• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
I miss the days before my mind was poisoned and that was still the first Shield I thought of

I mean Alex has got to be Dutch, absolutely.

But that's not the problem. The landlord and his lease isn't letting him sublet.

Legal justifications for breaking a lease in California:

You or a Family Member Are a Victim of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Stalking, or Elder Abuse

Dan could hire a little kid to beat the shit out of him.

You Are Starting Active Military Duty

If you enter active military service after signing a lease, you have a right to break the lease under federal law. (War and National Defense Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, 50 App. U.S.C.A. §§ 501 and following.)

Even better!

killroy87

Who said anything about a conspiracy? They sign a non-disclosure agreement with the publisher.

For a content embargo? Do they? Im not even sure that's true, i think they are just informed of the embargo, and if they break it on a recurring basis, the publisher blacklists them. Most embargoes for games about to release aren't legally binding NDAs haha.

Thinking about it more, i refuse to believe publishers get signed NDAs from every outlet for every game. The logistics of that is ridiculous.

KorrZ

I would give them a tad more slack if anything they produced required heavy editing. That is the real time killer when it comes to video production. When 99% of your content is sitting in front of a camera straight playing a videogame, that's why the dry spells get annoying. I know they have meetings and bullshit to attend to, and GOTY time is super busy, but they manage to pump out a bunch of content when they have their membership sales and then leave it bare for weeks.

This. This. This.

I mean...I love Giant Bomb and have been a premium sub since the option opened. Let's be real though, the majority of GB features are basically glorified Let's Plays, they aren't sitting there spending hours editing each video. The GB East archives go up with all the technical issue fiddling around in tact all the time (not complaining, just illustrating the point).

With the staff they have and the combined man hours they should easily be able to commit to regular premium features on a weekly basis.

Jeff, I think it was, basically said that without the Premium subscribers Giant Bomb wouldn't exist.

So again, don't think of it as paying for "lamp" in general so much as Giant Bomb's continued existence. There will be lulls and explosions in letter, and that's how it's always been. More studios means more work, but it also means more coordination is required to avoid, say, Quick Looking the same game, or redundant tasks or whatever.

I can get that it's frustrating, but GB really shouldn't be viewed as a cranberry farm. That, I think, goes completely against what the site is all about.

There was also a time when he personally popped in to go over a typical day at work. Lots of meetings and planning, IIRC.

Yup. That's why as a paid subscriber, I'm against anyone around them in the company the wasting of their time for anything other than talking with other Duders about stuff they're doing or guests for their UPFs and podcasts and whatnot. Takes away valuable handcam time.

Dan picks the emails. It will be worth it in the end.

If only.

killroy87

This. This. This.

I mean...I love Giant Bomb and have been a premium sub since the option opened. Let's be real though, the majority of GB features are basically glorified Let's Plays, they aren't sitting there spending hours editing each video.

I could be wrong, but i think the last truly edit-heavy video that wasn't GOTY content was the roller coaster. I don't expect every video to be that, but the roller coaster was AWESOME content.

Giganteus

The PAX panels are fascinating. They're popular and seem to be getting more popular, but the panel almost always sucks. Paxamania is better though.
I get why they do them and I like them, too, but I don't think it has to be an annual thing. I just really believe GB would be better if they didn't do some of the things they do every year, and changed it up once and a while.

Like instead of PAX in 2017, how about something else? I remember Jeff talking about maybe doing that whole traveling around to various locations related to video game stuff. I just think they can do more, but they're kind of entrenching themselves into the same shit now.

Strax

This stuff about Jeff saying the only reason GB works is premium subs needs to stop. Yes, that is probably 100% true but that is not what they are selling. They did not put up a please, support us video on YouTube when the last sale happened. They put up Mario Party Party, Demo Derby and Game Tapes with a link and check out our other great stuff that is behind a paywall in the description box.

minty_ice

Banned
This stuff about Jeff saying the only reason GB works is premium subs needs to stop. Yes, that is probably 100% true but that is not what they are selling. They did not put up a please, support us video on YouTube when the last sale happened. They put up Mario Party Party, Demo Derby and Game Tapes with a link and check out our other great stuff that is behind a paywall in the description box.

but they have years of old premium content we've all watched already! think of the great value!!!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
For a content embargo? Do they? Im not even sure that's true, i think they are just informed of the embargo, and if they break it on a recurring basis, the publisher blacklists them. Most embargoes for games about to release aren't legally binding NDAs haha.

Thinking about it more, i refuse to believe publishers get signed NDAs from every outlet for every game. The logistics of that is ridiculous.
I have no idea if they do them every single time, but they even check sometimes and look up what they're allowed to talk about beforehand.

killroy87

I have no idea if they do them every single time, but they even check sometimes and look up what they're allowed to talk about beforehand.

Yeah, that's an embargo. Nothing you're saying is wrong, I'm just saying that's 100% standard industry practice, It isn't noteworthy in the least.

oti

Banned
Jeff, I think it was, basically said that without the Premium subscribers Giant Bomb wouldn't exist.

So again, don't think of it as paying for "content" in general so much as Giant Bomb's continued existence. There will be lulls and explosions in content, and that's how it's always been. More studios means more work, but it also means more coordination is required to avoid, say, Quick Looking the same game, or redundant tasks or whatever.

I can get that it's frustrating, but GB really shouldn't be viewed as a content farm. That, I think, goes completely against what the site is all about.

I can't share this view. This has nothing to do with a premium membership. If they want to scrap the whole premium system that's fine by me. Lower the price, call it ambassador program and scrap every single premium format.

FStop7

Banned
What little I know of Overwatch's fiction sounded like a very simplified version of Watchmen. They were a beloved group of heroes but then the public turned on them and they disbanded.

My main problem is that the brand expansion was supposed to increase their output and yet unless they are doing a bunch of live streams it feels like they just introduced a second series of bottlenecks.

and jeff likes anime now

helllloooooo the signs are there. Overwatch is numero uno

But Jeff's going to watch Gundam and have the same tepid response as he did to Ghost in the Shell.

Not that anyone should watch the original Gundam series in its TV format so he took some bad advice.

Hindl

"a lot of people on staff"

nah, dude

Vinny's gone into how frustrating it is to be the one video producer over on the East despite being a small team and not doing too much

also, the answer is probably that it's much more difficult to put content together in their situation than we realize, and the question is more why that is and less "why isn't there content"

I assume a lot of it has to do with CBSi bureaucracy. They're probably in meetings all the time, and any time they want to do something new they probably need to clear it with a bunch of different people.

Another thing to think about is that everyone is starting to settle down and start families. In their prime GB was all a bunch of youngish independent dudes that had a lot more free time. I'm rewatching the Persona 4 ER, and I got to Episode 50 where Vinny had to stay till far after midnight to get the episode up because it was corrupted and almost lost. That is a time-sensitive case, but I can't imagine Vinny today staying that late to get something done now when he has 2 young kids at home

FStop7

Banned
The best GitS is the Solid State Society made-for-TV movie but you can't appreciate what a mindfuck it is unless you've watched both seasons of Stand Alone Complex.

GitS on the whole is hard to explain given that the original GitS film and Innocence are directly connected but the SAC TV series + Solid State Society are a completely different continuity.

But Jeff's going to watch Gundam and have the same tepid response as he did to Ghost in the Shell.

Not that anyone should watch the original Gundam series in its TV format so he took some bad advice.

whoa

let's not talk crazy now. Gundam is a GOAT anime.

It's not a cranberry farm, ok.

But it's so fun! Not having a story is the best story a Blizzard game could've possibly had, especially given the Souls craze these days.

Plus, those shorts are pretty good.

The Bastion short is a better story about mechs that Respawn WISHES they could put out.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
But it's so fun! Not having a story is the best story a Blizzard game could've possibly had, especially given the Souls craze these days.

Plus, those shorts are pretty good.

It's good for what it is. I'm not saying I want more or a better story cause it doesn't matter.
I like Overwatch. I also think I hate most Overwatch fans. Some fan bases just make me want to hate the games (Overwatch, Undertale and the Souls games especially) by exaggerating everything. If I read one more time how amazing the story in Dark Souls is I'm gonna scream.

MG310

Level 20 in Sapienza! There's still some stuff I know that I can do but I'm jumping to Marekesh.

Hitman is amazing. Killing the virus became a bit old since I never found a way to do it outside going into the cave (I know there is, I just never found it). Besides that Sapienza is an amazing map.

I wish it had some reverse pick pocketing for planting guns on people who will be frisked or delivering remote bombs.

Is Last Guardian good?

It's the most moving and powerful games I've ever played. I just finished it tonight and have been an emotional wreck ever since. It's so, so good, if you're at all an animal person you really need to play it, the AI and animation on Trico is just the best, easily the most impressive and awesome (literal sense) digital creature I've ever interacted with.

So yeah, I think it's good. It's hands-down my GOTY.

Teddified

They don't get a day off they just work at home instead of coming in because they record the podcast on tuesday now. Also I doubt it's every monday like these past few weeks they probably been there working on GOTY.

It's the most moving and powerful games I've ever played. I just finished it tonight and have been an emotional wreck ever since. It's so, so good, if you're at all an animal person you really need to play it, the AI and animation on Trico is just the best, easily the most impressive and awesome (literal sense) digital creature I've ever interacted with.

So yeah, I think it's good. It's hands-down my GOTY.

Cool, I still need to finish Dishonored 2, hopefully in the meantime the game will get a patch to address those framerate issues (no ps4 pro for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom