• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like TLOU 2 is gonna be the dark (middle?) chapter. lol

I seriously need to play the first one since i have owned a copy of the Remastered version for a while now and havent even booted it up lol

Salarians

It'd be nice if Knack 2 was good. I actually kind of liked the character designs in the first game but playing it was so very unenjoyable.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You know, these current systems are kind of weak in terms of kids games. That's what Knack is for, he even announced it like that.
I like the push behind that. Family console and all that.

Salarians

I'm hoping it's the worst game ever made.
image.php

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I do not care for his games, but I love listening to Kasavin talk about games.

I would subscribe to his youtube channel if he had one.

Did anyone else think older Ellie kinda looked like Tess?

I actually thought she resembled Jessica Chastain (Interstellar), which is funny to me, because I thought the girl who played the younger version of her Interstellar character would be a pretty good Ellie in terms of age and appearance if the movie adaptation of The Last of Us ever gets really going.

Watched TLOU2 trailer a handful of times. Man, I adore these characters but even with my love for them I so wish that we weren't getting a continuation. TLOU should have ended and that's that. The ending to that game was about as perfect as you could get for a story in any medium. I swear. Maaaaannnnn.

I'm kind of a hypocrite though, in a sense that I'm going to buy and enjoy this game a whole bunch but part of me still wishes that TLOU was a one and done kind of deal

DOOOOOOOOOM

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TLOU sold like 10 million copies. They were never not going to make a sequel. Playing as Ellie and set years down the road gives them a bunch of things to play with. It will be good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
TLOU sold like 10 million copies. They were never not going to make a sequel. Playing as Ellie and set years down the road gives them a bunch of things to play with. It will be good.

You can make a sequel without reusing the same characters

kiguel182

It will probably be good but I really wish they had left it at that. The game felt so satisfying when it ended and it was probably the best ending I've seen in a game.

I'm excited for The Last of Us Part II, Naughty Dog's on a streak of fantastic games, if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt about doing right by a franchise it's them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Austin has a good article up on why NaughtyDog games just don't work for him. It's an interesting perspective, for sure. Increased graphical fidelity and believably of a play space makes its concessions in the name of being a linear video game that much more apparent.

This very strongly echoes a lot of my thoughts about not just Naughty Dog games but AAA in general, with notable exceptions. Thank god there's never been a more diverse time to be playing games. Its funny but the mechanisms of open world games often chafe as much for me in their limitations as the corridor situation he describes here, with the notable exception of Sleeping Dogs

Its not really about "linear" vs "freedom" for me, so much as about whether constraints on the player's freedom feel acknowledged or weather they try to conceal them. I can't get into GTA because I feel like the game is trying to present itself as more...realized than it actually is, same as the Naughty Dog issue Austin describes. But Hitman, for example, is so clearly gamey and it leans far enough into that that I don't mind. I'm fresh off Doom and its similar. Its not that those games are tongue in cheek, its that they have a level of self awareness that makes them easier for me to engage with

Austin has a good article up on why NaughtyDog games just don't work for him. It's an interesting perspective, for sure. Increased graphical fidelity and believably of a play space makes its concessions in the name of being a linear video game that much more apparent.

While I don't agree with this thesis about their full games, this Chloe trailer was excessive in directing the player, to where I don't know why there is control.

The Technomancer

Or, to put it another way, I guess I'm more interested in games that are more clearly exercises in design (even narrative design) than those pitched on fantasy fulfillment (perhaps because the fantasy always, inevitably breaks, in some way that can't be anticipated), though I absolutely get why people care about and get super into the latter

Teddified

I wonder if it's because I kinda started with PS1 RPGs that I deem Narrative/storytelling just as important or sometimes more important than gameplay.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Naughty Dog games are basically well organised movie sets you get to move around in for a while, until it's time for the next chapter and set. You have to enjoy the ride, but I usually don't. It's very hard to explain what other linear games do differently, but I agree with him on those. It's not exactly new insight, though.

I must be reading this wrong because it seems like he's "punishing" Naughty Dog for being adept at art and graphics. Increasing the detail of areas in games gets you closer to an uncanny valley where it's even more apparent you can't do a fraction of the things you could in real life, but it's also worthless criticism because no fucking shit. It's bizarre to view these game spaces as anything but constructed models, and we should not be looking for places where they simply lack versimilitude but for the areas where the artifice itself is patently absurd. For example, the impassable barrier of knee-high barrels is ridiculous, but the fact that you can't fold every drying piece of laundry in an Uncharted chase scene isn't despite both being unrealistic.

The Technomancer

I must be reading this wrong because it seems like he's "punishing" Naughty Dog for being adept at art and graphics. Increasing the detail of areas in games gets you closer to an uncanny valley where it's even more apparent you can't do a fraction of the things you could in real life, but it's also worthless criticism because no fucking shit. It's bizarre to view these game spaces as anything but constructed models, and we should not be looking for places where they simply lack versimilitude but for the areas where the artifice itself is patently absurd. For example, the impassable barrier of knee-high barrels is ridiculous, but the fact that you can't fold every drying piece of laundry in an Uncharted chase scene isn't despite both being unrealistic.

I don't know if its quite this simple. The march for increasing fidelity with the aim of appearing photorealistic isn't inevitable, but a choice being made by various developers, ND included. As they continue down that path I think its fair to point out how doing so creates weaknesses elsewhere in their design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom