• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

I know (or I think / hope) the Brad thing is mostly playful ribbing, but I don't think he actually said he was gonna do it, it was more like "I'll try to see if I can do something" (I don't really remember). Sometimes stuff happens that prevents plans from taking form.

It would be great, though, if their GotY thing this year had a running theme of Brad just lazying around in the background during everything, or a "fake" Extra Life stream where it's just Brad sleeping - kinda like the "Brad's bad at games" thing from a few years ago.

of course I am...I love Brad. Would never say anything bad about him.

But I guess its hard to convey on a massage board.

I wonder what GB's GOTY theme will be this year... I think the last 2 years they seem to have filmed most of their videos by themselves at their homes (documentary stuff in 2014 and YouTube stuff in 2015) and I wonder if they will do that again since they have even less people present compared to last year. I know we'll probably never get back to 2012 quality again, but I still generally like their GOTY stuff.

Santar

I never expected the Brad stream to happen anyway.

The GOTY skits themselves I don't really care about tbh. The Jeff horder thing was amazing, the rest is usually meh.

GOTY deliberations is where it's at.

In a weird way I can sense my interest in the normal podcast fading though. I used to listen to the newest episode all the time throughout the week and every time I went for sleep. This stopped all of a sudden for some reason. I'd rather have some video on my laptop playing for background noise instead.

#justmillennialthings

Yeah I never cared for the skits either, they just come off as cringeworthy (no offense to the guys). So to me all the resources they pour into the video side of the GOTY stuff is a waste pf resources. But hey if most folks enjoy them.

All I need are the guys being themselves. Those end of the year retro game streams we got a couple of years like this one are some of my favorite pieces of content on the site.
I wish they'd do another one, play some of those billions of old games fans have sent in mailbags or have Jeff bring in some stuff, would be so awesome.

Yeah I never cared for the skits either, they just come off as cringeworthy (no offense to the guys). So to me all the resources they pour into the video side of the GOTY stuff is a waste pf resources. But hey if most folks enjoy them.

All I need are the guys being themselves. Those end of the year retro game streams we got a couple of years like this one are some of my favorite pieces of content on the site.
I wish they'd do another one, play some of those billions of old games fans have sent in mailbags or have Jeff bring in some stuff, would be so awesome.

Agreed... Those videos where Jeff brings in a giant tub of _____ consoles video games and they just play and chat for a few hours are some of my favorite stuff as well.

Lijik

I love the goty skits and its some of the easiest content to share with friends who havent heard of the site because theyre fairly quick and self contained

kiyomi

My subscription was up today, for the first time, I had a hard time deciding whether it was worth it to me any more. Figure I'll give it another year and see what happens. I really hope the site moves forward in some way in that time span, whether it's a new hire with a bit more energy and passion to make interesting #content or if the current crew have any cool ideas that can be turned into features. Right now it feels like things are running on empty, and save for the Hitbrad videos, I haven't really enjoyed a whole lot they've been putting out this year.

I'm subbed until December 2017 somehow but if I had to renew now I definitely would not. Game Tapes and Demo Derby are the only premium things I would miss and those barely come out any more.

Hmm, no UPF on the schedule.

The one with the whole crew playing smah bros./mount your friends from a few years ago was one of my favourites.

I'm subbed until December 2017 somehow but if I had to renew now I definitely would not. Game Tapes and Demo Derby are the only premium things I would miss and those barely come out any more.

Same. They need to slacking or fix whatever it is they need to fix to get something resembling a schedule going. They're coasting so hard right now.

oti

Banned
I re-subbed during their last sale. If I had to re-subscribe right now, I'd definitely not do it. Hurts to say it, but it's the truth.

brads extra life stream is not happening, he lied to us about it. nothing new here.

i just hope we get some cool goty videos

Last year was lame because they didn't have a segment each day where they played their personal GOTY for 30 mins.

I loved that in... 2013? When they did Far Cry 3 and XCOM.

It sucks that almost everything they do now isn't as good as it used to be. I know it's been 8 years and that's a lot of content to compare it to, but still :(

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You know, what Waypoint did was kind of smart. They have been pushing pieces of that 72h stream for a month or so. GB uploads 80h of footage and never mentions it again. Not that it has the same production quality or anything.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Probably gonna get flamed for this but I think Uncharted is one of the most overrated series of all time. Looks great and is definitely a technical accomplishment but man, feel like I have played 100 games like it... just feels stale/boring when playing it, idk how else to describe it :\. That being said I have only played 1 and 2 (years after they came out). I probably will play 4 someday, but not really high on my priority list.

Nah I'm there with you. I appreciate that it exists, and the craftsmanship that goes into them is astounding, but the gameplay felt perfunctory every time I tried to dip into the series

oti

Banned
Last year was lame because they didn't have a segment each day where they played their personal GOTY for 30 mins.

I loved that in... 2013? When they did Far Cry 3 and XCOM.

That was by far my favourite part. Loved those segments. Also nice to see them revisit something which they rarely ever do.

That was by far my favourite part. Loved those segments. Also nice to see them revisit something which they rarely ever do.

Yeah, the skits that year were also fantastic (mocumentary year I think?) but that was my favourite part.

GOTY is still absolutely godly for the podcasts, but the video to go alongside it has dripped in quality.

Why not? Meet people, have a chat, party...

Cyp5UMmUAAAruMJ.jpg

I cant be the only person who looked at this and went "young adam boyes"

daveo42

Banned
Probably gonna get flamed for this but I think Uncharted is one of the most overrated series of all time. Looks great and is definitely a technical accomplishment but man, feel like I have played 100 games like it... just feels stale/boring when playing it, idk how else to describe it :\. That being said I have only played 1 and 2 (years after they came out). I probably will play 4 someday, but not really high on my priority list.

UC4 is definitely a step in the right direction in making gameplay a bit more enjoyable and varied, but I understand where you're coming from. Playing UC1-3 back to back in the Uncharted Collection helped to highlight how most of the combat and traversal from start to finish are the same thing copy/pasted over really awesome looking sections. Don't get me wrong, I have played and really like all four, but gameplay overall wears pretty thin and what drives the game is more the visuals and Indy-esque story lines, regardless of how ludicrous they may be. That and the set pieces.

Almost panicked because I thought that I'd have to do my Friday inventory report without the Beast cast. Close call! Also, Guzma battle theme is the best Pokemon music since...ever?

demidar

Nah I'm there with you. I appreciate that it exists, and the craftsmanship that goes into them is astounding, but the gameplay felt perfunctory every time I tried to dip into the series

As a gameplay-first kind of guy, I was bored to tears by UC2. Got up to the much vaunted train level and just went "I can't do this anymore".

Dineren

Banned
Anyone want future GOTY winner Stardew Valley? I've got an extra from Humble Monthly. I also have an extra Rebel Galaxy if anyone wants that.

pizzacat

Banned
As a gameplay-first kind of guy, I was bored to tears by UC2. Got up to the much vaunted train level and just went "I can't do this anymore".
I can't believe that game makes you play that section twice as if it were some big thing

Platforming, again.

Don't quote me on this but I remember the tutorial showing up again for the second part

kiyomi

My subscription was up today, for the first time, I had a hard time deciding whether it was worth it to me any more. Figure I'll give it another year and see what happens. I really hope the site moves forward in some way in that time span, whether it's a new hire with a bit more energy and passion to make interesting #content or if the current crew have any cool ideas that can be turned into features. Right now it feels like things are running on empty, and save for the Hitbrad videos, I haven't really enjoyed a whole lot they've been putting out this year.

Eh, on further consideration I just unsubbed. Apparently I've already been charged though so hopefully Rorie can sort me out.

Curufinwe

As a gameplay-first kind of guy, I thought it was one of the best third person shooters of the generation. Not as good as Vanquish, but rar better than overrated garbage like Gears of War with its shockingly stupid buddy AI and unspeakably bad checkpointing.

mintyice

Same. They need to slacking or fix whatever it is they need to fix to get something resembling a schedule going. They're coasting so hard right now.

I re-subbed during their last sale. If I had to re-subscribe right now, I'd definitely not do it. Hurts to say it, but it's the truth.

I think i'm going to let my sub lapse as well. The lack of content is a bit much.

Should we start protest lapsing? Complaining has never worked

100% not resubbing when the time comes. It's just not worth it anymore. The infrequent premium content they put out is incredibly lackluster. If they don't care anymore, why should I?

The ramp up of premium content during that sale, then dropping off completely when it ended was nothing but a lame cash grab, even if unintentional.

There's always some excuse for the lack of content: preE3, post E3, summer lull, too many games, not enough games, GOTY, after GOTY...

And 'work from home' Mondays seem to be panning out so well for them...

The content I enjoy most these days is free anyway. Premium is a tip jar at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom