support plans either, they have done well on that end.

And it's GotY talk week, so yeah...this will be the tone to expect. Ugh, I can already see myself writing a dumb defensive post.

edit: Oh and to clarify (do I really need to?), I don't think the McElroys are racists because they have a "boy" running joke...

kiguel182

An award show that is mostly a marketing stunt is dumb as hell. It's like they try to have their cake and eat it too. I'll watch the trailers tomorrow.

Only way I would watch the full thing is if GB commented over it. Hopefully they do PSX because these things without them are just dull.

oti

Banned
God damn they were harsh on SFV on this week's Bombcast. Like, they kinda went too far? I get the terrible launch complaints and stuff, but what is Jason's problem with it? He didn't really say. I don't understand why they're doubting Capcom's support plans either, they have done well on that end.

And it's GotY talk week, so yeah...this will be the tone to expect. Ugh, I can already see myself writing a dumb defensive post.

edit: Oh and to clarify (do I really need to?), I don't think the McElroys are racists because they have a "boy" running joke...

Since Jeff is locked in his "this anime nonsense fighter is the best fighting game of the year and I'm totally not saying this as a jab to SFV no I totally mean it you guys" mode all hope is lost anyway. You have Brad who liked Vanilla Destiny for god's sake but can't say a thing about SFV without shitting on it, you have Dan, Drew, Alex and Vinny who are irrelevant in this discussion and you have Jason, who will say his "but I really liked it okay?" once and be done with it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Since Jeff is locked in his "this anime nonsense fighter is the best fighting game of the year and I'm totally not saying this as a jab to SFV no I totally mean it you guys" mode all hope is lost anyway. You have Brad who liked Vanilla Destiny for god's sake but can't say a thing about SFV without shitting on it, you have Dan, Drew, Alex and Vinny who are irrelevant in this discussion and you have Jason, who will say his "but I really liked it okay?" once and be done with it.
Even Jason seemed super down on it, so I don't expect that last part. And he hasn't played it much since launch I believe.

(He was also surprisingly terrible at it)

oti

Banned

This is great! Love the idea. Thanks for sharing.

Even Jason seemed super down on it, so I don't expect that last part. And he hasn't played it much since launch I believe.

(He was also surprisingly terrible at it)

Eh, I bet if all you're hearing about a game you like is other people constantly shitting on it even if they're shitting on parts you (and let's be honest, they too) don't care at all about at some point your own enthusiasm will take a hit eventually.

Hindl

Just going off of Vinny's tangent about No Man's Sky, I dunno why, but the idea of finding a game patch as a physical object in the game world and taking it some place in the world to unlock it and install it is strangely interesting to me. It's a horrible idea, but I think it would be hilarious if some developer just did it as a dumb thing. As long as it's some basic patch and not a patch fixing huge bugs, performance, or creating DLC

He spent months defending it and hoping it gets better, and I think it's just eventually gotten to him. Sometimes the most ardent defenders of something become its most vocal critics. Because once you lose them, you must've really fucked up.

and those guys are irrelevant because

He spent months defending it and hoping it gets better, and I think it's just eventually gotten to him. Sometimes the most ardent defenders of something become its most vocal critics. Because once you lose them, you must've really fucked up.

That and the fact that they have an f2p model without being f2p. If they had the base for free that anyone can play, and have characters unlocked through in game currency(Can they? Haven't played it~) and then have all the dlc costumes and what not cost cash, I could see it being more well received then it was as a 60 dollar game.

Same thing with No Mans Sky-if it was released as an Early Access title and cost $30-$40, I could see it being more well received then it was as a full price game and how that came out.

Damn dude you really like Recore

Yeah :) Figured my voice alone wouldn't count for much, in trying to defend the game, so I did the work of collecting a bunch of others' views into one post, collecting a bunch of info/videos into one place and so on. Enough for folks to maybe consider further research, maybe come to a judgment of their own, if they were really curious about it. But yeah, pretty bummed by the reception the game has gotten overall :(

oti

Banned

"I didn't really play a lot of SFV so I don't have much to add to this discussion".

Come on, don't act stupid. You've been here before. GOTY deliberations aren't new to you. I'd say the same thing if was was part of the deliberations about games I didn't really care about.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the direction we're going with on why they don't like SFV
Nah, I know Jeff sucks at it and I still want to know his opinion. It's just that for being the fighting game guy at GB and this being his game of choice for a while, he was pretty bad at it. No need to get defensive.

Hindl

That and the fact that they have an f2p model without being f2p. If they had the base for free that anyone can play, and have characters unlocked through in game currency(Can they? Haven't played it~) and then have all the dlc costumes and what not cost cash, I could see it being more well received then it was as a 60 dollar game.

Same thing with No Mans Sky-if it was released as an Early Access title and cost $30-$40, I could see it being more well received then it was as a full price game and how that came out.

If they had just put No Man's Sky in Early Access for $30 and just stuck it in the indie reel trailer instead of creating all this media hype for it, it would've been huge.

How was it a F2P model when it had a standard sized roster at launch? There's no doubt that it cribbed a F2P approach to expanding it (which is a much more consumer friendly model than releasing expansions) but claiming it used a F2P model isn't true.

The multiplayer focus fucked them, but that's another matter and after seeing how abhorrent the story mode was I don't blame them for giving it a shot.

How was it a F2P model when it had a standard sized roster at launch? There's no doubt that it cribbed a F2P approach to expanding it (which is a much more consumer friendly model than releasing expansions) but claiming it used a F2P model isn't true.

The multiplayer focus fucked them, but that's another matter and after seeing how abhorrent the story mode was I don't blame them for giving it a shot.

SFV adopts the f2p system of offering additional characters for either cash or in game currency. It has a skin system as well. That is an f2p system used by games such as League of Legends or even Killer Instinct.

Not to mention it released incredibly bare bones.

"I didn't really play a lot of SFV so I don't have much to add to this discussion".

Come on, don't act stupid. You've been here before. GOTY deliberations aren't new to you. I'd say the same thing if was was part of the deliberations about games I didn't really care about.

There's a reason they didn't play a lot of it. Dan was over the moon for SFIV, so I think there's something to be said about how V didn't grab him.

There's a reason they didn't play a lot of it. Dan was over the moon for SFIV, so I think there's something to be said about how V didn't grab him.

I'm inclined to think nostalgia was a huge driving force behind the success of SFIV and no matter what V did it wasn't going to make the same kind of sales. Have to imagine that's why Capcom focused on the more hardcore crowd.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Dan's obviously not a real fighting game fan.

I bet that loser has even played single player modes and expects games to meet the minimum standards set by their own predecessors and every game in the genre over the past 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom