• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would've been interesting if the wrap was actually something interesting instead of as stated the most obvious generic shit it the world. I'm not going to praising the story for committing to it's dull conclusion.

Just hand waving it away as "generic shit" when that ignores the entire rest of the story and the context around the ending is incredibly reductive. I found that conclusion interesting, it was a powerful culmination of their relationship and the plot that the game created. A part of the ending can be generic and still work well, and in LiS imo it did work well. I don't need some M. Night Shyamalan twist for the ending to be impactful within the context of the characters and the plot points of the story. There's nothing wrong with a theme of ultimate sacrifice if a game can pull it off well and actually make it feel like something. Many games try to do it and it doesn't work because I don't actually care about that character. I'll sacrifice them without another thought. LiS made it work because I cared about the characters and world it crafted.

hamchan

What do you guys think is the best difficulty to play Doom on? I like a challenge but not having to replay sections a ton of times.

On PC I started on Ultra Violence and it felt like normal difficulty for other games, so if you're on PC you should probably start on that.

daveo42

Banned
What do you guys think is the best difficulty to play Doom on? I like a challenge but not having to replay sections a ton of times.

Ultra Violence. I played that on PS4 and only ran into some issues late game and only in a handful of encounters. The game handles surprisingly well with a controller, tho the ideal is still playing kb/m. Even going through some encounters again was more fun than frustrating because of how well designed each encounter was and how rewarding it felt to exploit the systems and tools at your disposal.

Johndoey

Banned
I will say once thing. Episode 4 of Life is Strange is incredible. It was that game delivering on the potential of it's premise.

jaina

This year I've played TR 2013, ROTR, Uncharted 2 & 3 for the first time and am almost through Uncharted 4.
ROTR does not out-unchart Uncharted, meaning it did better set pieces and dialogue. But it's a better game than any UC, for me.

Meneses

ROTR to me felt like a "let's just throw in everything we can" (which I imagine the previous game also did, I only played like half an hour of it).

It's hunting, crafting, collecting, quests with markers, level ups and skill trees, detective vision, QTEs, Uncharted-type "whoaa whoa whoooooa shit's breaking and i'm falling" - with way worse characters - and all of it felt like a lifeless chore so I don't think I had much fun in the end.

The best parts of the game were the puzzle-y tombs which, bizarrely, are mostly optional in a TOMB Raider game.

I played it on the PS4 and I really feel for the XB1 people who had to deal with that atrocious aiming lag / whatever monstrosity that was for so long and admire those who actually powered through that game, it was nearly unplayable for me and I basically gave up until the patch hit. It was a huge improvement.

It wasn't reductionist at all.

They explained what they liked so far, those elements do not pan out at all, so the only safe assumption is a negative one. It's GOTY, you can't just give an entirely story-based game the benefit of the doubt that you'll like where the story goes if the thing you said you like doesn't go anywhere.

And the ending was terrible. They ran out of money, couldn't wrap any of the more ambitious plot points up, so they went for the most basic and generic friendship story they could. It's only well regarded because the bar for video game writing is so low.

In what world is reading a plot summary on wikipedia not reductive. The quality of a story is in the telling. Anyway thanks for telling me what I should think about it while making a bunch of assumptions.

Pokémon Sun and Moon should ABSOLUTELY be a strong contender for Best Soundtrack.

Unfortunately, the one who would have to make that argument would be Dan, so good luck with that one.

I think Furi could swoop in and win best soundtrack right at the table. There's enough club bangers on there that someone could just play it off the speaker on their phone and most of them will be impressed.

Meneses

From what i've heard so far, Furi, NMS, Stardew Valley all have great soundtracks, all in different styles.

Furi's probably my favorite as both stand alone and game implementation.

Any surprise contenders for 'best looking' this year? Uncharted 4 probably makes top 3 in the 'most graphics' slot, but is there anything like Guilty Gear Xrd that could steal the show?

Any surprise contenders for 'best looking' this year? Uncharted 4 probably makes top 3 in the 'most graphics' slot, but is there anything like Guilty Gear Xrd that could steal the show?

I'm about 5 hours into Last Guardian, and it's just jaw dropping. It has like a pastel/watercolor look, but not cel-shaded, that I've never seen this well-realized before. The performance is hampered though (sub-30 most of the time), so I guess you can quibble over that. But goodness it looks stunning.

I've been playing DOOM for the first time on Ultra Violence. Really feels like a great balance of difficulty. There have definitely been sequences I had to replay multiple times, but my deaths (almost) always feel like my fault.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Tilt Brush.

Think about it.

edit: Which reminds me, Rez VR sweeps everything.

Zaph

In what world is reading a plot summary on wikipedia not reductive. The quality of a story is in the telling. Anyway thanks for telling me what I should think about it while making a bunch of assumptions.

Because within the context of their limitations (a podcast studio where they must end their deliberations that day) reading a summary is one of the very few possible solutions? It's not like they could load the game up and play it. I would agree if it was just a regular bombcast and that's just how he decided to offer his take on a game.

And you gave your opinion on the ending and I gave mine. Just because I didn't prefix imo or fwiw it's still obviously an opinion. Nobody is telling you what to think, relax.

What it comes down to is that if they'd finished the game, the Wikipedia fiasco wouldn't have happened. Can't put a game you haven't completed on your top 10.

I do exactly that every year.

Effect and Cause from Titanfall 2 has a good shot I think. Though I forget if a campaign mission fits into the best moment/sequence category.

That category is intentionally vague so they can fit whatever they need to into it. Titanfall should win.

And trust me, you guys don't want Handibot associated with Giant Bomb more than he is already.

We all know that Vinny completed the "campaign" of kerbal.
:p

Hah, well yeah I guess. Doesn't bother me!

robotrock

Banned
This set up looks like jeff brad alex and vinny are going to hand over the giant bomb keys to jason and dan and then start a patreon

2787868-6567091954-iJykb.gif

Johndoey

Banned
What are everyone's bets on best moment?
and why is it Handibot in Rec Room?
Spoilers incoming.

Cause and Effect from Titanfall 2

Infinite Warfare
Being spaced with Ethan

Uncharted 4
The sword fight with Rafe

Final Fantasy XV
The first time you go up in the Regalia Type-F, the start of the fight against Ifrit, discovering the secret dungeon, the after credits scene

Doom
The opening, the ending, the entire Olivia fight

Oxenfree
The opening, the ending, the mirror speaking to you, speaking through the mirror, the first possession

Actual best moments:

Hitman-
walking the catwalk
Inside-
the blob sequence
The Witness-
realising that environmental puzzles exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom