• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Mass Effect Andromeda looked neat until they introduced the "collect Lithium" thing. I really don't want to run around a map picking up more elfroot, god dammit.
Crafting is a gameplay gimmick that needs to die a quick and painful death.

An entire generation grew up on Minecraft. Crafting isn't going away.
I hate it too.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Here is my TGA roundup, since EVERYBODY needs to hear my valuable opinion.

Mass Effect looks bloated
Prey would look cool if the shooting looked better
Zelda looks awesome but also super bloated
Death Stranding looks fucking stupid and people should stop praising Kojima for just being weird until he actually manages to tell a good story while being weird. The best story Kojima ever wrote was also the least weird. (MGS 3)
I don't care about Guardians of the Galaxy even though the movie was alright.

justjim89

Today's Beastcast was great. I was hoping they'd double up on Jeffs. Also Gerstmann's reaction to the Death Stranding trailer was pretty hilarious.

My big takeaway from TGA's is that Mads Mikkelson would be perfect to play Geralt in The Witcher movie.

TraBuch

Banned
Here is my TGA roundup, since EVERYBODY needs to hear my valuable opinion.

Mass Effect looks bloated
Prey would look cool if the shooting looked better
Zelda looks awesome but also super bloated
Death Stranding looks fucking stupid and people should stop praising Kojima for just being weird until he actually manages to tell a good story while being weird. The best story Kojima ever wrote was also the least weird. (MGS 3)
I don't care about Guardians of the Galaxy even though the movie was alright.
The best story Kojima wrote was Policenauts.

It looked fine, but not amazing to me. It literally looks like Mass Effect on current hardware. Good enough for me, but I hope the story delivers.

The animations were awful, particularly on the main character. The disarm during the dialogue sequence was especially embarrassing. Enemies don't react at all to being shot, which makes the guns look lame. RE4 figured that shit out a decade ago. And Bioware is not exactly a developer that focuses on that stuff, so I doubt it will be fixed.

The VGA Overwatch goty thread on gaming side gives me life

I dont even care if Overwatch is in the top 10 GB list anymore, Ive had my fill

pizzacat

Banned
Start a series where Brad plays a video game he sucks at (read:all of them) and everyone in the office laughs at him

Make it premium

Many others and I are back in

Peru

I think "defends Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS" is my new metric for "too far gone"

The content that is in the game is ok. The 100 Nintendo levels actually seems like a better collection of 2D super mario worlds than, say NSMB 2. Mario scholars have pointed out that already. So there's compelling Mario content there. If they'd called it "a tribute to mario maker", or "super mario pick up n play"that would be acceptable.

But it's not a Mario Maker game. The Maker part in this is worthless so it feels unfathomable that they try to sell it as that. And I just can't see why there would be technical limitations leading to this either.

The Keighleys have single-handedly killed AAA single-player games by awarding Overwatch GOTY. The writing totally wasn't on the wall for that. It's all Geoff's fault!

oti

Banned
Start a series where Brad plays a video game he sucks at (read:all of them) and everyone in the office laughs at him

Make it premium

Great idea.

I think "defends Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS" is my new metric for "too far gone"

There are legit use cases for it, they are very limited though. It doesn't need to exist though tbh but 60m 3DS>10m Wii U so it makes business sense. Dirty business sense.

Let me tell you about the Sony fans on GAF...

Early PS3 era must have been hell for them.

Make it premium

I have a few ideas for Premium Content.

1. Brad is forced to open and play a game he still has in the shrinkwrap.
2. A Wonka-esque nightmare in which members of the Giant Bomb staff are forced to play terrible games from their favorite genres. (Dan: 3D platformers, Jeff: L-trigger, R-trigger shooters, Brad: dumb loot games, Jason: tropey anime games, etc.)
3. A show where they only play bizarre spin-off games from popular franchises.

What if it was a budget game called Mario Made that just had the 100 Nintendo levels and a bunch of the best community levels?

Meguro

Banned
There's lots of ideas for premium content but maybe they should focus on putting out stuff for series that already exist somewhat consistently.

What if it was a budget game called Mario Made that just had the 100 Nintendo levels and a bunch of the best community levels?

If it was something other than literally "Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS," you could judge it as such.

Also, it seems like a lot of those 100 Nintendo levels are either remakes or ones featured in the 10 Mario Challenge in the Wii U version.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

2. A Wonka-esque nightmare in which members of the Giant Bomb staff are forced to play terrible games from their favorite genres. (Dan: 3D platformers, Jeff: L-trigger, R-trigger shooters, Brad: dumb loot games, Jason: tropey anime games, etc.)

What if, instead, they just do nothing?

pizzacat

Banned

First one should be called brad sees a Shrink and every episode starts with Jeff on a high chair talking to Brad about his spending problems and how it affects him

Peru

Mario Maker (Wii U) is honestly one of the best video game products ever put out. There's no foreseeable future where I wouldn't want to play it regularly.

There's lots of ideas for premium content but maybe they should focus on putting out stuff for series that already exist somewhat consistently.

Well that's not happening. A lot of those features need specific groups of people, and that has to be way harder to line up. They need stuff that's someone grabbing one other random person and then recording.

imBask

Banned
Mario Maker (Wii U) is honestly one of the best video game products ever put out. There's no foreseeable future where I wouldn't want to play it regularly.

the hurdle of having to play on my WiiU is enough to stop me and I don't feel like buying it again on the 3DS

it's a great game, the WiiU is just that bad

Meguro

Banned
Well that's not happening. A lot of those features need specific groups of people, and that has to be way harder to line up. They need stuff that's someone grabbing one other random person and then recording.

Way harder to line up?
THEY WORK IN THE SAME OFFICE WITH THE SAME HOURS.
They aren't actually fucking Youtubers.

I get what you mean but still.

Strax

I don't agree with that. While Demo Derby is best with Dan, Drew and Jeff I'd love if Jeff and Drew did Demo Derby on the West coast and Dan and Vinny on the East coast. Game Tapes with Drew and/or Jason would also be cool.
HitDan, if they do season 2 can be done via Internet.

pizzacat

Banned
Way harder to line up?

Brad is in the office but people don't know where he is till the cameras start rolling

Rumors are that he sleeps in the air vents

oti

Banned
Sure, but anyone who gives this game a score of, let's say, 8 or above is out of their minds.

It's still Mario, best platformer around. Also telling 3DS-only owners the game is super bad because there's a better version for a console they don't own is kinda pointless in a review. It's unquestionably worse, but if you want 2D Mario on your 3DS it still has got its place.

Besides, Mario Maker is 10 so 8 is possible. :p

It's still Mario, best platformer around. Also telling 3DS-only owners the game is super bad because there's a better version for a console they don't own is kinda pointless in a review. It's unquestionably worse, but if you want 2D Mario on your 3DS it still has got its place.

Besides, Mario Maker is 10 so 8 is possible. :p

It's half the game Super Mario Maker is, so a 5 seems more appropriate.

Way harder to line up?

They have meetings and shit. And they have to record other stuff, too.

I don't agree with that. While Demo Derby is best with Dan, Drew and Jeff I'd love if Jeff and Drew did Demo Derby on the West coast and Dan and Vinny on the East coast. Game Tapes with Drew and/or Jason would also be cool.
HitDan, if they do season 2 can be done via Internet.

I agree, but I think that's the way they feel. Like Demo Derby is a Drew, Dan, Jeff thing, period.

oti

Banned
It's half the game Super Mario Maker is, so a 5 seems more appropriate.

That is also a legit way to look at this. I just don't think it helps anyone. If you only have a 3DS and are ok with not sharing your levels, maybe go for it. If you already own the Wii U version DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY WHY ARE YOU EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT.

daveo42

Banned
ND doesn't have to win GotY every year they release a game. People just like Blizzard and competitive MP a bit more than Drake and his murdering ways.

Brad is in the office but people don't know where he is till the cameras start rolling

Rumors are that he sleeps in the air vents

Sounds comfy.

Xater

That is also a legit way to look at this. I just don't think it helps anyone. If you only have a 3DS and are ok with not sharing your levels, maybe go for it. If you already own the Wii U version DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY WHY ARE YOU EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT.

But you don't even have a way to properly look for levels. This version is useless.

If you have a 3DS, buy Pokemon instead. I know it has Popplio, but you don't have to pick him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom