• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like the buyers.

People just don't give a shit about framerate except for me or something

This is true to be honest. People not knowing or caring about framerate and resolution has ruined a lot of the console industry. It's even ruining some PC games.

It's 2016 and people are still playing sub-1080p, sub-30fps games happily.

I know I sound like an elitist prick, but get some standards innit.

Curufinwe

This is true to be honest. People not knowing or caring about framerate and resolution has ruined a lot of the console industry. It's even ruining some PC games.

I don't think you sound like an elitist prick. It's a fair point, and I'm happy waiting till I get a Pro to pick up TLG. But I have thoroughly enjoyed Deus Ex MD and Dishonored 2 in the past few months, and they are definitely not locked to 30 fps on PS4. It's really a personal thing of how much tech issues affect your enjoyment, and it can vary wildly by game.

Hindl

To be fair, I think standards have gotten higher. I remember the N64 and PS2 era pretty much everything ran like dogshit. Hell OoT ran right in line with what TLG is running at framerate-wise. Comparatively it seems a lot of companies are at least trying to hit more stable framerates, mostly because being able to say it's locked is a good buzzword now. Still unacceptable but there's been some positive movement in recent years

imBask

Banned
The biggest problem here is that Sony is letting this game do exactly what they said they wouldn't.

The framerate is locked on PS4 Pro and wonky on the normal PS4

Fuck me for being one of the 40M people who bought a PS4!

I don't think you sound like an elitist prick. It's a fair point, and I'm happy waiting till I get a Pro to pick up TLG. But I have thoroughly enjoyed Deus Ex MD and Dishonored 2 in the past few months, and they are definitely not locked to 30 fps on PS4. It's really a personal thing of how much tech issues affect your enjoyment, and it can vary wildly by game.

It started in 2010 for me.

When I built my first gaming PC.

Maybe everyone should be introduced to PCs from an early age - mandatory by the age of 5.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They said framerates couldn't be worse on the Pro compared to the standard version, not the other way around.

According to the Digital Foundry video, the only way to get a solid 30 fps is to play the game on a Pro in 1080p mode. Absurd. That game should be 60 fps on a Pro in 1080p.

The biggest problem here is that Sony is letting this game do exactly what they said they wouldn't.

The framerate is locked on PS4 Pro and wonky on the normal PS4

Fuck me for being one of the 40M people who bought a PS4!

what? I'm pretty sure they only said that that performance should be equal across multiplayer games. otherwise why the hell would most people even bother to upgrade?

imBask

Banned
what? I'm pretty sure they only said that that performance should be equal across multiplayer games. otherwise why the hell would most people even bother to upgrade?

Unless i'm mistaken, I was under the impression that they made it pretty clear that devs wouldn't be allowed to make versions that runs poorly on the normal PS4 and well on the PS4 Pro

if not that's even worse, straight up fuck you to the consumers instead of a slightly hidden fuck you

the last guardian performance on a standard PS4 looks so rough. A game originally targeting the PS3 seems to now be designed for the pro. I'm very glad to see that it's turned out well though.

Catvoca

Banned

I think they're referring to games launching like shit on the OG Ps4 but being fine on the pro, which I'm pretty sure sony said wouldn't happen? It's been my biggest worry with the PRO as someone who really doesn't want to upgrade right now.

Curufinwe

Unless i'm mistaken, I was under the impression that they made it pretty clear that devs wouldn't be allowed to make versions that runs poorly on the normal PS4 and well on the PS4 Pro

if not that's even worse, straight up fuck you to the consumers instead of a slightly hidden fuck you

You're mistaken.

BF1 runs much better on PS4 Pro.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think they're referring to games launching like shit on the OG Ps4 but being fine on the pro, which I'm pretty sure sony said wouldn't happen? It's been my biggest worry with the PRO as someone who really doesn't want to upgrade right now.
They never said that. They said games weren't allowed to run worse on the Pro compared to the standard PS4. But only in the leaked documents anyways, it's not exactly law.

I'd feel terrible for someone who only buys games based on Bakalar reviews.
Why? Seems perfectly capable to me. I've heard such absurd opinions from game journalists over the years, I would say he's better than many.

Curufinwe

It started in 2010 for me.

When I built my first gaming PC.

Maybe everyone should be introduced to PCs from an early age - mandatory by the age of 5.

I got a gaming PC in 2007 and really enjoyed it for a while, but moved back to consoles in 2009 with PS3 because of Wipeout and 2010 with 360 because of Bayonetta.

Oh no I'm right alongside you with the pitchfork and torch mate.

It's not even a stunning game from what I've seen.

Yep, what a shame. I was hoping (perhaps misguidedly) that this game would be another reason to get a Pro, but it seems that's not the case. Not sure if I'll play it any time soon, given my intolerance of sub-60 framerates.

if they did, then I missed that, but I'm not at all surprised. everything about the promises made about the Pro (and their policies) so far have been hot air.

pretty convenient though when you have people out there saying that 15fps is totally fine, makes Sony's stance pretty defensible. "It doesn't run like shit, it runs at a framerate that is totally acceptable to reviewers and moderators at video game sites."

I got a gaming PC in 2007 and really enjoyed it for a while, but moved back to consoles in 2009 with PS3 because of Wipeout and 2010 with 360 because of Bayonetta.

Pre-2010 my gaming split was 90% console and 10% PC (whatever my struggling PC could play).

Now it's 90% PC and 10% console. Bump that up to 20% for consoles when Nintendo release the Switch.

It's not just the tech side though - consoles have got worse in a lot of ways in the last decade or so.

Hindl

Yep, what a shame. I was hoping (perhaps misguidedly) that this game would be another reason to get a Pro, but it seems that's not the case. Not sure if I'll play it any time soon, given my intolerance of sub-60 framerates.

It sounds like this is a reason to get a Pro. It at least runs well on the Pro, whereas the standard PS4 runs poorly

Curufinwe

They never said that. They said games weren't allowed to run worse on the standard PS4. But only in the leaked documents anyways, it's not exactly law..

In those leaked slides Pro versions were specifically allowed to have higher/more stable framerates.

53012_13_leaked-ps4-neo-sony-reveal-specs-developer_full.jpg

It's really silly for anyone to pretend the Pro is at fault for TLG running poorly on PS4. If the Pro never existed TLG would not run any better. It has clearly has engine problems that no amount of tweaking can fix.

It sounds like this is a reason to get a Pro. It at least runs well on the Pro, whereas the standard PS4 runs poorly

something something "I get consoles so I don't have to throw money at them to get moderate performance improvements" something something

also if you're buying a Pro to upgrade your existing ps4 for non-HDR or non-4k reasons, you're possibly an idiot

The thing about those Sony guidelines is it almost certainly is referring to target framerates. BF1 has a 60 fps target on both Pro and standard but the reality is far from the target in 64 player conquest. In my mind, as far as Sony is concerned BF1 standard and pro run at the same target framerate, so all is good, even if the drops are severe and constant on the standard and less so on the Pro. I think that is also why the worse performing PS4 Pro games. They aren't allowed to target a lower framerate for enhanced mode compared to the standard, so as long as they both target 30 their good, even if the performance is less consistent.

In those leaked slides Pro versions were specifically allowed to have higher/more stable framerates.

53012_13_leaked-ps4-neo-sony-reveal-specs-developer_full.jpg

It's really silly for anyone to pretend the Pro is at fault for TLG running poorly on PS4. If the Pro never existed TLG would not run any better. It has clearly has engine problems that no amount of tweaking can fix.

The problem is Sony don't enforce performance standards, so you get situations like this.

If they said to devs, first and third party, "this has to be 30fps at least consistently on the base model" then nobody would have any issues.

But you can release a first party game that drops to single digits and that's a-okay with them apparently.

Hindl

something something "I get consoles so I don't have to throw money at them to get moderate performance improvements" something something

also if you're buying a Pro to upgrade your existing ps4 for non-HDR or non-4k reasons, you're possibly an idiot

I agree, no way in hell am I getting a Pro. But the Pro does run better, so if you're choosing between the two go for the Pro. But everything Sony has done surrounding this console have just been bad. And yeah, someone getting a Pro without 4K deserves to lose their money.

I still really want TLG, but the bad frame rate is unfortunate, especially since I just beefed up my PC and have no intention of upgrading to a PS4 Pro. Oh well.

No console maker forces a minimum of 30 fps locked. Look at ReCore.

Well yeah, and that's a problem I think.

Where is the protection for the consumers?

MS and Sony should be pushing developers to make games better. It would be better in the long run. In the meantime, more people will shift to PC (although even MS don't get that right on PC...)

Catvoca

Banned
Well yeah, and that's a problem I think.

Where is the protection for the consumers?

MS and Sony should be pushing developers to make games better. It would be better in the long run. In the meantime, more people will shift to PC (although even MS don't get that right on PC...)

I think the answer is less about enforcing a performance standard and more about sony (and Microsoft) having a proper refund policy like Steam that protects against getting burned by bad purchases.

if there's one thing in the world I'll give nintendo credit for, it's that they know how to make their first-party games set technical and presentational bars high. mostly.

(although even MS don't get that right on PC...)

don't even get me started on the technical shit related to FH3 on pc

I think the answer is less about enforcing a performance standard and more about sony (and Microsoft) having a proper refund policy like Steam that protects against getting burned by bad purchases.

This is good to protect consumers and would be a positive step forward, I agree.

However, there would still be a LOT of people who would put up with bad performance etc.

If the games weren't allowed to be released until they hit a certain standard, that would improve it for everyone and the baseline of what was acceptable for the majority would go up.

It will never happen I know.

don't even get me started on the technical shit related to FH3 on pc

I've still not bought it for that reason :(

popo

I think the perfect lineup for any QB quick look would be Brad playing (so the comments go nuts when he struggles with the controls), Jeff (so the comments go nuts when he complains that it looks like shit) and Vinny (so the comments go nuts that he continually makes jokes about the luck dragon and how dumb he looks).

not enough of the consumers and/or press care enough for it to give anybody any incentive. people like me are the outliers. I mean the majority of the people buying games today probably grew up in the n64 era so they're fully conditioned to poor performance.

not enough of the consumers and/or press care enough for it to give anybody any incentive. people like me are the outliers. I mean the majority of the people buying games today probably grew up in the n64 era so they're fully conditioned to poor performance.

I'm 26 so the N64/PS1 was the first gen I was really invested in.

I got converted to high performance and framerate when I experienced it consistently. Others would.

But like I said, the enforcement would never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom