• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wat

Where

Surely they were being sarcastic

Oh shit, is that where all the Y2Kev jokes where coming from?

Well yeah, it's more cinematic

In the early impression thread.

It wasn't Y2Kev, I don't know what his name was.

Jim and Eurogamer confirm fears about controls and framerate.

Real shame. The PS3 versions of Ico and SOTC fixed all of the PS2 versions problems, but I doubt this game will get such treatment. I'll have to suffer the dips into the single digits(!!!???).

Meneses

I feel like The Last Guardian is one of those games that I have to play whether it's good or not.

Also, from what I can find the PS4 Pro stuff for the game is pretty minimal. Maybe we'll learn more with these reviews.

I'm definitely gonna play it since I loved the other two (especially SotC).

It seems to be "another one of those", a game that fans of Team Ico will like and people who don't care for it, probably won't.

It won't surprise me if we see super divisive reviews.

hamchan

Companion AI that is necessary to solve puzzles but refuses to listen to you half the time sounds like a really frustrating experience.

Ugh

Even Shadow of Collosus ran decently enough. Single digits? It sounds horrifying

I don't think it did - wasn't it sub-20 on PS2?

It took the PS3 remaster to make it playable for me. The PS2 version gave me a headache.

The problem is I think I'll love TLG - these types of games and stories really appeal to me - but I hate that it has to be such a compromised experience, both in terms of framerate and apparently controls.

Catvoca

Banned
I think reviews should just end at "If you liked their other games, you'll like this. If you didn't, you'll hate this."
Seems more ICO than Shadow of the Colossus though, and I only liked SOTC. I'll wait until it's cheap and then i'll try it out. Jim Sterling's review reminded me of how I felt playing ICO for the first time, so i'll definitely be waiting.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its fascinating to me that Last Guardian and FFXV are dropping within a couple weeks of each other and they couldn't reflect their 10 year development cycles more differently. Everything about TLG seems to show its age and that it had a rocky development, while a lot of FFXV, from what I've seen, if you told me it started development in 2014 I'd probably believe you

XV looks like it just managed to remain current even throughout its development cycle

hamchan

Its fascinating to me that Last Guardian and FFXV are dropping within a couple weeks of each other and they couldn't reflect their 10 year development cycles more differently. Everything about TLG seems to show its age and that it had a rocky development, while a lot of FFXV, from what I've seen, if you told me it started development in 2014 I'd probably believe you

XV looks like it just managed to remain current even throughout its development cycle

FFXV actually manages to seem like it was made extremely rushed.

I think you're misremembering SotC.

I remembered it being passable. Framerate was like, the least of my complaints for the PS2 version.

...maybe the motion blur hid it really well. The only boss I remember having noticeable lag was the lizard who spit stuff at you from close range.

Xater

I feel like combat is always either irrelevant or super frustrating. The other day I had a dropship above me drop like a dozen guys or more, they were all shooting at me, no way to avoid the shots while still taking them out. It's totally braindead. Either I don't understand how to play this game or it's just bad.

The combat isn't the best but those guys are easy to deal with. Phase th through shots and just teleport to the ranged guys.

I remembered it being passable. Framerate was like, the least of my complaints for the PS2 version.

...maybe the motion blur hid it really well. The only boss I remember having noticeable lag was the lizard who spit stuff at you from close range.

You must not have the best memory then. Performance of Shadow of the Collosus is atrocious on PS2. Game can easily go below 20fps.

TraBuch

Banned

Or your standards were just lower.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They needed more time

I think its clear honestly that they needed more money. Four years ago they should have scrapped their engine and started making something they could migrate their existing assets to to something brand new for the PS4 but I guarentee they couldn't afford it

Pretty sure it's a bug rather than, like, what the framerate normally is but yeesh, it is ridiculous

If it's a bug then that's not as bad - but if that is an example of the dips to single digits which Eurogamer mentioned, then the product isn't fit for purpose.

Imagine going to a film and the framerate dipped to 5fps in some scenes. Just doesn't happen.

Game developers and publishers need to have higher standards.

pizzacat

Banned
Game developers and publishers need to have higher standards.
More like the buyers.

People just don't give a shit about framerate except for me or something

Any game below 60 shouldn't come out and the devs should be jailed

only half kidding

About the shouldn't come out part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom