• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 40 side quests done with no fast travelling. The game is so damn relaxing with its world, characters, music, etc that I enjoy just talking to different characters for their quests, then relaxing with the drive, listening to the FF1+4 soundtracks while seeing the different environments I go by. Also helps with using the perks for gaining AP and EXP for long drives.

Also recently unlocked the portable MP3 player. Just wandering around the open world in places I haven't thoroughly explored yet with the FF1 or FF4 overworld music playing is connecting with me in a weirdly cool way.

I totally agree with everything here... I'm almost 30 hours in and I'm on chapter 5/6. I didn't think this would be my type of game, but man is it really laid back and relaxing just driving and doing side quests... I'll come home and play for a couple of hours just doing side stuff, and I usually also have on a GB video or Twitch so I'm not 100% focused on the game until story stuff happens.

I actually watched that FFXV Kingslglaive movie last night and it wasn't half bad... Helps me understand the overall story better because that game doesn't explain it very well in the beginning... I would recommend watching it if you're enjoying the game.

Zaph

"Just to be clear; it was awesome!" lol

I really want to play the Doom 4C prototype, but I'm glad it never saw the light of day. Going from Doom 3 into Call of Doom would be rough.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I haven't played FFXV but the combat in DA:I was really, really, really boring. The complete lack of any support or team abilities made me never switch to an ally ever, just stand back with my mage and hit the abilities buttons when they were ready. Then again DA:I is by far the worst cRPG I've ever played, soooooo...

kai3345

Banned
I'm not super far into FFXV (just started chapter 2) so maybe it gets better. But as of right now I could definitely agree that Inquisition has more enjoyable combat.

First part of Danny's DOOM documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA

pKdEzMn.gif

The second half of the doc is damn good. Also, DOOM 3.

GB Gaffers I need your help! Which JackBox Party pack should I buy for a holiday party coming up?? Most people will have never played any of these games before.

GB Gaffers I need your help! Which JackBox Party pack should I buy for a holiday party coming up?? Most people will have never played any of these games before.

They all have their low points, but JackBox 2 is the worst of the 3 I think.

JBPP1: Fibbage and Drawful are great. YDKJ is really good but only 4 people, word spud and lieswatter aren't very good

JBPP2: Fibbage 2 is just more fibbage, quiplash is good, bidiots sucks hard, earwax is lame, and I don't remember playing bomb corp. more than once

JBPP3: quiplash 2 is better than Quiplash in PP2, and still good. Trivia Murder Party is our groups favorite game in the entire set, Guesspionage is the weakest in the group and not great, Tee KO is awesome but takes way too long,
Fakin It works in certain situations. We played at a party with 5 people who were new to the group and there were some questions that don't work if you dont actually know who the fuck is playing.

you could also just buy PP3, standalone Drawful 2 and fibbage xl and that would cover all the good ones

or get PP1 since it's the strongest full experience imo

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I unlocked the Mt Dew execution for Titanfall 2. I am very disappointed that it has no Dew drinking animation involved in it.

Go full on stupid if you're gonna do stupid stereotypical partnerships

That DOOM video is the exact kind of thing I want Danny to be doing. He can do all the dumb YouTube bullshit he likes and I'll be happy so long as he keeps those documentaries coming.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Am I crazy to feel like DOOM pulled some inspiration from Metroid Prime? I don't play a ton of FPS so I could be missing some big games in the interim that did the same thing, but the emphasis on dodging non-hitscan projectiles through aggressive jumping and generally taking advantage of the 3D nature of the environments felt very reminiscent of the Prime games

Ashby

Am I crazy to feel like DOOM pulled some inspiration from Metroid Prime? I don't play a ton of FPS so I could be missing some big games in the interim that did the same thing, but the emphasis on dodging non-hitscan projectiles through aggressive jumping and generally taking advantage of the 3D nature of the environments felt very reminiscent of the Prime games

No, a lot of people have made the same observation.

I absolutely felt this too, particularly in the level where you get the double-jump. The hidden secrets and collectibles also add to the Metroid Prime vibe (not to mention the map).

oti

Banned
I'm not super far into FFXV (just started chapter 2) so maybe it gets better. But as of right now I could definitely agree that Inquisition has more enjoyable combat.
The battle system of FF XV is super weird at the beginning. It just doesn't make much sense but trust me, it will click eventually and be a lot of fun.

DA:I is just bad. There's nothing there.

tonka

The battle system of FF XV is super weird at the beginning. It just doesn't make much sense but trust me, it will click eventually and make a lot of fun.

DA:I is just bad. There's nothing there.

I haven't played FFXV yet because someone's offered to gift it to me for Christmas, but DA:I is I think the worst video game purchasing decision I've made in a while.

Simultaneously inspired me to buy an SSD for my computer, and then when I started playing, finally pushed me over on never wanting to just buy a game with anticipation and past developers games

oti

Banned
I haven't played FFXV yet because someone's offered to gift it to me for Christmas, but DA:I is I think the worst video game purchasing decision I've made in a while.

Simultaneously inspired me to buy an SSD for my computer, and then when I started playing, finally pushed me over on never wanting to just buy a game with anticipation and past developers games

I played through DA:I because it was part of EA Access on the Xbox One I bought. I regret wasting my time on that game but it was the only reason to use the Xbox. Sadness all around.

I mean

Doom did those things. Like, OG Doom. Except the jumping part, I guess. Errant Signal has videos on both OG Doom and nuDoom (the new video is a lot better than old one)

Ashby

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine there's been a lot of cross pollination between ID and Retro what with them both being Texas studios that make 3D first person games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom