• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I would give them a tad more slack if anything they produced required heavy editing. That is the real time killer when it comes to video production. When 99% of your content is sitting in front of a camera straight playing a videogame, that's why the dry spells get annoying. I know they have meetings and bullshit to attend to, and GOTY time is super busy, but they manage to pump out a bunch of content when they have their membership sales and then leave it bare for weeks.

This is the super frustrating part to me. I don't know what they're doing all day, but they have subscribers who've been paying them actual money for their #content years before Patreon was a thing. They have a professional setup YouTubers would dream of. They have a lot of people on staff. They have the equipment. So why is there not more #content? What is the frigging problem? No, I don't know how hard your job is or what you do all day what I do know is that there are sites and creators out there who manage to offer more #content with a MacGyver setup involving a potato and some wires than you do with a Hollywood studio. And they even do it on a regular basis! That's all we ask! I don't think anyone asks for daily premium content.

What gets me most is the stubbornness to even acknowledge this. I know bringing this up during GOTY season is the worst timing but this has been going on for ages.

We love you and all but come on. This relationship between us is deep enough, it can take some well-meaning criticism.

People who attack them personally are of course assholes. That goes without saying.

Dude, can you let them setup the studio first before going all Vbomb?

Giganteus

This is the super frustrating part to me. I don't know what they're doing all day, but they have subscribers who've been paying them actual money for their #content years before Patreon was a thing. They have a professional setup YouTubers would dream of. They have a lot of people on staff. They have the equipment. So why is there not more #content? What is the frigging problem? No, I don't know how hard your job is or what you do all day what I do know is that there are sites and creators out there who manage to offer more #content with a MacGyver setup involving a potato and some wires than you do with a Hollywood studio. And they even do it on a regular basis! That's all we ask! I don't think anyone asks for daily premium content.

What gets me most is the stubbornness to even acknowledge this. I know bringing this up during GOTY season is the worst timing but this has been going on for ages.

We love you and all but come on. This relationship between us is deep enough, it can take some well-meaning criticism.

People who attack them personally are of course assholes. That goes without saying.
CBSi has a lot to do with it, from what I've gathered. They can put out more content in theory, but there's other things they have to do during the day, like bullshit meetings. And they have a lot of people on staff compared to a Youtuber, sure, but they don't have that freedom to create as much content as they should be able to. Considering what they actually have to do, they are pretty understaffed.

With that said, that doesn't take away their problem of less content, or really inconsistent drips of it. When you see ONE person on YouTube doing more, it's a problem, a problem that they're hopefully wanting to fix, if it can even be fixed.

Strax

Brad taught me how to deal with criticism. That’s not a joke, either. There were weeks where I saw fans of ours pile onto him unfairly—unaware of whatever really difficult task he was hard at work at accomplishing—and he was just fucking head down on what had to get done. But he also listened when people had real, important, constructive critique. Super important lesson

dead2.gif

I love Brad but lol

KingKong

What does he do all day? 🤔

well, according to Austin

Like everyone else at GB, work his fucking ass off. The business of working in games journalism—especially at a site with only a handful of people at it—means getting a lot of stuff done that is totally invisible from the outside. Endless meetings, tons of paperwork, editing podcasts, prepping features, writing. There's a always a ton to do.

you know, all those features

neshcom

Banned
I prefer that the guys don't do blind QLs and only play games they've tried and can know something about. I'd prefer that to a lot of short QLs about junk games.

Jeff, I think it was, basically said that without the Premium subscribers Giant Bomb wouldn't exist.

So again, don't think of it as paying for "content" in general so much as Giant Bomb's continued existence. There will be lulls and explosions in content, and that's how it's always been. More studios means more work, but it also means more coordination is required to avoid, say, Quick Looking the same game, or redundant tasks or whatever.

I can get that it's frustrating, but GB really shouldn't be viewed as a content farm. That, I think, goes completely against what the site is all about.
"a lot of people on staff"

nah, dude

Vinny's gone into how frustrating it is to be the one video producer over on the East despite being a small team and not doing too much

also, the answer is probably that it's much more difficult to put content together in their situation than we realize, and the question is more why that is and less "why isn't there content"
There was also a time when he personally popped in to go over a typical day at work. Lots of meetings and planning, IIRC.

justjim89

Playback is still really stuttery and prone to buffering on the new player for me. Thankfully there's no content to watch currently, but still.

oti

Banned
"a lot of people on staff"

nah, dude

Vinny's gone into how frustrating it is to be the one video producer over on the East despite being a small team and not doing too much

also, the answer is probably that it's much more difficult to put content together in their situation than we realize, and the question is more why that is and less "why isn't there content"

They've got to be more people than the majority of sites that put video up on the internet.

Maybe the analogy here strangely enough is Nintendo emulation. Super slow due to their own high standards while the internet can emulate everything in five nanoseconds. I get that. I get that they want to offer higher quality, different camera angles and so on. Here's the question though, is that stuff actually needed in the end? Does the podcast video need different camera angles and someone controlling them all the time? This stuff is great for UPF and shows of course and they do give GB the professional edge over YouTuber.

Again, I don't know what the problem here is and tbh I don't care. Somewhat frequent #content is all I'm asking. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Giganteus

They've got to be more people than the majority of sites that put video up on the internet.

Maybe the analogy here strangely enough is Nintendo emulation. Super slow due to their own high standards while the internet can emulate everything in five nanoseconds. I get that. I get that they want to offer higher quality, different camera angles and so on. Here's the question though, is that stuff actually needed in the end? Does the podcast video need different camera angles and someone controlling them all the time? This stuff is great for UPF and shows of course and they do give GB the professional edge over YouTuber.

Again, I don't know what the problem here is and tbh I don't care. Somewhat frequent #content is all I'm asking. That's not too much to ask, is it?
If you continue to ignore how much they actually need to do during a work day at CBSi, then it makes sense to you that they can put out more content by cutting various cameras out of the equation, but it's not that simple.

Meneses

If Hitman doesn't win, it will just be another shit GotY decision and all it will boil down to is the degree of shittiness it ends up being.

I wonder if Austin ended up doing something. I can see them building up a "fake" tie between two games and someone going "well we need to call an expert" and then Austin shows up on screen to break the tie.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They do a lot of one time content. Basically every QL is a new endeavour to get familiar with it, play through parts of it, maybe sign a deal etc.

That's why every time they do actually start a series, their output increases tremendously. So yeah, not sure why they are so against doing that more often. They recorded the whole Shenmue playthrough in a few days and it did really well for them, I think.

oti

Banned
If you continue to ignore how much they actually need to do during a work day at CBSi, then it makes sense to you that they can put out more content by cutting various cameras out of the equation, but it's not that simple.

How can I ignore something I know next to nothing about? If they have to sit in pointless meetings all day that totally sucks of course.

neshcom

Banned
Here's the question though, is that stuff actually needed in the end? Does the podcast video need different camera angles and someone controlling them all the time? This stuff is great for UPF and shows of course and they do give GB the professional edge over YouTuber.

The live streams need an engineer and that studio is already set up. If the podcasts already have an engineer for recording, having them switch makes for a better product to put out with basically no extra wasted man-hours. As someone who does that exact same job,I know first-hand that I could just leave it be, but I've still got to sit in that chair and make sure the system doesn't break. Adding switching in that instance is minor.

oti

Banned
The live streams need an engineer and that studio is already set up. If the podcasts already have an engineer for recording, having them switch makes for a better product to put out with basically no extra wasted man-hours. As someone who does that exact same job,I know first-hand that I could just leave it be, but I've still got to sit in that chair and make sure the system doesn't break. Adding switching in that instance is minor.

Interesting, thanks for the info. They also did work on that solution for quite some time before they started with the live podcasts, just tossing it away would be a shame then.

Giganteus

How can I ignore something I know next to nothing about? If they have to sit in pointless meetings all day that totally sucks of course.
Fair enough, but they've talked about it several times and it's been mentioned here a lot, as well.

I do think there's some things they could probably cut out during the year, like doing 300 PAXs, but they still think that's worth doing. Well, Jeff does.

I also don't think I need to be seeing video stuff with GOTY content every year, unless they've got a really solid idea to go with, but they seem married to it, like with the PAX bullshit.

killroy87

They do a lot of one time content. Basically every QL is a new endeavour to get familiar with it, play through parts of it, maybe sign a deal etc.

That's why every time they do actually start a series, their output increases tremendously. So yeah, not sure why they are so against doing that more often. They recorded the whole Shenmue playthrough in a few days and it did really well for them, I think.

What?

killroy87

Fair enough, but they've talked about it several times and it's been mentioned here a lot, as well.

I do think there's some things they could probably cut out during the year, like doing 300 PAXs, but they still think that's worth doing. Well, Jeff does.

The PAX panels are fascinating. They're popular and seem to be getting more popular, but the panel almost always sucks. Paxamania is better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom