• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd rather have boob asmr clickbait suggest to me than what i get which is like drama alert and top 10 and the first 8 things girls notice about guys

boobs are at least relevant to me.

Nerokis

Austin has a good article up on why NaughtyDog games just don't work for him. It's an interesting perspective, for sure. Increased graphical fidelity and believably of a play space makes its concessions in the name of being a linear video game that much more apparent.

Just got around to reading this. I totally know where he's coming from. The same sense made me drop TLOU the first time I checked it out on the PS3, even though I would eventually fall in love with the remaster:

This kind of photorealistic, linear game can sometimes be dizzying. This well realized, detailed world is implied, but then the corridor structure can be seen all over in the level design. I never quite know how much exploration I'm supposed to do, and interactivity is incredibly selective. Something about that high detail + selective interactivity + incredibly limited movement thing can take a bit to get used to. For me, that applied to TLOU. There was an adjustment period there.

I'm actually not sure I've seen anyone else express that sentiment, so it was pretty interesting to read Austin's typically clarifying take on it. No other game has had the same "dizzying" effect on me that TLOU did.

oti

Banned
It's crazy how bad the lip syncing in FFXV is.

Started playing the game in English but I didn't like the VO and it's not the same as the movie so that was irritating. Changed to German which I actually liked more, but the lip syncing was atrocious. So I changed it to Japanese and never looked back.

I should try French for the giggles.

derFeef

Austin pretty much explains what's bothering me with the games as well. Tey are very well crafted. Too much crafted, designed through and through. It's getting boring for me pretty quickly because you already know what to expect around the next corner. A beautiful facade and all that, but I only see design notes and gameplay triggers.

QL1XHMx.jpg

Ein Bear

My main issue with Naughty Dog games is that, after striking a pretty good balance between gameplay and narrative in UC2, their games have become progressively more and more self-indulgent with their focus on story. Uncharted 4 is honestly one of the most poorly-paced videogames I've ever played.

derFeef

My main issue with Naughty Dog games is that, after striking a pretty good balance between gameplay and narrative in UC2, their games have become progressively more and more self-indulgent with their focus on story. Uncharted 4 is honestly one of the most poorly-paced videogames I've ever played.

It has puzzles, jumping, some action, and cool cinematics!
That's what I heard today after trying to get some answers why someone likes it so much and why that person is so hyped about Last of Us 2 (despite not having even played the first one).

Is Iron Galaxy involved in any capacity in the Windjammers thing or are they just taking the piss a little bit w/ handing out cards and going to the booth?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, I totally expected them to be involved, but I don't see it anywhere. Why were they at PSX then?

UC4 was the first Uncharted game that didn't give me combat fatigue.

I'm not saying it's the best (that's still 2 clearly) but the pacing was fine.

Johndoey

Banned
How was it poorly paced? I'd argue the increased focus on the exploration and narrative work well. The combat scenes felt more like set-pieces.

daveo42

Banned
UC4 was the first Uncharted game that didn't give me combat fatigue.

I'm not saying it's the best (that's still 2 clearly) but the pacing was fine.

I didn't get combat fatigue either, but I think the pacing was still off in UC4. The only ND game I think has excellent pacing is TLoU.

Yeah, for me it was the opposite. I would tire of so many encounters in the earlier series.
For me 4 struck a far better balance.

Meneses

Uncharted 4 was definitely the most pleasant to play of all Uncharted games, in my experience.

2 strikes a great balance between all parts of the game, but I enjoyed the slightly more "peaceful" feeling from 4.

If we're talking ND in general, The Last of Us is my favorite one to play.

Ein Bear

How was it poorly paced? I'd argue the increased focus on the exploration and narrative work well. The combat scenes felt more like set-pieces.

I wouldn't say that the game needed more combat exactly, but I just felt like they didn't give you enough stuff to actually do as a player.

For instance, the sequence in the jeep is probably the most open the game gets, but that still doesn't feel like 'exploration' to me. There's only really one place that the game wants you to arrive at, and the only 'gameplay' to be had is driving from point A to point B whilst Nate and co have a chat. Occasionally you'll be interrupted by having to winch the car or something, which is just a case of getting out and hitting square next to a tree, and only seems to be there to further slow everything down and give the characters more time to talk.

I just feel that you ultimately aren't interacting with the game as a player very much at all, and are instead constantly forced to just listen to the story they want to tell you.

I really think it's the opposite. It was perfectly paced until the endgame, when it became a mush of incresingly stilted combat encounters (the tunnels section was awful).

imBask

Banned
Hitman was hella fun on my first run, but everytime I go back and try to replay a map to get a different objective done, it feels tedious and anti-fun

am I broken? am I becoming Alex? should I buy a waluigi amiibo?

Hitman was hella fun on my first run, but everytime I go back and try to replay a map to get a different objective done, it feels tedious and anti-fun

It can feel slightly tedious the 20th time you're waiting for an AI routine to complete, but in general going back and experimenting is my favourite thing.

I did just did the Sapienza sniper challenge the other day. It didn't say do it all in your suit, but I did anyway, just to add extra complexity for added fun.

Find what you like about the game and focus on that. I don't find following the opportunities very fun, I like being given a specific challenge then figuring out how to do that.

Wunder

that's the one thing i'm scared about and why i haven't gotten hitman yet. That and I'm shit at stealth

Austin pretty much explains what's bothering me with the games as well. Tey are very well crafted. Too much crafted, designed through and through. It's getting boring for me pretty quickly because you already know what to expect around the next corner. A beautiful facade and all that, but I only see design notes and gameplay triggers.

Makes sense why he liked Fallout 4 so much

imBask

Banned
It can feel slightly tedious the 20th time you're waiting for an AI routine to complete, but in general going back and experimenting is my favourite thing.

I did just did the Sapienza sniper challenge the other day. It didn't say do it all in your suit, but I did anyway, just to add extra complexity for added fun.

Find what you like about the game and focus on that. I don't find following the opportunities very fun, I like being given a specific challenge then figuring out how to do that.

I think my problem is more like : I already know the map the second time around so i'm just running around trying to find set pieces, instead of discovering and taking whatever I stumble upon. It feels like i'm just trying to get shit done instead of playing

that's especially true since you can't just do whatever you want, if you want to unlock stuff you need to do challenges and those revolve around you finding the right thing and using it.Finding a nice knife and throwing it won't cut it (get it?), even if that's what I want to do

I do think that weapons and equipment shouldn't be locked off. It should all be free to use from the start.

So tired of progressions and unlock systems in most games to be honest. Maybe it's because I'm old.

I like progression systems.

I hate it when I would use cheat codes to unlock everything(ie gta games) and infinite money because then I would just become bored with the game.

patapuf

that's the one thing i'm scared about and why i haven't gotten hitman yet. That and I'm shit at stealth

You don't need to be "good at stealth" in hitman. With the one exeption being suit only runs (and you only do those when you know the maps well).

Almost everything has multiple elegant solutions where you can hide in plain sight. If you are seen, it's very forgiving in letting you run away.

I like progression systems.

I hate it when I would use cheat codes to unlock everything(ie gta games) and infinite money because then I would just become bored with the game.

For me the goal of hitman isn't filling bars and unlocking stuff though. It's experimenting and finding new methods, which is limited until things are unlocked.

Peru

In general I'm a little tired of systems. Needless to say my tastes are not all that much like Austin Walker's.

My problems with unlocks and progressions in a lot of games is... who has the time?

I like to sit down and experience a game start to finish and then shelve it these days. A select few I keep playing, like 4-5 a year.

When each game has a different unlock system, progression system, etc etc it just feels like a chore and a game saying "you know you aren't going to get the full experience here unless you invest 30 more hours than you want to into me".

In some games they're great systems and needed, but in most they're tacked on to increase longevity and appear more complex than they are.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I felt the same until I replayed Hokkaido with the ninja suit, only killing the targets, not being spotted, destroying evidence, etc. That clicked something in my brain that caused me to become enamored by the game.

Xater

_Dogs 2 is really good. Better than expected.

Glad I went with it over FFXV.

I just finished FFXV and it's good, but it has issues. The structure is just baffling and you can tell this was frankeinsteined over the years. The game also needed a proper prologue to introduce you to a lot of the stuff in the world, but Square had to do their shitty movie and anime I guess. It's also easy for combat to become irrelevant if you are just a couple levels above the quest.

I just finished FFXV and it's good, but it has issues. The structure is just baffling and you can tell this was frankeinsteined over the years. The game also needed a proper prologue to introduce you to a lot of the stuff in the world, but Square had to do their shitty movie and anime I guess. It's also easy for combat to become irrelevant if you are just a couple levels above the quest.

I feel like combat is always either irrelevant or super frustrating. The other day I had a dropship above me drop like a dozen guys or more, they were all shooting at me, no way to avoid the shots while still taking them out. It's totally braindead. Either I don't understand how to play this game or it's just bad.

Johndoey

Banned
One thing I will say is that second to last boss fight is a real treat visually, enough though the wrap up of the fight is straight garbage.

I feel like The Last Guardian is one of those games that I have to play whether it's good or not.

Also, from what I can find the PS4 Pro stuff for the game is pretty minimal. Maybe we'll learn more with these reviews.

hamchan

I've beat a very annoying enemy in FFXV that wasn't hard but just took an hour to whittle down his health.

Now I've wrapped a rubber band around my sticks to get a trophy in the game.

Omgomgomgomg

IT'S ALMOST TIME FOR THE LAST GUARDIAN REVIEWS,

Shit's gonna be a bloodbath.

We've already had a mod say that 15fps is acceptable and fine for games to run at to try and excuse the reports of the framerate being wonky, doubt we'll top that for craziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom