• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
If you listen closely during the Beastcast, you can hear a moment where Austin Walker is screaming.

Strax

After thinking about it for some time now I highly doubt I'll resub in 10 months time when my sub is up unless GB make some drastic changes in communication to the community in terms of what type of premium content they'll make and how often.

I know that the biggest fans are always the most critical (which can lead to some annoying dismissive comments from the Duders when valid points are raised) but surely when your biggest fans are talking about not re-subbing it's a warning sign.

And I know, vocal minority, subs going up etc, so maybe not...

hamchan

It was a relatively crap year for games. There's at least five games this year that would have beat Shadow of Mordor if released in the same year.

I think it's more like 15 games that would beat Mordor this year.

It was a weak choice, and the way they were gushing about it without pointing out any flaws made me think they were all taking drugs.

And now we have all these games with the nemesis system

Still don't get the hype over that system. They were all identical mooks with a different skull helmet or whatever. That game was so easy I hardly ever died so I never had like a grudge with any of those guys. When I got to the end of the game and it was all like OH SHIT DOG HERE IS YOUR NEMESIS I was like "who?" It was kind of funny. But yeah, seems like a lot of work for little return, and a system that is actually meaningless if the game is so easy that a decent player never dies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I think it's more like 15 games that would beat Mordor this year.

It was a weak choice, and the way they were gushing about it without pointing out any flaws made me think they were all taking drugs.
The best San Francisco drugs

Ein Bear

I dunno, I agree that Premium content has been incredibly weak for a while now, but I keep my sub going just to show some support for the guys really. A fiver a month isn't a huge amount of money, and I get an enormous amount of enjoyment out of the site every month... even if all that enjoyment is 'free' content.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So that Titanfall 2 campaign was pretty gud. Not life changing that many people are saying, but okay. The spectacle was ramped up so hard in the last two generations that I can't be surprised anymore, and that makes me sad.

I dunno, I agree that Premium content has been incredibly weak for a while now, but I keep my sub going just to show some support for the guys really. A fiver a month isn't a huge amount of money, and I get an enormous amount of enjoyment out of the site every month... even if all that enjoyment is 'free' content.

This is pretty much where I'm at, though I understand people who need/want to be a bit pickier with their money.

Some of it is because in an age of sponsored content and youtubers who are paid to say nice things about games with iffy disclosure, and the lack of editorial focus for MOST of youtube, I think GiantBomb is important. I think the crew has a great veteran perspective and near-unmatched editorial integrity, which is 100% the most important thing to me. I have a hard time fully trusting a lot of other game sources on the internet, but I've never questioned GB and don't see that ever happening.

So that Titanfall 2 campaign was pretty gud. Not life changing that many people are saying, but okay. The spectacle was ramped up so hard in the last two generations that I can't be surprised anymore, and that makes me sad.

I enjoyed the Titanfall 2 campaign a lot and would very much love some single player DLC, but yeah I agree that it's being overstated a bit. Like Jeff said, it feels like they had ideas and then came up with a story to justify them (which is exactly what they did). So far the DOOM campaign is better even though I really prefer the mechanics of Titanfall.

Yeah this is what I've always viewed my subscription as. Basically a patreon before patreon was a thing. Jeff has said numerous times that their subscription was the only reason CBS was interested in them in the first place. If the numbers drop significantly it's likely that CBS decides they don't need some of the staff anymore and the east coast guys would probably be first on the chopping block.

hamchan

Listen, without your support Giant Bomb wouldn't survive in its current form and you'll be seeing Dan in a few years shilling Schick Razor Blades in tacky video game award shows.

2014 had Legend of Grimrock 2, which is a top three game of the generation. It's a shame nobody there played it.
That good, huh? I never finished the first game, is the second that much better?
Listen, without your support Giant Bomb wouldn't survive in its current form and you'll be seeing Dan in a few years shilling Schick Razor Blades in tacky video game award shows.

So you're saying they owe me?

Zaph

100% not resubbing when the time comes. It's just not worth it anymore. The infrequent premium content they put out is incredibly lackluster. If they don't care anymore, why should I?

The ramp up of premium content during that sale, then dropping off completely when it ended was nothing but a lame cash grab, even if unintentional.

There's always some excuse for the lack of content: preE3, post E3, summer lull, too many games, not enough games, GOTY, after GOTY...

And 'work from home' Mondays seem to be panning out so well for them...

The content I enjoy most these days is free anyway. Premium is a tip jar at this point.

yeah, it's pretty much the cycle now, has happened more than once. The days of consistent, varied premium content aren't coming back.

My sub isn't a big expense and is basically my thanks for all the years of content since the Hotspot.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno how i feel about grimrock 2. Haven't played far into it but i honestly preferred the contained levels of the first one.

TraBuch

Banned
The crazy thing about 2014 is that despite being a really weak year, Wolfenstein still somehow got fucking robbed. What the fucking shit, fuck Giant Bomb.

Strax

While I agree a fiver a month isn't a huge amount, it's more that I want to know what I'm buying and that's where communication to the community needs to improve. They put Mario Party Party, Demo Derby and Game Tapes (one of each) on YouTube to get people to sub and resub during the last sale. To me that was a clear statement about making more of this content and a big part of why I resubbed.

Since those videos went up on YouTube there have been 2 Mario Party Parties, 0 Demo Derbies and 0 Game Tapes.

Now my thinking is "What a bummer, I feel like I've been duped" instead of "Well, I enjoy the Bombcast and Quick Looks even though the premium is lacking so I'll support them anyway."

We made them, they better appreciate us!

My sub doesn't run out for months but I'm still happy to keep supporting them as long as I can.

Joeku

The crazy thing about 2014 is that despite being a really weak year, Wolfenstein still somehow got fucking robbed. What the fucking shit, fuck Giant Bomb.

k1opIJp.gif

But replace the thumbs up with a middle finger.

My GotY 2014, that's for damn sure.

hamchan

Premium content is more a consistency problem. They always have droughts and then periods where they overload on content and then have another drought. Maybe just spread it out more. Those Youtubers these days seem smarter, releasing videos that they've recorded weeks, even months previously. Why does Giant Bomb always feel like they're just recording so fast and loose? Are they really at their limit with the amount of video content they can do?

Meneses

I'm also on the "my sub is my way of saying thanks" train, but I really cannot blame anyone who plans on not re-subbing.

Yes, subs help GB stay the way it is, but it's also valid to want some more value for your money. 5$ a month may not seem like much but we have fans from all walks of life and we can't assume it's a meaningless expense.

Actually, i'm going through a rough time financially and if my sub was running out soon I probably wouldn't make it a priority to renew it. But of course, GB still provides a lot of fun with free content.

That good, huh? I never finished the first game, is the second that much better?

In all honesty I can sum it up by saying it's the first game in an open world; think more Dark Souls, less Elder Scrolls. On paper it doesn't sound like it'd be a huge difference, but the added variety and non-linear nature of the game world goes a long way. And that goes for how puzzles and secrets are designed, too. Some of the puzzles rival Talos Principle and The Witness. I jokingly oversell it but in the over thirty hours I spent on my first playthrough, it never let up with the surprises.

Curufinwe

I was surprised a few of them didn't know who Mads Mikkleson was.

And totally unsurprised he's in Death Stranding since Kojima has been tweeting about him a lot for months.

StoveOven

Banned
While I agree a fiver a month isn't a huge amount, it's more that I want to know what I'm buying and that's where communication to the community needs to improve. They put Mario Party Party, Demo Derby and Game Tapes (one of each) on YouTube to get people to sub and resub during the last sale. To me that was a clear statement about making more of this content and a big part of why I resubbed.

Since those videos went up on YouTube there have been 2 Mario Party Parties, 0 Demo Derbies and 0 Game Tapes.

Now my thinking is "What a bummer, I feel like I've been duped" instead of "Well, I enjoy the Bombcast and Quick Looks even though the premium is lacking so I'll support them anyway."

Not that it really matters because I agree with your general sentiment, but they have put out a Demo Derby since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom