• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
It's a good thing there are a billion different games out there and developers can make shit the way they want to without having to appeal to everybody.

While I don't agree with this thesis about their full games, this Chloe trailer was excessive in directing the player, to where I don't know why there is control.

That whole trailer/sequence seemed to be made solely to tease the audience for as long as possible about the identity of the character. Outside of that, there was no reason for the sequence to take as long as it did, and a second time is just gonna be boring. It's a weird thing to do.

That whole trailer/sequence seemed to be made solely to tease the audience for as long as possible about the identity of the character. Outside of that, there was no reason for the sequence to take as long as it did, and a second time is just gonna be boring. It's a weird thing to do.

the best part was the post-show starting with "NOBODY KNEW IT WAS UNCHARTED" when a bunch of us landed on it in seconds

StoveOven

Banned

I thought that to, and it made me wonder if it's even a part of the final game. Like, we would presumably know who the character is when playing the game, so what purpose will the scene have? Maybe it will be something similar but highly reworked? Idk, it just seems weird.

Chuck

Still without luck
That's the new trailer bullshit thing. Try to go as long as it possibly can before your fans can guess which sequel it is.

Knack got a sequel and Sleeping Dogs didn't

That's the world we live in

That's the power of Mark Cerny. I'm 100% convinced he is the ONLY reason that this is happening. He may look affable and soft-spoken, but underneath that soft exterior lies the cold heart of power-hungry zealot. KNACK FOR THE KNACK GOD

Knack got a sequel and Sleeping Dogs didn't

That's the world we live in

Knack was probably cheap to make and sold a lot (and was apparently somewhat big with children). Sleeping Dogs, while better, did not do all that well and the sequel was way over budget. It's a shame what happened to SD2 and UFG, but money talks.

Wait... are they actually making windjammer? Who? Where? When?

On PS4 and Vita. It's the first time the game has had online play (obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPrsTQIVoXE

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's cool that they're doing a Windjammers HD but man I was really hoping for a Windjammers 2. With small business man and dr tracksuit unlockables.

I guess I dont know who all at SNK worked on the original though.

It's cool that they're doing a Windjammers HD but man I was really hoping for a Windjammers 2. With small business man and dr tracksuit unlockables.

I guess I dont know who all at SNK worked on the original though.

I know I shouldn't be pissed at you in particular for not knowing it's a Data East game but I can't help it

I don't know if its quite this simple. The march for increasing fidelity with the aim of appearing photorealistic isn't inevitable, but a choice being made by various developers, ND included. As they continue down that path I think its fair to point out how doing so creates weaknesses elsewhere in their design

Let's be clear. It doesn't create weaknesses in design. The game being more photorealistic doesn't suddenly limit your range of actions. It instead throws into starker relief the deficiency in possible interactions compared to reality. Literally every game is deficient in this regard because games are based on sets of abstractions, especially when it comes to interaction. And I feel like we're slamming games with good graphics just because they've failed to overcome an issue inherent to all games ever.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Let's be clear. It doesn't create weaknesses in design. The game being more photorealistic doesn't suddenly limit your range of actions. It instead throws into starker relief the deficiency in possible interactions compared to reality. Literally every game is deficient in this regard because games are based on sets of abstractions, especially when it comes to interaction. And I feel like we're slamming games with good graphics just because they've failed to overcome an issue inherent to all games ever.
I don't think I agree, insomuch as I don't think graphics and gameplay are that neatly separable. The player's perception of the possible action space is part of the design, and aesthetics form part of the foundation for that perception.

I'm also reading the piece as much less of a "slam" than you are I think

I don't think I agree, insomuch as I don't think graphics and gameplay are that neatly separable. The player's perception of the possible action space is part of the design, and aesthetics form part of the foundation for that perception.

I think we have a fundamental disagreement here.

That's fine, but let me share one last ridiculous example. Do we blame chess because the knight doesn't sometimes shit himself? In reality, knights often shit themselves during a campaign. Then why do we blame Uncharted for Nathan Drake never shitting his pants?

The Technomancer

I think we have a fundamental disagreement here.

That's fine, but let me share one last ridiculous example. Do we blame chess because the knight doesn't sometimes shit himself? In reality, knights often shit themselves during a campaign. Then why do we blame Uncharted for Nathan Drake never shitting his pants?

I mean...to continue this analogy, Chess exists at one far extreme of "war simulation", and on the other side of that as we increase "realism fidelity" you get increasingly complex wargames where players do want to have to manage food and morale and all that other finnicky human business. Of course even that caps out somewhere, I don't think any of those simulations account for shitting (outside of like Dwarf Fortress). The more realistic your game is, the more diegetic dissonance its going to run headfirst into. That's something developers focused on photorealism should think about

I think we do disagree, but again also I don't think this makes Naughty Dog "bad developers" or anything. I think that its just something that may be more of a problem for more people as fidelity continues to increase

Yeah I agree with that. Well-put!

Jeff picked well for his first(?) anime purchase. 0079 holds up real well.

Damn right he did.

He's on the right track, that old sport. You cannot go wrong with Gundam or the slapping of Amuro.

I wish it was during the week so the guys could talk over it, just to see their live reactions to the Windjammers portion.

Yeah, I would've loved to see their reactions on pretty much interesting.

Honestly, PSX seems better than their E3 so far.

The Technomancer

Wrapped up Doom this morning. Maybe I'm not good at shooters, but I didn't get the "flat difficulty" curve complaints. Sure my number of deaths per big fight didn't spike, I went from dying maybe once a battle early on to two or three times a battle towards the end, not a dozen, but I absolutely felt that by the last few levels I was juggling a lot more strategically, from knowing the map and the locations of the ammo and powerups to what weapons to switch to in different situations to just how to tackle a dozen different demons. It was super satisfying all the way till the end

So thoughts on Death Stranding using Guerilla's engine? If you didn't hear, Guerilla revealed a new engine called Decima (Fun note: That was the name of the main antagonists in Person of Interest). Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding are currently the only games announced to be using it. I assume it will only be used for Sony published games.

I wish it was during the week so the guys could talk over it, just to see their live reactions to the Windjammers portion.

There's still a way:
2831466-fs.jpg

Just replace "Rez" with "Knack 2."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom