• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
So thoughts on Death Stranding using Guerilla's engine? If you didn't hear, Guerilla revealed a new engine called Decima (Fun note: That was the name of the main antagonists in Person of Interest). Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding are currently the only games announced to be using it. I assume it will only be used for Sony published games.

It's pretty rad that they just handed Kojima a box with the Source code before anything was finalized. Pretty fucking rad.

And what Kojima is outputting with it...Horizon is an amazing looking game being this grandiose open world title. If Death Stranding is half that size, it will look godly. Also, wasn't Killzone on the same engine as well?

Either way, that is fucking awesome. Kojima is getting the help of Guerrila Games to make the game. That makes me more excited than Kojima hiring people and doing it on his own. This collaboration is gonna be legendary and unprecedented.

It's pretty rad that they just handed Kojima a box with the Source code before anything was finalized. Pretty fucking rad.

And what Kojima is outputting with it...Horizon is an amazing looking game being this grandiose open world title. If Death Stranding is half that size, it will look godly. Also, wasn't Killzone on the same engine as well?

Either way, that is fucking awesome. Kojima is getting the help of Guerrila Games to make the game. That makes me more excited than Kojima hiring people and doing it on his own. This collaboration is gonna be legendary and unprecedented.

They call it a new engine, starting with Horizon and Death Stranding. Maybe it's built off of the Killzone engine, but enough is different to call it a new engine.

They call it a new engine, starting with Horizon and Death Stranding. Maybe it's built off of the Killzone engine, but enough is different to call it a new engine.

Oh definitely. I wonder if it will be their middleware solution to compete with unreal.

If Horizon is on a modified Killzone engine, than that means that with both Death Stranding and Horizon, they'll be able to really make the engine their own.

Especially knowing that Kojima takes the most out of an engine, I figure that future games made on it will look and perform fantastically.

That's the new trailer bullshit thing. Try to go as long as it possibly can before your fans can guess which sequel it is.

God of War handled it well. Kratos is only in the dark for a minute, followed by a long gameplay demo showing how it's different from the older games.

Part of me wants Nintendo to show a trailer of someone in power armor walking through a space station for twenty minutes. Cut to, "the long wait is over." Man pulls out a hammer. Project H.A.M.M.E.R title card.

I think Decima is just the sexy new branding for the Guerrilla engine. Its not a fork or anything. Its just what that tech will be known by going forward. I wonder if they will slap that logo onto Horizon now too?

Branding your internal engine is hot right now I guess. Doesn't the Dishonored 2 engine have some silly name thats also "powered by iD tech"

I also want to say the Deus Ex MD, Drawn Engine is a weird offshoot of the Hitman glacier engine.

Sony use to have the Phyre Engine which was internally made but 3rd parties could totally still use it for multiplat games if they wanted. I wonder if they plan on doing something similar now? Would maybe be a bit pointless now with how big Unity and Unreal are

Part of me wants Nintendo to show a trailer of someone in power armor walking through a space station for twenty minutes. Cut to, "the long wait is over." .

tumblr_moecppx3My1s8ouhxo2_500.gif

hamchan

I'm happy that Kojima gets access to that internal Sony tech. Sony have been the most impressive with their game engines on consoles for the past two gens now.

Wensih

I recommend people see De grønne slagtere (The Green Butchers) starring Mads. He opens a butchershop and accidentally starts selling human meat (without knowing) and people buy it thinking is something else and they love it and it becomes hugely popular.

MV5BMTY2ODQ0NjQyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE3MDg4NA@@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I recommend Adam's Apples which is also directed by Anders Thomas Jensen

Adam%27s_Apples.jpg

It's about a priest (Mads Mikkelsen) trying to reform a neo-nazi by helping him bake an apple pie.

Chuck

Still without luck
I love that Kojima's new game is the perfect way for b-actors (and del toro) to look better than they have in the last 20 years. Being computer generated works wonders for wrinkles.

border

I only started listening to the Bombcast about 3 years ago, so I am really not up on Giant Bomb lore.

What is the deal with Dave Lang and Windjammers?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Death Stranding is fascinating to me as the first real example where I think the idea that an actor was "cast" in a game could make sense. This is the step beyond just doing something like CODs Kevin Spacey stunt

Death Stranding is fascinating to me as the first real example where I think the idea that an actor was "cast" in a game could make sense. This is the step beyond just doing something like CODs Kevin Spacey stunt

Quantum Break tried that, but they had the gimmick of 'What you do in the game will affect the live action!'. And while that is commendable...it seems like Kojima is doing it better? Like, in Quantum Break the story was cookie cutter, whenever they would talk about the game it would be either about the time powers, or mainly about how actions affected the live action or how they've filmed X versions of the live action affected by gameplay.

Everything we have heard of Death Stranding however, has mainly been about what kind of world Kojima wants to create. Engine/studio stuff notwithstanding, he's talked about he wants to do something different gameplay wise for the game, and how it'll be integral to the story he's trying to tell. And even though it's a major thing he's working with Reedus, Del Toro, Norman, it's taken a backseat to what the fuck Death Stranding is. It's just out there. It's not cookie cutter like Quantum Break was, it's not directly anti-war like MGS was, it's just...out there.

If the actors can be the paint that draws the story, it'll be all the better. Man. Death Stranding is going to be something special.

I mentioned before, but I'm happy that he's working with Guerrilla Games. Hopefully with their engine, and the tutelage of the engine they will provide, Kojima will be able to paint a wonderful world, whatever it may be. I'm going on a tangent on this point, but I absolutely love the eerie themes and symbols presented in so far, and I want to know what it is. More so in a way than MGSV, or any previous MGS game. It's just incredibly out there.

edit: Alex's hip bone story fuuuck

I only started listening to the Bombcast about 3 years ago, so I am really not up on Giant Bomb lore.

What is the deal with Dave Lang and Windjammers?

Windjammers is a game that Jeff would bring out often when he had his NeoGEO hooked up. Dave Lang, is a founder of Iron Galaxy. With Lang being so close with Giant Bomb, it was sort of a running gag for fans to pester Dave, asking Iron Galaxy to acquire the rights for Windjammers and bring it back (possibly with the art style of Divekick). Dave, on a GDC after-hours stream, was poised to make a "major" Windjammers announcement. That announcement was that Windjammers would never resurface. But it did. Hence Dave's nightmare.

There's a reason during the post-show, Sid Shuman of PlayStation specifically mentioned Jeff (and NeoGAF) when talking about the game. Most of us know of Windjammers because of Giant Bomb. So many of the other streams I watched were all confused and had never heard of the game (or Dave Lang's connection to it all).

demidar

Windjammers is a game that Jeff would bring out often when he had his NeoGEO hooked up. Dave Lang, is a founder of Iron Galaxy. With Lang being so close with Giant Bomb, it was sort of a running gag for fans to pester Dave, asking Iron Galaxy to acquire the rights for Windjammers and bring it back (possibly with the art style of Divekick). Dave, on a GDC after-hours stream, was poised to make a "major" Windjammers announcement. That announcement was that Windjammers would never resurface. But it did. Hence Dave's nightmare.

There's a reason during the post-show, Sid Shuman of PlayStation specifically mentioned Jeff (and NeoGAF) when talking about the game. Most of us know of Windjammers because of Giant Bomb. So many of the other streams I watched were all confused and had never heard of the game (or Dave Lang's connection to it all).

Giant Bomb > Gaf > Internet > Giant Bomb/Gaf

border

Windjammers is a game that Jeff would bring out often when he had his NeoGEO hooked up. Dave Lang, is a founder of Iron Galaxy. With Lang being so close with Giant Bomb, it was sort of a running gag for fans to pester Dave, asking Iron Galaxy to acquire the rights for Windjammers and bring it back (possibly with the art style of Divekick).

I recall Jeff recently talking about his research into who actually has the rights to Windjammers. It sounded like an incredibly cloudy and legally confusing situation. How did this port/remaster actually end up happening?

Does Dave Lang actually hate Windjammers? Or did he just enjoy trolling its fans, for a time?

Who owns the rights to Tetris Battle Gaiden and can we send Gio their phone number?

Don't know. But I'd like to see Puyo Puyo Tetris come to PS4 (outside Japan). I know PS4 is region free and all, but it would be nice to have it without importing it. As far as I know, Sega has those rights. But because Ubisoft has the Tetris rights (at least in North America), Puyo Puyo Tetris can't be officially sold anywhere else.

Jintor

more thoughts on furi: I think the most annoying bit of it is that I often feel like I'm wasting my time rather than learning something about boss patterns or upping my reaction speed or whatever.

If you fail a phase the boss's health refills completely so you gotta do the phase again entirely. I guess it's balanced because your health also fills completely when you beat a phase, even if you were on a pixel of health or something, but it's still garbage because you could get them down to 5% health on that phase, get careless for half a second, and then all your work just goes down the drain. it's dispiriting and annoying.

I just had a sniper boss that I was having a lot of fun working out the patterns and then the very final phase is, like most bosses so far, a bullet hell thing, which is specially combined with instant-kill sniper shots you have to find randomised cover which is actually hard to see. The dodge move doesn't chain well enough and has a very short invincibility window, and the way the bullet hell in that particular sequence works means you have to dodge through blasts from all directions while also trying to look for shitty cover. As if that wasn't enough when you beat that you get one final fuck you melee sequence except now the boss is invisible, so I got to that on 5% health on my last 'life' and instantly got killed because every other boss had the decency to get squashed after finishing their bullet hell segment.

Now the fucker i'm fighting deals 40% of my health bar in one hit and dodges almost all of my attacks instantly and I only deal like 5% of one phase per attack I can land. I mean I spent like 5 minutes on him so far so I don't expect to know him 100%, but I mostly just feel like I'm going nowhere with this game even when I do make progress.

Anjin M

more thoughts on furi: I think the most annoying bit of it is that I often feel like I'm wasting my time rather than learning something about boss patterns or upping my reaction speed or whatever.

If you fail a phase the boss's health refills completely so you gotta do the phase again entirely. I guess it's balanced because your health also fills completely when you beat a phase, even if you were on a pixel of health or something, but it's still garbage because you could get them down to 5% health on that phase, get careless for half a second, and then all your work just goes down the drain. it's dispiriting and annoying.

I just had a sniper boss that I was having a lot of fun working out the patterns and then the very final phase is, like most bosses so far, a bullet hell thing, which is specially combined with instant-kill sniper shots you have to find randomised cover which is actually hard to see. The dodge move doesn't chain well enough and has a very short invincibility window, and the way the bullet hell in that particular sequence works means you have to dodge through blasts from all directions while also trying to look for shitty cover. As if that wasn't enough when you beat that you get one final fuck you melee sequence except now the boss is invisible, so I got to that on 5% health on my last 'life' and instantly got killed because every other boss had the decency to get squashed after finishing their bullet hell segment.

Now the fucker i'm fighting deals 40% of my health bar in one hit and dodges almost all of my attacks instantly and I only deal like 5% of one phase per attack I can land. I mean I spent like 5 minutes on him so far so I don't expect to know him 100%, but I mostly just feel like I'm going nowhere with this game even when I do make progress.
Jeez. That sounds infuriating.

HAHAHA! Over at the Easy Allies pre-PSX show, they were joking about how Mark Cerny was introduced as both the architect of PS4 and director of Knack at The Game Awards and were using that as a prediction for a new Knack. Kyle Bosman then interrupted them. He was involved in The Game Awards and said a writer asked him, other than designing PS4, what else was he know for. Jokingly Kyle said he directed Knack. The writer did not get the partial sarcasm and it made it into the The Game Awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkkQzgqd78Y&t=30m

You only live once!

I'm normally very anti-collector's edition, but I have to admit that one looks pretty sweet.

Don't spend $200 on it though unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket.

that's like 200 Taco Bell tacos worth of Nier

Well, you've all failed, but I'm sure indecision will solve this problem for me, just like it solves all my problems.

I really liked the health refill mechanic. It forces you to actually get good at every part of the boss instead of brute forcing your way through the ones you have trouble with. Every time I died in Furi, I always felt like I was so close to victory, so I kept doing the "Just one more!" thing over and over again.

That specific phase of the sniper boss is by far the hardest thing in the entire game. I was super pumped when I beat it because I parried my health up from near empty to full on my last life. I know you finished it, but remember that you can dodge diagonally. It makes going through the intersecting waves easier. Also, understand the slight cooldown between dodges. Dodge into movement, not another dodge. And for whatever reason I found it easier to execute my short dodges with R1 and my charged dodges with X. Segregating it out like that really helped me.

The samurai has very little health. Remember to use your charge attacks with the right stick and you'll eat through his health. If I'm remembering correctly, it's super hard to tell when he's going to add an extra swing to his combo, so just parry an extra time to be safe. And hey, he's a glass cannon, so at least each try at the boss doesn't take very long.

Mastering the dodge is key. Almost all of my frustration from this game stems from the dodge. You have to learn to dodge early, because it activates upon release instead of on press. Once I started dodging all ranged attacks about a half second earlier compared to when I would dodge in other character action games, it was almost comical how little I got hit.

On the other hand, you're already near the end, so I'm not sure how much water this advice holds at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom